Consciousness and Quantum Spookiness

by D wiltshire 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Im sure most know something about Quantum physics. It is weird but very accurate, they say it is the most accurate theory that we have. It predicts mathematically how atoms will act, and what electrons and photons will do.

Many Physicist who know this theory feel that mater at the subatomic has a certain consciousness that governs how it will respond to certain observations.

Even thought the theorys very foundation is based on "Probability" and "Uncertainty" it is very accurate.

Take radioactivity for an example: certain isotopes of elements are radioactive and have determined half-lives this is very puzzling to find this seemingly collective consciousness among radioactive material determining which atom must decay.

Now take our brain:

Man knows still so little about how we achieve human consciousness. How it is that we have a sense of "self", so far defies an answer. Some Physicists have proposed that the human brain may work in some ways on a "Quantum level" utilizing the seeming consciousness of subatomic particles to accomplish this.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well Wiltshire, I understand what you are saying and I agree with the thoughts you expressed.

Now if only I could explain it to someone else, I would be happy.

I wonder if MIT has a free online course on Quantum physics.

Outoftheorg

• Introspection
    Introspection
    Man knows still so little about how we achieve human consciousness. How it is that we have a sense of "self", so far defies an answer. Some Physicists have proposed that the human brain may work in some ways on a "Quantum level" utilizing the seeming consciousness of subatomic particles to accomplish this.

It's almost like consciousness starts going "Hmm, you mean it's not all about thoughts?" isn't it? Of course, however much we "know" about it is just another conceptual framework. Just pulled this quote by Ramana Maharshi: "Everyone has experience of the Self every moment of his life." According to that, I suppose the only question is whether they know it or not.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

see below

Edited by - D wiltshire on 11 February 2003 23:33:48

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Out,

Now if only I could explain it to someone else, I would be happy.

I don't think anyone can yet.

Intro,

It's almost like consciousness starts going "Hmm, you mean it's not all about thoughts?" isn't it?

Those are good questions. Many people think that "Thoughts" are consciousness. But it seems to me that it is at much deeper level than just thoughts. It is like consciousness is sitting there pushing the thoughts out for you to see and feel.

I could never believe the WT about what they said the ressurrection was:

God making a body and putiing in the brain of that body our recorded thoughts similar to a video recording, and thats how we come back in the ressurection. It never made sense because I know the identity of self is not just our thoughts, there has to be an essents of some sort that is above our thoughts.

Edited by - D wiltshire on 11 February 2003 23:31:52

• Introspection
    Introspection

D,

I think it's important to distinguish between whether one knows this stuff in theory or in practice. It's interesting to read about it in theory, but it's very interesting to hear it from someone who has no knowledge of quantum physics describe it in their own language. Of course, even then it isn't the words that's important, but it's the fact that they've 'tapped into it' you might say. It's kind of like someone who renders lip service to the idea of love, as opposed to someone who never thinks about it but just acts in such a way.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Intro,

I think it's important to distinguish between whether one knows this stuff in theory or in practice. It's interesting to read about it in theory, but it's very interesting to hear it from someone who has no knowledge of quantum physics describe it in their own language.

Are you saying you know someone who understands what consciousness really is?

• Introspection
    Introspection

D,

That's up to you to decide isn't it? (or me, as the case may be) We can use the word consciousness in two ways: human consciousness, or the typical mind sets of people, or just plain consciousness or we might say pure consciousness, awareness. To understand the typical mind set type of consciousness, you need the latter - otherwise it's just a couple of ego structures bouncing off each other.

I think this is something we can go into in more depth in person, but I will say this: it relates to fear of death. I started out posting about that with the last reply, but didn't know how to tie it in. The thing is, everything dies from moment to moment anyways, so to someone who really realizes this the death of the human organism or the immediate prospect of such is not that big a deal. In other words, the death of the typical human consciousness is not a concern because there is the pure consciousness, which is really plain consciousness.

I might see you at the south bay support group, so we could talk then.

Mark

Edited by - Introspection on 12 February 2003 0:21:22

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Intro,

I look forward to it.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

New age gurus have seized upon this burgeoning science and have cleaned up due to the public's sketchy understanding of this esoteric science and our hunger to believe we are immortal. The Skeptic Society and other science magazines have debunked this hogwash and misrepresentation of quantum physics in recent publications. Mysticism sells but it also smells.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit