Atheists/Agnostics/Prayer

by patio34 69 Replies latest jw friends

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Jan,
    While I am not sure I appreciate your tone......

I 'll give it a go

your here..so there has to be something driving that keyboard.... not that damn ridiculous body you parade around in.

In your world , if spirit doesn't exist....where does the energy in your body come from..........

....the world over here..has lots of spirit........some contained in body and some otherwise .....

if you need an explantion of spirit............
    explain why you breathe and how you started,
    and if a smack on your ass doesnt work
    smack your head....

QUite happy you disagree............

perhaps you should read Rudolf Steiner.....

http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Lectures/ManPic_index.html#note1

please have a nice day

• rem
    rem

Stephenw20,

:In your world , if spirit doesn't exist....where does the energy in your body come from..........

Energy comes from food.

:....the world over here..has lots of spirit........some contained in body and some otherwise .....

Yet this spirit has never been detected. Can you demonstrate this spirit? Can it be measured? Quantified?

:if you need an explanation of spirit............
    :explain why you breathe and how you started,

What? There is no reason to bring a spirit into the picture to understand these things. Do you believe that all living things have spirit? What about fish? Bacteria? Viruses? Is the spirit in the DNA molecules? Where do we look to find the spirit? What does the spirit explain that scientific theories do not? Does a brain-dead person have a spirit? Does alcohol affect your spirit or just your body? Where does the spirit go when you die? How do you know?

Every question you brought up can be explained without resorting to a belief in some mysterious spirit.

I have to confess, I don't know whether you are being serious or if you are joking.

rem

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Hippikon,

You said: By refering to charitable "funds" you minimize the problem and are passing the buck.

Please explain why donating to charitable funds to help others is passing the buck.

I am sure you fly to Africa and help feed the hungry in person. Give me a break!

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

"Do you believe that all living things have spirit? "

YES!

"Does a brain-dead person have a spirit? "

I don't know are you dead when you sleep.........?

Does alcohol affect your spirit or just your body?
    Yes, both.........it affects managing your spirit.....

Where does the spirit go when you die? ASk Paul,Peter. Ron Roth, Deepak Chopora, Norman Shealy, Andrew Weil, Carolyn Myss, Neil Donald Walsh,

I would say spirit goes to the same place it was before you started... the bible says the same

"How do you know?"..... It was written down somewhere , there are examples,........ I dont know...is gravity real or just an idea......

"How do you KNOW.."........guess thats the point........you dont....I have faith.........I can live with that.....

S

• emyrose
    emyrose

Why is it that several atheists on this
    thread seem to have no qualms about being
    insensitive and rude to people that don't
    agree with them on every point? Is atheism
    another form of dogmatism?
    Just a thought, no offense intended,
    Emyrose

• JanH
    JanH

emyrose,

Why is it, as soon as The True Believers have lost the argument, they change tactics to attacking persons and applying all sorts of bad vices to their opponents?

Personally, I prefer to be honestly and clearly told that I am wrong to being accused of being immoral simply for disagreeing with them. Perhaps you are different.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• emyrose
    emyrose

JanH, my friend, I was not trying to win. Take note of this carefully, please. There are different views on the existence of
    God. You have yours and I have my. Neither one of us can prove in
    the absolute that we are correct. Remember you are not all knowing.
    God may be looking at you right now from from a dimension you can't
    see or feel, or he may not be. I can't say for sure, but neither can
    you. As for my resorting to "all sorts of bad vices to [my] opponents," Opps. I'm sorry but I didn't think of you as an opponent.
    I have been trying to share my thoughts on God, not flooding you with evidence for my believe. I think you can be too rude,(how you get immoral from this, BTW) to handle sometimes, and decided call this to your attention. I also noticed that you tend to be to set on your ideas, not flexible and dogmatic, that's all though. Conversing with you is challenging, interesting, exciting. But at times is can be
    unpleasant too.
    Emyrose

• larc
    larc

emyrose,

If you go back and read the original post, you will find that Patio meant to discuss what atheists and agnostics thought. I asked Crossroads to stay out of it so we wouldn't be flooded with people trying to convince us otherwise. Please go back and reread Patio's original post and my first post. We didn't ask for this debate or even want it, but the believers insist on foisting their ideas on others even when asked not to. By the way, when you called a JW a jerk on another post, weren't you being rude, or does rudeness just apply to the other person?

• emyrose
    emyrose

Hi Larc,
    Relative rudeness.
    If you curse at me must I stay silent, or can I tell you
    that you are being rude.
    Relativism, my friend
    Emyrose
    PS, I'm sorry I participate when you guys asked me not to.
    I'll stay away now.

• hippikon
    hippikon

Scorpion by name scorpion by nature. We are getting off the topic a bit. You haven't realy refuted my argument (or understood it for that mater)

Superfine Apostate Class

"But it does move"
    Galileo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit