Geoffrey Jackson's Golden Apple watch INVESTIGATED

by C0ntr013r 112 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    EdenOne, as I recall, that is "an experience" published in an Awake! mag back in the '80s or thereabouts.
  • Splash
    Splash
    Was this the item?
    *** w83 1/15 pp. 24-25 par. 7 Armed for the Fight Against Wicked Spirits ***The experience of a Christian elder in Germany, who also happens to be wealthy, is noteworthy. A Christian brother, knowing something about his financial status, asked him why he drove a Volkswagen (a less expensive car) and lived in a modest apartment. Becoming very serious, he answered: ‘Because if I drove a Mercedes Benz (a luxury car) and lived in an ostentatious manner, it could have a damaging effect on the spirituality of my Christian brothers and sisters.’ How different that attitude is from the world’s! To make a “showy display of one’s means of life” is the way of the world. (1 John 2:16) According to the world, the measure of success is the amount of money and material possessions a person has. But may that never be so in the Christian organization! We need to be armed so that none of this type of satanic thinking infiltrates our own thinking and that of the Christian congregation.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

This subject and subsequent posts has opened my eyes to how afflulence in my former congregation works:-

a) All the Elders were very conservative and home owners.

b) Eldership was like " a jolly boys club"

c) A " spiritual brother" living less affluantly would find the jump from " ministerial servant" to " Elder" would take longer.

d) I believe it would take a similar " conservative" outlook to really fit in to the "Elder circle"

Affordability and Golden Apple watches.

An additional point. If you live in an affluent area and you own your property you are a wealthy person. Many areas in London property goes up 15% a year. That is a lot of money. Now if you have a small mortgage on that property, and a salary, you have a lot of disposable income.

Now this is the interesting observation.

Most elders I noted didn't wear EXSPENSIVE watches nor did they drive FLASHEY cars. They did however I noted spend money, extending their property, adding conservatories, new kitchens, bathrooms, ect. And they took good holidays.

The interesting observation to me was how the congregation seemed to view extravegent and non extravegent expenditure. Personally when I was a young man I always resented being told by a non pioneering, property owning Elder to reach out and pioneer.

Why didn't they downgrade their property or go live in a bed sit and pioneer?

The Rebel.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I guess the days you work at an organisation for 50 years and retire before you receive a " SILVER" watch are well and truly over at the " W.T"

My point being a life time spent at Bethel for many means on retirement being kicked out with nothing but the shoes on your feet, and a tatty suit. ( Not even I bet a box of chocolates) But if your on the G.B...you have the nice suit, the best apartment,the respect, the travel, a young wife, who I bet wears Sanitex Rubber Body Stockings. ( Do you know how much that costs?) and a " GOLD" watch before you retire.

The Rebel.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

I haven't read this entire post, but perhaps a leak from Bethel may confirm :-)

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

They berate any R@F that aspire to get a job paying more than a window washer. To not buy anything and give all extra to them. Then the GB buy a watch that cost as much if not more than the annual salary of most JWs.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Wow this man is thrifty to be able to save that well on a Special Service allowance!

:)

I was just thinking that in Canada years ago, all Bethelites took vows of poverty for tax reasons,

So, huh?

:(

• waton
    waton

maybe it was a golden handshake so vigorous, that that watch slipped along the hands from one wrist to the other? Trump tried that trick with Abe of Japan, remember? or that piece of jewelry is just on loan? gifts are tax free?

• cha ching
    cha ching

If JWs were advised to buy Apple i-pads, and Apple had a sale of over one million, they just might donate a 'bonus' to the GB.... an advertising plus.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Does it cost more than Sofia's ice cream?"

awesome!! Lol

however, knowing how jw's love to impress the GB as if royalty, it is most likely a well to do ass-kisser gifted this to him

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit