Buddhism Anyone?

by LaurenM 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LaurenM
    LaurenM

So, I have recently been delving in Buddhism and I must say it all makes sense! Like, the philosophies and ideas are what I've always believed but could never put a name to. For example, they don't believe in God, they teach acceptance of all faiths, that peace can be achieved - not by changing other people - but by changing yourself, that everyone has goodness in themselves, that happiness can be gained internally (not externally as a gift from god), and that life is temporary so we should enjoy it! Has anyone else researched Buddhism? Does it make sense to you in comparison to the JW teachings?

• applehippie
    applehippie
    I know very little about Buddhism but it kind of bemuses me that I now consider a Buddhist monk to be a dear friend. I just sewed a complete set of robes with Korean style pants for him to wear at a wedding where he gave a blessing. Life is strange and wonderful. Who can explain it?
  • Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85
    Yes I favor Buddhism too. :) it does make sense. I love hearing inspiration words from them. The belief of inter enlightenment resonates with me so much. Higher conscience and the greater good. :)
  • Deltawave
    Deltawave
    Yes I totally agree. I've been researching Bhuddism for about 3 years now and it makes much more sense to me than JW Theology does. I find its principles inspiring, refreshing and motivating. Christianity is full of Death, Guilt and the beleif that the more you suffer the closer to God you are. I know pioneers that would deliberately make their lives hard as it seemed to make them feel more spiritual to be always struggling. Bhuddism is about peace, harmony and internal unity...rather than external longings for a brighter future!
  • cofty
    cofty
    I must say it all makes sense

There might be elements of it's teachings that appeal to you but it does not make sense.

Do you really believe that you will be reincarnated and that your actions in this life will determine whether you will be a cow or a flea in the next?

Do you believe that disabled people are paying for bad karma in a previous life? If you take that seriously how would that affect your compassion for them?

From the BBC website..

For Buddhists, karma has implications beyond this life. Bad actions in a previous life can follow a person into their next life and cause bad effects (which Westerners are more likely to interpret as 'bad luck').

Even an Enlightened One is not exempt from the effects of past karma. One story tells that the Buddha's cousin tried to kill him by dropping a boulder on him. Although the attempt failed, the Buddha's foot was injured. He explained that this was karmic retribution for trying to kill his step-brother in a previous life.

On a larger scale, karma determines where a person will be reborn and their status in their next life. Good karma can result in being born in one of the heavenly realms. Bad karma can cause rebirth as an animal, or torment in a hell realm.

Buddhists try to cultivate good karma and avoid bad. However, the aim of Buddhism is to escape the cycle of rebirth altogether, not simply to acquire good karma and so to be born into a more pleasant state. These states, while preferable to human life, are impermanent: even gods eventually die.

Really does that "make sense"?

• LaurenM
    LaurenM
    Yes, I'm not sure if the reincarnation aspect of it is entirely logical..but I do enjoy the philosophical aspects of the teaching so far :)
  • maksutov
    maksutov

Whether or not something "makes sense" is a poor indicator of its truthfulness. JW theology makes sense in a circular way, as long as you don't mind the fact that it cannot be tested. All sorts of pseudoscience makes sense to those who believe in it. Quantum mechanics on the other hand, does not make sense, but it is nevertheless something that can be tested and verified to be true (in so much as anything can be).

In favour of Buddhism is the fact that they have been practicing meditation for a long time, and have become quite good at it. There are elements of Buddhist philosophy and practice that probably have great value. But adopting a world view comes with the danger of filtering everything through that world view, rather than based on what can be observed, tested, and verified.

I would wager that Buddhism is probably generally less harmful than JWism though!

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I've seen a lot living for over a decade in a Buddhist country. There are some appealing aspects to it, but I have the same problem with it as I have with the JW religion - there is no verifiable proof that any of it is true. Also, here Buddhism equals big business. Any kind of religious service costs boat loads of money to have performed. It costs a small fortune to have priests pray over the deceased and perform the funeral rituals. Shrines require money to gain a wish or make a prayer for good health etc. If there is a true religion, money shouldn't be the force holding it together.

Of course, Buddhism in Japan is somewhat different from its Chinese cousin, or the Indian version. Like Christianity it has numerous sects and varieties.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It sounds good just like the promise of paradise did.

Buddha= Awakened one...the're already a lot of Buddhas around here.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

At least they're ahead of the Borg. They are now allowing ladies to become lamas. The philosophy for living your life has its benefits as many religious beliefs/ideologies do. But as Cofty said, it's still nonsense as far as beliefe goes.

I don't see why you cannot live by your own common sense virtues without the need of someone else's doctrine or philosophy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit