What if the US loses?

by Robdar 97 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Actually, I'd bet money that Oprah (whom I admire greatly) and CNN didn't suggest that folks viewing her show should watch Fox or read George Will and his ilk for the other viewpoint, now did they?

Fark,

Nope, they didn't. But so far, I haven't seen you suggest to the ones who watch Fox or read George Will to watch Oprah (who you admire greatly) or CNN for another viewpoint. What gives? I was not implying that you are a hypocrite. I know that you are not. I do believe, however, that in the heat of tapping on your key boards that you just throw arguments out there without thinking of how they reflect back on you. When you suggest that others on this forum watch CNN and Oprah as well as Fox to get a balanced viewpoint, I will take back my statement. Until then, it stands.

My second point runs thusly, and follow me here my left-wing friends, because I am going to spell it out for you in simple terms.

Czar,

If you think I am a liberal in anything other than the arts, you are sadly mistaken. Stop lumping all the ones who are against this war into the category of liberal/left wing. Thank you.

Love ya both,

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 10 February 2003 1:6:29

Edited by - robdar on 10 February 2003 1:7:17

• Farkel
    Farkel

Robyn,

: When you suggest that others on this forum watch CNN and Oprah as well as Fox to get a balanced viewpoint, I will take back my statement. Until then, it stands.

In fact, I'm one of those who do watch CNN, Oprah AND Fox. I want to hear all sides. I'm not dogmatic. I know that both political spectrums are flawed. That's why I want to hear all the evidence presented before I form my opinion. I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat. My basic philosophy is Libertarian, but I think the Libertarian Party stinks and their platform is stupid. Philosophies cannot be easily chopped up and put into little neat boxes. Things are more complicated than that.

Oprah is one my favorite people, but that doesn't make everything she says right.

Farkel

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    Bush is an arrogant dictator who IMO is no better than Hussein

Really now? Bush has attempted to have his own daughters assassinated? Bush has tried chemical weapons on his own people? Bush kills anyone who happens to disagree with him?

Come on, Prisca. Dictator? Making such sensational statements only trivialize the true barbarian that is Saddam Hussein.

However, the events of Sept 11 is symptomatic of the fact that America often puts it's nose into other countries' affairs, without regard for the culture and laws of those countries. And if America keeps poking and pushing people, eventually people are going to strike back. And they did.
    The statements I made are based on facts

You stated that to me in a thread several months ago. I disagreed with you then, and I disagree with you now. There are NO FACTS to support your statements.

If Al-qaeda is behind Sept 11 their reasons for terrorist attacks IS NOT because we are sticking our nose where it doesn't belong. So, in Prisca's World, American Isolationism is the answer to stop terrorism.

First off Bin Laden stated he wanted three things to happen before there would be any consideration that terrorist attacks would stop.

1. All infidels (Americans) out of the Holy Land (Saudi Arabia).

We were invited by the Saudis to set up military bases there when Iraq invaded Kuwait. The Saudis want our continued presence. We didn't "stick our nose" in there, we were INVITED by the government. So, because Muslim Extremist don't want us there, we deserve to be torched?

2. Stop supporting Israel and their "oppression" of the Palestinians.

If it were up to Arabs, Israel would be destroyed. So, we should just sit by and allow that to happen? Just askin' . Betcha Israel would want us to "stick our nose in".

3. Lift the embargo against Iraq.

Of course, an embargo placed as to hopefully cripple Saddams regime after the Gulf War, WHICH SADDAM STARTED.

And a final request not tied to the others: That we all convert to Islam.

Also, you have to take into account the fans of undeserved Anti-Americanism being flammed by oppressive regimes as to take their peopleS attention off of THEM.

I was watching Book TV on C-SPAN ("watching book TV" Oh, how AMERICAN can I be?) and Yale Professor and author Amy Chua was being interviewed. She penned a booktitled: World on Fire: How Exporting Free Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability. The subject of the Sept 11th and "friendly anti-americanism" came up. Who leads that list according to her? Australians! It seems the "US had Sept 11 coming" is quite the common opinion there.

Also just so everyone knows: we are not hated everywhere. The MUSLIMS in Kosovo are quite grateful that we are there and want us to stay a spell. Also, Kuwait is still glad we came over and ousted the Iraqis.

Back to the original question: What if we lose?

Militarily, Saddam doesn't have a prayer.

Politically, it's a mine field for the US. Most Americans are not convinced that Saddam is a direct threat. Hence, the reason that Bush is so desperately trying to tie him to Al-qaeda. He's attempting to get public support. Americans understand that Al-qaeda is a direct threat to themselves. However, no solid proof is available that Saddam has any connection with Bin Laden. It has the makings of quite a mess.

I don't want people to die, but either way, people are going to die.

Andee

• Robdar
    Robdar

in fact, I'm one of those who do watch CNN, Oprah AND Fox. I want to hear all sides. I'm not dogmatic. I know that both political spectrums are flawed.

Farkel,

In my previous post on page 4, you said:

Oprah and CNN are bleeding-heart liberals, folks. They are totally biased and rarely present in a fair manner any views opposite to theirs. For balance, try the Fox Network.

I responded: LMAO. The pot calls the kettle black.

On page 5, I said:

When you suggest that others on this forum watch CNN and Oprah as well as Fox to get a balanced viewpoint, I will take back my statement. Until then, it stands

I take back my previous statement.

Love,

Robyn

Edited for fomatting.

Edited by - robdar on 10 February 2003 1:49:42

Edited by - robdar on 10 February 2003 1:51:41

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Robdar,

I apologize for lumping you in with the liberals. I also am a struggling conservative amidst my liberal artistic compatriots.

CZAR

• Robdar
    Robdar

Czar,

We're cool. Thanks.

Love ya,

Robyn

• Farkel
    Farkel

czar,

: I also am a struggling conservative amidst my liberal artistic compatriots.

I love an honest person. You are in the perfect place. I, too, struggle with those very issues. That's why I basically told Robin that there are thieves in every political persuasion.

I'm still adament that Sadaam must be stopped now, though. I've seen no real arguments that have convinced me that he will stop his nonsense and the losses will be equal to or less than they will be now, when we are forced to stop him down the road. And he will NOT stop until he is stopped. The man is a criminal and a barbarian. So do we stop him now or do we stop him later? If we stop him later will it cost us more than if we stop him now?

Arguments, anyone?

Farkel

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Yep, Fark, you summed it up nicely. Take 'em out!

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit