Who is the Alpha & Omega?

by edp81 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwsons
    jwsons

Revelation 22:12 ? <----- Have a look here

jwsons

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

To students of mythology it is no surprise to learn that these titles "Alpha and Omega" or the "First and Last" were applied to various gods. For example Apollo and Aeon were both called the "Alpha and the Omega". Krishna was addressed as the "First and Last". Jews and Christians alike drew from the religious reservoir of concepts and expression they were immersed in.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I have to go along with Jesus for the simple reason God has no begining nor and End. Jesus obviously does. Or if we wanted to look at it metaphorically we "could" say it represents US. Because without Jesus we have no begining or end. Adam and Eve had a begining and an end because they were "created" by God, and destoryed by God. But Jesus supplies US with a new begining and he has the final decission regarding our end. So he is "OUR" begining and "OUR" end. If you're one that has no belief in God then I guess it wouldn't matter who it is. It could be Ozzie

LMAO@Elsewhere

Edited by - plmkrzy on 29 January 2003 1:38:12

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Who is the Alpha & Omega in Rev. 1:8, 11; 21:6; 22:13?

A guy named "Fred."

: Who is the First & Last in Rev. 1:17?

A guy named "Jack."

Any more questions, Fundy?

Farkel

• Introspection
    Introspection

.. Ok, we've talked about who it is, but what about what it means? I can't remember the common interpretations of this, JW and otherwise but if you're calling something or someone the beginning AND the end, the same one, doesn't that in effect mean there is no beginning and no end because those two things define each other? Or to put it another way, it's two sides of the same coin. The first and the last, same idea - if the first IS the last, then there's only one thing isn't there? The one who was, who is and who is coming - past, present and future - timeless. Seems pretty clear.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Introspection interesting, I also think it is a representation but I gotta stick with the idea it simply represents where mankind should place "trust" as in "real survival"

IOW, even if we die or someone kills us, that does not mean we have reached our "end". Because of Jesus, "If" we put our trust and faith in him above anything else, he has the power to decide our end.

• Introspection
    Introspection

I have to say, though.. Often the question of who seems to be pretty meaningless. If you see an interesting post online, who cares who it's from? All you may get in answer to that question is a screen name to the effect of "abc123" or something, it does't tell you a whole lot about "who" that person is does it? It serves as a reference at best. What actually told you about the person (which is still quite limited I might add) is the content of the message. If nothing else you assume that what comes to mind when that designation is mentioned brings to mind the same sets of ideas in the mind of others as it does yours, which is highly questionable. So to have meaningful discussions it would seem we need to lay all our cards on the table so to speak, otherwise we just sound like a bunch of owls.

• Introspection
    Introspection
    IOW, even if we die or someone kills us, that does not mean we have reached our "end". Because of Jesus, "If" we put our trust and faith in him above anything else, he has the power to decide our end.

Hi Plm - here's a thought for ya: If we do not reach our end and go on to some other existence, then of course it is not an "end" in the absolute sense of the word. So you might say it's a new beginning, yet an end to the old existence - both the beginning and the end in a sense. In fact, that's just the way life is isn't it? Things are always changing, so one might say for the sake of simplicity that there is always change, which you might also describe as something ending and something else beginning, but that's just a longer way of wording it.

• plmkrzy
  • Balsam
    Balsam

In the gospel take, Jesus is purported to be the "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end," but these very same thoughts were plagiarized from older sources, including the Goddess Isis, in whose temple at Sais, Eygpt, it was carved, "I am all that has been, that is, and that will be." As the writer Walker says, "Alpha and Omega, the first and the last letters of the alphabet, were frequently applied to the Goddess who united in birth and death. (Barbara Walker, The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, pg 195).

Is the bible writings borrowed from other ancient writing of other non Jewish origin? It is worth investigating folks.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit