Is the USA a bully?

by Robdar 83 Replies latest jw friends

• no one
    no one
    Do you think it was cause they wanted to try on a different lifestyle for size? or do you think it might be becuse the democratic life has far more benefits?

Lesser of two evils.

My question for all of you who post that the U.S. are bullies, which country do you want to live in?

Anarctica

Just because some of say that the US is a bully doesn't mean we don't mind living here. That would be like concluding an argument with your husband/wife with:

"We just don't agree so I'm off to live with someone else."

I have done a lot of things for this country, including killing those whom I had no animosity against. Just doing my job. That doesn't make it right, nor does it make me feel better. It was wrong before I became a JW; it is still wrong today, post JW. When you have to look down at a life you've taken, it kinda takes the urge outa kickin' someone's ass for ANY reason.

• aojumper
    aojumper

Pettygrudger,

Look around your house do you have a bunch of just adorable little knick knacks you "just had to have"? In your refigerator are there things getting moldy? Do you ever go out to eat, and just can't finish that humongos portion that you knew was coming, after ordering an appetizer? Look in your closet, what is the original cost of all those items, even if they were all bought at a discount?

Don't pine and mourn for the rest of the world, unlees you are going to do something about it, or at least begrudge yourself some of "lifes little pleasures" that most of the world has never even seen.

K

By the way, most of the stuff you get comes from china, if we did go in for the kill with them, then you would be amiss of all those picture frames containing some of your lifes kodak moments, amonst other things.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hmmm "no one" Switzerland comes to mind! Maybe the Netherlands if Viv could help me find a place. Australia would be a wonderful place to live! I wouldn't mind living in Mexico or Brazil. My first choice would be Spain!

Pettygrudger, I so agree with you! I have signed up to be a delegate at the next Democratic convention! I am trying to make a change as best I can.

~Aztec

• aojumper
    aojumper

No one,

I understand what your saying, sometimes there is just no other way, not because we want to but because they want to. Bush is right, if your not for us then your against us, because if we don't stand up, then we could risk being taken down, and want to or not, we will become one of them, which is against us.

Sometimes there is another way. But bvefore we begin protesting and calling america a bully in this situation, see if there is.

K

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Hi Musky,

I would say arrogance more than anything else. Living in a border city, we see it all the time.

Stan

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

I think the United States and all the World are in a transitory period right now, we have left the 20th century but the 20th century has not left us. The U.S. policy of buying friends with guns and butter is now coming back to haunt us, and the governments that played the harlot with the U.S. and the Soviet Union now claim they will not sell themselves anymore and are sovereign independent states. Well, that's what they tell their people anyway.

The U.S. is neither god nor demon. It is government. It does good and bad just like any other government and the American people need to wake up and see that it is not the responsiblity of the American government to do right, it is the responsibility of the American people to make sure the American elected officials are the best and brightest and will put their country above their political party. The elected officials who run the government have been put there by the American people and as long as the American people continue to spend more time and thought to buying a car or a VCR than they do in picking their political representatives, our government will continue to be a game of russian roulette, sometimes we pick right others times we pick wrong.

The U.S. is said to be top dog now and well, what country in history ever got to be top dog by showing it's belly? Sure the U.S. is tough at times and a political opportunist at other times and wrong many times but we are not always wrong.

Well, enough of the soap box!

IW

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

AOJumper says:

Pettygrudger,

Look around your house do you have a bunch of just adorable little knick knacks you "just had to have"? In your refigerator are there things getting moldy? Do you ever go out to eat, and just can't finish that humongos portion that you knew was coming, after ordering an appetizer? Look in your closet, what is the original cost of all those items, even if they were all bought at a discount?

Don't pine and mourn for the rest of the world, unlees you are going to do something about it, or at least begrudge yourself some of "lifes little pleasures" that most of the world has never even seen.

How do you know how I live my life, or what I do or don't do? If I told you that I do take "stands" regarding various purchases, or food stuff - and on top of that my "clothing purchases" so what? Knick knacks - hee hee you haven't seen my house!

Nor did I say I wanted to live anywhere - I said that I have the right to complain about the way our government conducts their affairs, and make changes if I can. Just because we're set up on a pretty good "foundation" of principles doesn't mean we don't need to "check" ourselves from time to time & take a real good look at the way we are and what we act like in the world in which we live. Its funny how some try to use that argument you did above - humorous at best. As my "charitable" works are offered in another arena due to my commitments to my children I can't run out & become a human rights activist -although I would love to do that. So, live your life like you feel "entitled" to, I do the same - but at the same time that has nothing to do with trying through our individual "rights" to change the way our government handles foreign policy.

• ISP
    ISP

The US is not a bully particularly. But if it is..so what? Super powers are super powers.

ISP

• no one
    no one
    Hmmm "no one" Switzerland comes to mind!

Yes, Aztec, Switzerland was my initial choice, but after looking at the 2002 JW publisher ratio for Switzerland and Anarctica, I opted for the latter.

• Aztec
    Aztec

hehe "no one" you're funny!

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit