Does anyone else get S.A.D.?

by Aztec 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

Also known as Seasonally Affected Disorder. I have been kind of "down" since October. The lack of sunshine always gets me. Am I alone?

~Aztec

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

My mood cycle tends to include more and longer depressive bouts over winter. Ozziepost reckons I'm a wimp because I complain about what passes for winter here and he's from a colder region, but I really do get affected badly, depression wise, by the cooler, darker and shorter days.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Yeah I think I have it now, or it could just be cuz my life sucks ass at present.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Sorry to hear that, Aztec and Stephanus. Can you get yourself one of those lamps that simulates sunshine? They really help.

Joannadandy, I am sorry to hear that. I hope it improves soon.

Richard

• Brummie
    Brummie

Aztec, you know you can buy those sensory lamps that ease S.A.D? They tell the brain that its a bright sunny day and stuff. We use them at work for sensory purposes with Autism. Thing is it looks like a bright sunny day at 3am in the morning.

Brummie

Edited to add: Scep bet me to it...

Edited by - brummie on 12 January 2003 4:9:20

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Ozziepost reckons I'm a wimp because I complain about what passes for winter here

Aww Steph, we love you really!

Actually there's a lot in what you say about the gloomy weather affecting our emotions. It's the Dutch I feel sorry for; there's no winter so gloomy! Let's all send warm wishes to Vivamus!

Cheers, Ozzie

• alfie
    alfie

Hi Az- It's really amazing how many people are affected by S.A.D. In my job I work primarily with people with disabilities as well as the elderly, and during this time of the year there is a really noticeable change in the dispositions of a huge number of my clients. Not only do the shorter, colder days cause a lot of depression, but it also contributes to more confinement for them. As for myself, living in a northern clime, I dread the thought of snow as I detest the stuff. Fortunately we don't get much on the West Coast, but even one flake can really cause me to get the blues. No, you're not alone.

alfie

• Robdar
    Robdar

Aztec.

Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time. No, you are not the only one that suffers from S.A.D. I know lots of people that do too. Mine seems to start when we set the clock back in October. All I can figure is that setting the clock back messes with my daily rhythms. And then less sunshine puts another strain on my system. I am now taking extra calcium and vitamin D, it seems to help. I have had a hard time with SAD in the past. But around January, I always started feeling better. I hope that soon you will too.

Hugs,

Robyn

• Been there
    Been there

I also have S.A.D.... Some years where real bad depending on the lights where I worked. I worked at a dental lab for 4 years once and didn't have a bit of trouble, they used full spectrum lighting (very expensive) but needed for accurate tooth colors. The funny thing is I don't get it in the winter. Mine starts at the end of August and lasts til the middle of November. The only thing I can think of is August is Very HOT and muggy here in Kentucky and I don't go out side much at all. Give me a cold day over a hot day any time.(I'm Canadian) If you are not opposed to tanning beds, go once or twice a week. It really helps also.

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

You are not alone, and it is very awful, even though not diagnosed with such, I get down periods more so from end of September till end of March. Sometimes it is really hard to get up in morning and face another day. I am sad very much of the time, and there seems to be no let up. I try to control it, but the older I get the harder it is. It is also very lonely.

The puppy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit