Matthew 24 - "This Generation": If you are a Jehovahs Witness that dares to study the Bible itself...

by defender of truth 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

defenderoftruth - "If you are a Jehovahs Witness that dares to study the Bible itself..."

...you probably won't stay a Jehovah's Witness for very long.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Which generation was Christ referring to in Matthew 24:34?

The Greek word “genea” (pronounced ghen-eh-ah') appears thirteen times in Matthew's gospel. Four times it is used to delineate “one set of parents to the next”. Ignoring Matthew 24:34 for the moment, in every other appearance, including 6 of the instances Matthew places the definite article “this” (houtos) before “generation”, “this generation” (houtos genea), in context, clearly cover the same group of people -i.e. “Christ's contemporaries”

Mt 11:16 But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 12:41 The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.
    (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 12:42 "The Queen of the South will rise up with this generation at the judgment and will condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. (the persons then living contemporary with Christ).

Mt 12:45 "Then it goes and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself.... That is the way it will also be with this evil generation ." (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 17:17 And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? ..." (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 23:36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

Reading Mt.23:36 in context again shows " the persons then living contemporary with Christ are being referred to:

29. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye build the sepulchres of the prophets, and garnish the tombs of the righteous, 30 and say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we should not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye witness to yourselves, that ye are sons of them that slew the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. :33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of Gehenna? 34 Therefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: some of them shall ye kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city: 35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 24:34
    "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.
    What generation was Jesus referring to Matthew 24:34?
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The disciples therefore inquire concerning two things; 1st, the time of the destruction of Jerusalem; and, 2nd, the signs of it.

Spot on!

• username
    username

Vanderhoven7, I second that. Mathew 24 has been fulfilled 2000 years ago. The fall of Jerusalem being regarded as the sign of the end. How any religion can use a 2000 year old book and apply it to today's standards I have no idea.

The key is the disciples asking when THEY would know the end was coming. Not us.

• Sabin
    Sabin
    DOT good to see your on top form. Great post mate.
  • mrquik
    mrquik
    Jesus' warning of Jerusalem's destruction came within his belief of what a "generation" was. Those that heard the warning in 33 AD were still alive in 70 AD to benefit from it. Of what value would the warning have been if all those he warned had fallen asleep in death? So the question begs an answer; Who do you follow? Words of Jesus or the opinions of men? All this leads back to the absolute fact that 1914 was the beginning or ending of NOTHING. And you have wasted your life (if still in) following men. Which, if you are following WT teaching, means you're still in the Gentile Times. Which means the one true religion is not here. Nor is Jesus' kingdom. Which means, all existing religions are false. Which means you are in a false religion, actually a part of "Babylon the Great". Which means you should follow Biblical directive to "get out of her my people". How's that for circular reasoning?
  • floriferous
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

Thank you to everyone for the positive feedback, and even a BTTT!

Really kind of you all, made me feel like it was worth the effort. Looking back on it now, I'm not sure how anyone could be bothered to read it, lol.

Life's good at the moment ;)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Good stuff here, but here is a question for whom ever wants to give it a go. These scriptures seem to be talking about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 ce yet here is a major problem, most of the scriptures were written after 70ce. 1john says they are in the last hour of the last days and in the book of Revelations written very late, says Jesus is coming very soon several times. So were these writers writing about something that had already happened and back dating the story as one author states the gospel writers were doing or were they talking about a different date?
  • Trev
    Trev

In the small blue book, The truth that leads to eternal life, page 95 says, " but there are people still living who were alive in 1914 and saw what was happening then and who were old enough that they still remember those events. This generation is getting up in years now. A great number of them have already passed away in death. Yet Jesus very pointedly said, this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Some of them will still be alive to see the end of this wicked system. This means that only a short time is left before the end comes!"

i

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit