Stress of Going to a Summer Convention

by LostintheFog1999 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

Spotted this picture on a friend's page, he was highlighting the mental health issue.

However,we thought the magazine on STRESS was deliberately placed in the summer months because for any JW going to a convention, paying high season hotel rates for themselves or their whole family to stay near the convention centre, fighting coworkers and managers to get the time off work, travelling expenses, buying their own meals for the family, buying new shiny suits and dresses to impress (particularly if you have teenage girls who are looking for their prince), and more...

By the time they come home again and straight away back to work, their nerves will be so frazzled that their stress levels will have sky rocketed!

As brother Elder says to them, "Don't worry. Here's the magazine to take away all your worries about the debt you have incurred, and find relief from stress. Just read it!"

Lol. I'm glad that is all in the past for me nowadays. I can holiday when and where I want to be in the summer months. Gone are those days of enforced rigidity. Hallelujah.

• Not Jacob
    Not Jacob

We were fortunate to have conventions within driving distance of home for many years.

Then came the debacle "International Conventions" and we were directed to travel to Detroit MI.

I remember expressing concerns over incomplete directions provided at meetings leading up. When I would ask, "What should we do if X happens?" The response from the Elders was invariably "Trust that Jeh will take care of us."

The convention was a bungled logistical nightmare. Friday We waited over an hour for shuttle from stadium to our parked vehicle. My elderly diabetic mother nearly passed out from lack of evening meal. Trust, HA

One of the events that helped me see the fraudulent nature of the JW org

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

All JWs that quitted their Jobs or lost job caused they hade to attend assemblys. I remember watchtower bragging and giving advice that God would bless your efforts if you quit job to attend assemblys. Then watchtower cut down themselves on meeting days and assembly days.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Summer conventions...memories. I recall travelling for days to Winnepeg Canada and like many Jws camping rather than expensive hotels. The truck spraying mosquito fog was a highlight. It was so thick we kids ran around in the fog unable to see each other till I was hit in the head by a friend wielding a badminton racket and cried as the blood poured down. Then the tornado went by and most everyone's tents were blown down and everything was soaking wet. Then on the way home our traveling companions' car broke down. Good memories.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

So does this mean that ZOOM will not be utilized any longer? 😰

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Not Jacob;

"I remember expressing concerns over incomplete directions provided at meetings leading up. When I would ask, "What should we do if X happens?" The response from the Elders was invariably "Trust that Jeh will take care of us."

& there it is,,,the great and grand fix-all, the old end all that Jah will fix everything.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The thought of losing your job and livelihood and your ability to pay rent/mortgage, bills and food. I mean no stress, at all, right? Yeah no stress.

This organization really puts people through the mill, when people don't really have to set themselves up for it. A bunch of unneeded stress.

• Gorb
    Gorb

I remember as a child in the 70’s, I had much fear for conventions. Did not like the sound, the smell and the temperature. Long travel. wooden chairs, pain in the back.

The long speeches and the awfull drama’s with shouting actors about Jehovah punishment of people who don’t listen.

So happy we made a choice for pomo, so our children are not exposed to this events.

G.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I kind of remember the 1979 convention, which was a five-day international convention. Not as 'exciting' as the seven-or-eight-day conventions of the past, but the chance to sit outside in the sun for a few hours wasn't the worst way to spend a few summer days in New York City.

I admit to being quite surprised at how far they have scaled back the magazine frequency. A total of six issues of the magazines all year, with only two of them being new? They used to produce two new issues twice a month! I guess Jehovah has run out of things to discuss with his chosen people.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HELLOTHERE & BETH SARIM:

Regarding conventions and rank & file JWs told to attend regardless of whether they have to work to feed their families/put a roof over their heads:

What can people expect from clueless men shielded from reality and everyday life?? They are sheltered with all their needs taken care of by suckers who bust their a$$ working for a living! This is why I had no regard for anything they said back in the day. I could see their articles were written by people who knew nothing about life. They expected you to go out on a limb. Glad I never listened.

Any working Witness who decided to attend some worthless time/waster convention who then lost their job surely learned the hard way not to listen to fools. This also goes double to any Witness who quit a decent job only to regret it later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit