As a Matter of Conscience, I Am Resigning from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Sail Away 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    sparrowdown
    Imagine what would happen if everyone that left sent a letter like this.
    Vive le revolution!!

Yes, just imagine!

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Simon Says, thanks for the links about Freedom of Association. I will share the information with my lawyer.

SailAway

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Well done Sail away--- go out with a bang!
    I was thinking that all JWs should be given the opportunity to know their rights on this matter.
    Then there would be many more ready to leave knowing that the law and human rights are on their side. It is the fear of reprisals which keep the "conscious class" in.

Hi Half banana! Nice to see you here. It's not so much about going out with a bang for me. It is all about knowing as asserting my rights as a human being. I learned in therapy (DBT) the the WTB$ took away every single one of my Legitimate Human Rights:

YOUR LEGITIMATE RIGHTS

1. You have a right to need things from others.
    2. You have a right to put yourself first sometimes.
    3. You have a right to feel and express your emotions or your pain.
    4. You have a right to be the final judge of your beliefs and accept them as legitimate.
    5. You have the right to your opinions and convictions.
    6. You have the right to your experience - even if it’s different from that of other people.
    7. You have a right to protest any treatment or criticism that feels bad to you.
    8. You have a right to negotiate for change.
    9. You have a right to ask for help, emotional support, or anything else you need (even though you may not always get it).
    10. You have a right to say no; saying no doesn’t make you bad or selfish.
    11. You have a right not to justify yourself to others.
    12. You have a right not to take responsibility for someone else’s problem.
    13. You have a right to choose not to respond to a situation.
    14. You have a right, sometimes, to inconvenience or disappoint others.

It is a sad reality that fear of reprisal holds many JWs captive.

SailAway

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    I DA'd on principal also a few years ago, it certainly opens your eyes to the shunning! I think though if people choose to shun me I don't want to know them as they can't act as decent humans.
    It feels so much better not having anyone hoping I will return or calling me up, having to look over my shoulder etc..

happy@last, it just feels right to act on principal. Also, I want to be free of the feeling that they can just show up on my doorstep randomly and upset my peace. This is my home. They are not welcome to come here and judge me.

Last Christmas I was buying holiday wrapping paper, and a JW approached. I thought, "Oh, it's a good thing this only has a winter theme." How ridiculous to still be policing my actions based on their rules. Time to put an end to that.

SailAway

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse
    Nice letter, but I doubt if they'll not announce it. They will announce it and they won't care about your legal threats.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    The letter's pretty good, IMO, but as far as I'm concerned, voting with one's feet and wallet are the simplest and best ways.
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

Hi all! Just a quick update-- my lawyer is reviewing my letter and said he will get back to me early this week. I did add a reference to the Australian RC. Also, I incorporated some of Marvin Shilmer's language regarding social contact.

In the meantime I have made a few phone calls and used some reverse "theocratic warfare" to get the names and addresses of the current congregation secretaries involved. There is some justice in the universe. The congregation secretary in my former sister congregation is the elder that was like an older brother to my son who ultimately played a role in getting him DF'd.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

My attorney has approved the text of my letter. He said it is well written and researched and he would not change a thing.Thanks again to all who have contributed to the content. I will be sending a letter to each of the two local congregations.

The next step is for my attorney to write a cover letter summarizing what I have stated, closing with instructions for the elders to call him if they have any questions. Further he will state that under no circumstances are they to contact me. I'll post his cover letter when I receive it.

Sail Away

September xx, 2015

Address

SENT BY US MAIL, REGISTERED, CERTIFIED, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

To:

The Body of Elders of the [named] Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

C/o [xxx], Congregation Secretary

Address

After listening to sworn testimony of victims of child sexual abuse within the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Australia, Jehovah’s Witness elders and a governing body member in a public hearing of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, as a matter of conscience and to exercise of my rights under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. I, Sail Away, hereby resign from The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, et al, the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, et al, and the [named] Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses effective immediately, September xx, 2015.

I hereby declare myself no longer a member.

As a non-member, I demand complete freedom from all religious practices, which include but are not limited to discipline and retaliation. Examples of such religious practices may include a formal announcement of my non-member status before the [named] Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses or any other congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, shunning, intentional infliction of emotional distress, harassment, slander, invasion of privacy, etc. Should you engage in any such conduct towards me, I will immediately and fully utilize all legal means to stop those acts. Any and all of the above-named parties may be held jointly and severally responsible.

Please refer to the following:

· Bear v. Reformed Mennonite Church

· Guinn v. Church of Christ of Collinsville

· Hadnot v. Shaw

· McNair v. Worldwide Church of God

Furthermore, I request immediate, complete, and permanent cessation from all contact from church elders, ministerial servants, circuit overseers or any other member appointed to a position of authority in the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. This includes, but is not limited to mail, electronic communications, telephone and in-person visits taking place at my residence (address noted above), workplace, or elsewhere.

Please be aware that I will consider any in-person visits by appointed men on private property henceforth to be trespassing, and should that occur, I will utilize all legal means to stop that act, including but not limited to civil and criminal complaints. Personal social approach in public is always welcomed and appreciated. I have no quarrel with individual members of the congregation, but again, I do not want to be further burdened by coercion from these organizations’ appointed authorities acting in that capacity.

Thank you in advance for respecting my right to freedom from religion.

Signed,

Sail Away

[insert notary stamp and signature, if you're using one]

• Half banana
    Half banana
    That's telling them Sail Away!
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

It's a done deal. I signed my letters today, and my attorney is mailing them by Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested together with his cover letter which states:

The Body of Elders of the (named) Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

c/o (named elder), Congregation Secretary

Address

RE: RESIGNATION-SAIL AWAY

Dear Mr. (named elder):

I represent Sail Away of (home town). She has expressed her intention to resign as a member of the Jehovah’s Witness Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, et al, the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, et al, the (named) Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the (named sister) Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Her letter of resignation is enclosed.

My client has asked me to inform you in no uncertain terms that she does not want to be contacted by any member of your congregation or your organization acting in an official capacity on behalf of an elder, the congregation, or the church. Her letter clearly states her wishes in this regard. Therefore, members of your organization should not attempt to contact her. Please understand that I will commence legal action or pursue other legal recourse without further notice if you or any member, church elder or other member of your church acting for your congregation contact, harass, threaten or intimidate my client in any way.

You or your legal representative may contact me if you have any questions whatsoever.

Very truly yours,

(My attorney who was flabbergasted by my description of the shunning process and the cult-like nature of the organization and who would not accept payment for writing this letter)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit