"Apostate" Books

by mackey 17 Replies latest jw friends

• mackey
    mackey

Here's a list of books that I have read with the hopes of getting my best freind out of the JW'S.

1. Crisis Of Conscience ( she has it, don't know if she'll read It).

2. In Search Of Christian Freedom.

3. Combatting Mind Control.

4. Releasing The Bonds- Empowering People To Think For Themselves.

5. Rescueing Your Loved One From The Watchtower.(David Reed)

6. Answering JW'S Subject By Subject.

7.Awakening Of A JW (Diane Wilson)

8. Most importantly this site.

If anyone has read any of these, let me know what you thought of them and If they helped you at all. I think I've got everthing I need.Let me know If I'm missing anything.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I used the internet for info on the WT, and info on signs of a cult and mind control. The phrases/techniques used by mind control groups were alarmingly similar to those used by the WT.

I read COC and it, as many put it, was the nail in the coffin. I think the best way to get to someone is to show them the techniques used by high control groups (Us vs them mentality and phrases). When they are consious of them, they'll see them being used during meetings and it might throw up a flag in their head to be able to take in other information. Had I not had any flags up in my head, I might not have accepted COC. Its an eye opener, but to a DUB its just lies.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

I gave my dad Conciense in Crisis and he read most of it and is still in. But he did celebrate Christmas with us this year (my childrens first time ever) He says he understands why I left and he would never shun me but he still thinks its Jehovahs organization because he has to have an organization. My dad was brought up Catholic and he views all other Christian religions like the Catholics.

• Francois
    Francois

Suggest you add "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer. This is a good "stealth" book since it does not directly mention JWs. Instead, it discusses mass movements in general terms. However, a person would have to be blind as a bat to miss its application to JWs, or the JWs use of the various techniques discussed in this book.

francois

• shera
    shera

I still have to get my hands on some of these books.....

• Gig
    Gig

Having not read all of the books you listed, I'll not add or subtract. I would however be interested in your comments regarding those you listed. Which seemed to be most helpful and why?

• Buster
    Buster

Of your list, I've only read 1 and 2. I am still astounded by the tone Ray Franz was capable of delivering while relating such a personal history. I could never have come close. Though I have read many others - ranging from the mudslinging 'can you believe what idiots they are' stuff to factual, soft-toned history and explanation of beliefs.

Others I reccommend: "The sign of the last days - When" is a detailed breakdown of the signes that JWs use to infer that the end is now. It explains how those signs are no more prevalent today than at other times over the last 2000 years.

"The Gentile Times Reconsidered" is a detailed study of the timeline touted by JWs as proof that the end of the Gentile times was in 1914. I focuses heavily on 607 BCE as the destruction of Jerusalem by Babylon - nope it was 587 and therefore blows out the timeline. It is a quick read unless you try to memoorize the evidence contained.

But I'll say this: nothing has been more startling to me than to reread the older books that were considered the conrnerstones of the WTS. Once you have read some of the 'apostate' books, take a look at the books you remember. Read them with a new, critical eye. You won't believe it. There is very little logic, less proof. You will be amazed at what feels like a wad of mud slung at the walls and offered as proof. You will be amazed that you once accepted such mud tossings as a logical line of reasoning.

- Cliff

Edited by - buster on 31 January 2003 23:57:48

• Farkel
    Farkel

Mackey,

Professor Jim Penton's "Apocalypse Delayed" is a modern and scholarly historical history of the Jehovah's Witness movement. It also discusses the social dynamics of the faith. It is a MUST for any library who is interested in the JW faith.

I haven't yet obtained a copy of Professor Ed Gruss' history of the JWs. It's the latest on that topic and as usual, Gruss is the scholar who simply presents the evidence without rancor. I simply must give him a call and beg him for a free copy! (He'll probably oblige!)

Farkel

• Brummie
    Brummie

Oh yep, Pentons for sure!

You have a good selection already but I would highly recommend "Thus saith the governing body" by Randy Watters. THAT kicked me clean in the gut when I was a JW. It removes the blinkers, I think its been retitled "Thus saith JWS" now..get it for sure.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit