Site Update: Jan 10, 2015

by Simon 35 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

I've made some updates to the user section of the site. Besides some cosmetic tweaks the most notable new feature is the ability to see a listing of the topics someone has posted on - this includes topics they started as well as topics they replied to.

It will look like this when you go to a user page or your own profile page:

Simon

Joined 15 years ago

The "see topics posted on" link is what you want.

Again, the topics are listed in the usual format and allows sorting topics based on when they were started, when they were last updated or how many replies they have. Each topic is only listed once regardless of how many times it was posted to.

The "last updated" view effectively provides a personalized "active topics" view - these are topics you have participated in which, if you are not the "last replier" have been updated since you posted.

Right now the links to the topic take you to the first page (topic title) or the latest replies (by clicking the reply avatars) but a future update will provide the option to filter a topic to just see that posters posts if required. i.e. if they have made 8 posts on a topic then the topic will be listed once and when you click on it you'll be able to see just those 8 posts or the regular topic view.

The necessary indexes are currently building so the listings may be inconsistent until those are completed.

One other change is to the posting mechanism - it should be much faster when you post (well, it will be when the indexing work has completed) unless the queuing / processing is delayed in which case it will gradually check less often (and I intend to provide better feedback for 'intentional delays'). Overall it should provide a more responsive experience when posting under normal operation.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Simon, great job you are doing. The board is really shaping up.

Bobcat

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

For some reason I keep getting mysteriously misdirected to this site even though I don't click on anything. It happens without my even moving my mouse over anything. It seems to happen when I try to access anything under Active Topics. Weird.

Update: It doesn't seem to happen when I use Firefox instead of IE.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Simon is there any way to reduce the number of PM I have , I seem to be stuck at 2 .  ?

Have tried different ways to bring it down to 0 but fail   

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Are the topics started and posted on sync'd with the old site? I ask because it says I have only started 1 topic and posted 31 times. I think that's since the new site debuted. Although topics posted shows all the topics. I think something isn't linking quite right. Maybe it's just my account???

Still... great job on the new forum.

• Simon
    Simon
    Although topics posted shows all the topics. I think something isn't linking quite right. Maybe it's just my account

Yes, that's just the counts that are out of whack. I'll be sorting those out soon. The counts are purely cosmetic - the topics and posts are there.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Hi Simon

I'm having an issue on how to send a private message. If I click on the user profile where is the button to send a message? Or does it work differently with this new format?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    spell check still not working on Chrome, uploading pics is a nightmare, and what is the box with 5/10/20 all about?
  • cofty
    cofty

Spell check works fine on Chrome for me.

Click on the button at the top right that looks like 3 short parallel lines.

Select "settings"

Click on "advanced settings"

Click on "Language and Input settings"

Tick the spell check box.

You might want to select proper English as opposed to the strange lingo that has evolved in the former colony.

The 5/10/20 adjusts how many posts are displayed on your page at a time.

• cofty
    cofty
    uploading pics is a nightmare

Upload your pic to a site like Photobucket. Copy the Direct code. Paste it inside the IMG tags that you get by clicking the button with the drawing of the mountain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit