Did you destroy your records/LPs/Tapes?

by RAYZORBLADE 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I am just wondering.

For those of you who were Jehovah's Witnesses back in the late 70s and early 80s, did any of you ever destroy your records/LPs or cassette tapes after one of those talks at an assembly about 'demonic music', 'backwards masking' and so on?

I remember I had some records destroyed, but I couldn't do it. I remember giving the records to someone else to do it. I remember them breaking them in another room, and I couldn't stand it.

A few years later, I went right back and bought the very records that had been destroyed. By then, CDs had come out.

What was some of the weirdest things you've heard or claimed as a result of 'some' music possessed by JWs at that time?

• zev
    zev

yup. i did. debasing music it was called.

• blondie
    blondie

Nope, just put different covers on the albums that I got at Goodwill and tossed the disk. (I'm old) By the time cassettes came in I just recorded my music over a theocratic cassette. JWs are only interested in the outside appearance anyway.

Blondie

• Brummie
    Brummie
    A few years later, I went right back and bought the very records that had been destroyed. By then, CDs had come out.

Same here Razor, the records I ditched because they were considered too "sultry" I went and got back years later.

Brummie

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i was told a rumour once that a JW had a Metallica song book which floated up into the air and flew across the room.... not that i dont believe that sort of thing doesnt happen (poltergiests etc), but imply that it had something to do with metallica is just so ignorant.

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

One day, in an uncharacteristic fit of conscience, I threw aways 'Madonna's Erotica' CD. Come to think of it, I might have just thrown it away because it was pants.

I had plenty of 'questionable' music, but if it was music I loved it wasn't going anywhere and I was just discreet about it. Except for the time when I gave a couple of Pioneers a lift in my car and forgot that I had Salt 'n' Pepa's 'Let's talk about Sex' on my cassette in the car. Oops.

• archangel01
    archangel01

Let's talk about Dub's baby, let's talk about you and them, let's talk about all the good thing's all the bad things, let's talk about Dub's....

Who's the Mac Daddy now BBBitch...............

Edited by - archangel01 on 4 February 2003 9:8:44

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

You guys are too funny!

HEY...just a note: I am a MASTER MEMBER now.

Blondie, that was so clever, taking the covers off, and replacing the LP inside a more pleasing record cover. Very clever.

Oddly enough, when I did go back and buy those records, it's interesting to hear them so many years later. Even after I had left the Jehovah's Witnesses, I simply forgot most of what I had. Going through a vintage record store here in Toronto (there are many) I saw records I had completely forgotten about: I BOUGHT EACH AND EVERY ONE that I had either thrown out or was destroyed.

I remember one song off of John Lennon & Yoko Ono's record that people claimed, when played backwards sounded like Yoko saying: 'I shot John Lennon'. I checked it out, but it's so far fetched that you could have interpretted it for anything.

Even Lene Lovich's album cover was one time said by some fundamentalists as connected to witchcraft. (LOL) - Lene was unusual, but enjoyable to listen to. Once interviewed, she had a cabbage on her head. Witchcraft? Indeed . LOL

• ballistic
    ballistic

Does anyone remember the common belief that "backward masking" was used to insert demonic thoughts into music? When played back backwards some snipets of music appear to be words and phrases understandable to our sub-concious.

There are cases were music has been released with "secret messages", however most cited incidencies were purely coincidental.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Nope. I thought it was just a bunch of hooey. I remember the talks about backward masking and I remember thinking that they must not have anything better to do than come up with this nonsense. Just because I was a good little JW, didn't mean I believed everything they sent down the pike. Besides, ain't no way I'm getting rid of my Beatles albums!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit