"I am Happy to be Controlled" - Edinburgh Elder on Cult Cart

by cofty 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

So my wife and I were up in Edinburgh for the weekend for the International Festival - we had a great weekend including going to see the Military Tattoo at the castle.

We were walking up the Royal Mile watching the street performers among hundreds of thousands of others from all over the world when I spotted the cult cart in it's usual spot being universally ignored. Feeling confident after my confrontation a couple of weeks ago we decided to go and have a chat with the two men. I asked them if they were keeping up with the events in Australia and proceeded to share lots of information with them. I won't go into it all now but I was merciless. They were both elders which makes them fair game.

I asked them what they would do if they had a report of child abuse. One said he would contact the police so I asked the other one if he agreed. He corrected his friend and said they must contact the branch.

I told him that over a thousand cases had reported to the Australian branch and asked them how many they think had been passed on to the authorities. They refused to guess so I asked how many they hoped had been reported. They both said they hoped that all 1000 had been reported. When I told them that the answer was zero they were stunned!

I told them about GJ's testimony and his lies and deceptions including his attempt to tell the court that he had nothing to offer the Commission as all he does is translate literature. I asserted that the 7 men on the GB control the lives of over 5 million people. One of the elders responded the he "was happy to be controlled".

Our contempt was obvious.

My wife discussed the fact that both our parents had ignored their grandchildren because we no longer submit to the organisation. I asked the elders if they had children and one of them had a 14 year old son. I asked him if his son came to him a few years time and told him that he no longer wanted anything to do with the religion would he shun him. He said that he would.

The other elder began to preach about paradise. I asked them to look around at the tens of thousands of families we could see in the Royal Mile and pointed out one family of two parents and two young girls who were not far from us. I told him that he had just expressed his wish that god would hurry up a murder them all.

Our conversation was about half an hour. They were in full cult-mode but perhaps something will give them pause in the future to consider what we talked about.

IMO it is always worth making the effort if you can spare the time.

• Ding
    Ding
    Even though I shouldn't be surprised to hear JWs say they are happy to be controlled, let someone else do the thinking for them, etc., it still shakes me up when I actually hear them voice it.
  • DATA-DOG
  • cantleave
    cantleave
    Cofty you inspire me. I will swallow my nerves and definitely approach them next time I see them.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Reminds me of something that Ray Franz wrote in one of his books about an elder who said that he was proud to be "a parrot" of the organization.
  • baltar447
    baltar447

Cofty, if I could afford to right now I'd send you one of these:

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    You said that the Cart was ignored? In our city someone took a counter and recorded the amount of people that stopped and looked at the carts were 800 in 2.5 hours. They always place literature. I guess England is tougher.
  • Ding
    Ding

I saw a cart at a street corner in a major US city.

In the time I watched them, absolutely no one paid any attention and the JWs made no effort to engage anyone in conversation.

Just putting in time...

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

I salute you Cofty. That is human patriotism at its finest! I also love throwing their cruelty into their faces.

By the way, thank you so much for that reading list. New facts, new understanding and happier for it.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    That was me, Ding. I was having a rough day, and didn't want to talk to anyone. Did you notice my Bose Ear Phones. I love that Led Zeppelin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit