Where Does the $$ Come From??

by Dia 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dia
    Dia

Geez, Ed.

So they really are just cleaning out the pockets of the dubs, and also expecting them to bring in more when they get money for the literature. How can dubs be so stupid - oh, that's right, they're not allowed to talk to one another, are they?

Regarding the stocks and insurance and all that, I'll have to take a closer look at what you wrote on another day as I've no time now. But at first glance, that smells like a stock market scheme, doesn't it?

ps - As I recall from previous posts here, many, many people have recollections of the contribution boxes often being near empty.

How much money would the average dub spend on literature per month? And, if you recall, how much does it cost at the counter for individual Watchtowers and Awakes?

Thanks!

edited to add the ps

Edited by - Dia on 19 January 2003 20:47:1

• Dia
    Dia

Blondie,

Where did that info come from?

Is it a copy of the brochure or something else?

Thanks

• blondie
    blondie

Dia, that info appears in the November or December issue of the Watchtower every year. The brochure is available upon request to the address listed. It is not ordered through the KH.

Magazines were once

1971--4 cents a copy over the counter to publisher who offered for 10 cents

1973--10 cents

1984--15 cents

1986--20 cents

1990--25 cents

after 1990--at no charge, ask for donation to worldwide work

(Most JWs are uncomfortable asking for a donation; I was more comfortable asking for the contribution and directly tying it to the magazines, people didn't mind)

Blondie

• Dia
    Dia

Blondie (boy, you're a real wealth of information, aren't you?!)

How many magazines does the average dub buy per - month (? Isn't there usually a monthly sale when the new issue comes out or do they all buy them weekly or...at every meeting?)

• Dia
    Dia

bump

• Ed
    Ed
    Geez, Ed.

So they really are just cleaning out the pockets of the dubs, and also expecting them to bring in more when they get money for the literature. How can dubs be so stupid - oh, that's right, they're not allowed to talk to one another, are they?

They only brought that system in recently here in Oz (about 3 or 4 years ago). Prior to that, publishers would pay for the literature at the counter, and then collect that same amount from the householder, so if they placed everything they broke even. I seem to recall there were a few raised eyebrows when the announcement was made that ALL money would now go to the WTS.

They explained that they were not double-dipping because the first donation was for the literature itself, but the second donation was for "the world-wide preaching work". Two entirely different things, apparently.

As for how many mags per month... it really depends how righteous the publisher is. Spiritually mature ones who have a close personal relationship with God might place 12 - 24 per month, while ungodly heathens destined for the everlasting flames of Gehenna might only use 2 or 3.

• Dia
    Dia

Okay, so let's suppose a ballpark figure of 1 dozen literature purchases per month (not counting books, of course).

1 dozen, divided by 4 (because they're a quarter each) equals $3 per publisher per month.

$3 dollars per JW per month, times 6 million....

Are they really raking in $18 million a month, all in nickels and dimes?

Why does this seem SO VERY LIKELY TO BE EXACTLY RIGHT?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

LMAO... they didnt get alot of money from me. Donations from my own pocket or otherwise. If I got any donations for the magazines it went toward my lunch fund.

• Dia
    Dia

What about the rest of you posters? How much do you recall 'spending' at the magazine counter every month?

Do you recall the contribution box being empty or did you give $ to it?

• sf
    sf

OUTLAW, come give The sKallywagger lovins'!! Hey, wanna 'see' (Witness) sumpin'? Type this name into the search engines, ((along with 'Watchtower')): 'Vannevar Bush'.

Can you say kaboomie? Oh, oh! And try this search: 'Watchtower Henschel RAND'.

Yavooooyyyyyyyy. Stay warm baby.

Love, sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit