200 JWs Go Bowling on Christmas

by blondie 18 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/local/2002/12/22christmasaholid.html

Christmas: A holiday of many hues Activities range from secular scenes to doing nothing at all

By J.L. MILLER
    Dover Bureau reporter
    12/22/2002

Leah Denson's children never believed in Santa Claus.

Denson, husband Bart and children Emily and B.J. are Christians, but there is no sign of a Christmas tree or any other holiday trappings in their Dunleith home.

As Jehovah's Witnesses, the Densons follow their denomination's belief that Christmas is not a Christian holiday.

Jehovah's Witnesses point out that in the Bible, Christ told his followers to remember his death. He said nothing about remembering his birth.

They also cite the pagan roots of such traditions as the Christmas tree and holiday greenery as reasons to shun the celebration.

So for 15-year-old Emily and 12-year-old B.J., there is no Santa Claus - and no presents under the tree.

"It really is just another day," Leah Denson said. "Even though it might be hard for people to believe, there are a lot of activities we're engaged in. Since nothing else is going on [on Christmas Day], we'll probably go to the bowling alley, probably with 200 other Witnesses, having fun."

The Densons taught their children from an early age that their family does not believe in Christmas.

"I don't think that they ever felt left out," she said, adding that her family, like most Jehovah's Witnesses, gives and accepts gifts throughout the year.

She recalled that when her son was younger, his teacher handed out little plastic bags of candy to each pupil at Christmastime.

Denson found the candy two months later, unopened, in the bottom of B.J.'s book bag.

"I asked him why he didn't open it and eat it, and he said he thought it might have been for Christmas and it wouldn't have been right for him to eat it," she said.

Edited by - Blondie on 22 December 2002 21:48:33

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

But the kid still took the candy and hid it, if only not to face ridicule for his "faith". Instead, he should've refused the candy and opened the way for a good informal witness .

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

The JWs are liars..pure and simple. They DO NOT give presents "all year round"...total Bull.

• heathen
    heathen

I'd take bowling over christmas any time .What the boy does with the candy is his own business.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

It seemed when I was a part of the org. everytime someone found something to do that brought them pleasure or happiness, the borg would become nervous about this activity, regardless of what people were doing. In the late 60's or early 70's we went to an assembly in Houston in the astrodome where one brother had put together a band, complete with bongo drums and other instruments. This was a very creative fellow and he was making those normally dull sounding Kingdom songs actually sound good. Between sessions he even sang solo using the band as his back up. Well it didn't take long for an article to come out in one of the publications condeming people who were trying to promote themselves, or words to that effect. The next assemblys had the old recorded music which was about as uplifting as a trip to the bathroom.

The point to all of this is these folks going bowling on xmas day are sure to be shot down because they are enjoying themselves and are not banging on doors.

• Shakita
    Shakita
    "I asked him why he didn't open it and eat it, and he said he thought it might have been for Christmas and it wouldn't have been right for him to eat it," she said.

Good God, it's just food!!! Seems like they brainwashed him well. Hopefully, when he gets older he becomes a rebellious teenager and eats all the Christmas Candy he wants!!!!

• moana
    moana

Blondie:

They are all such hippocrates - they will always have their hands out and grab any gift & then they will tell you they don't celebrate so you understand that you will not be getting anything from them. I agree when I was a small jw I never got gifts all year long. If I did ask for something I was told I was being worldly & selfish.

Since there is nuttin happenin at work today - think I'll go shopping for selfish and wordly gift.

Peace & Joy

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    The JWs are liars..pure and simple. They DO NOT give presents "all year round"...total Bull.

Agreed. Because of course, it's not only Christmas. Birthdays are out, as are almost all other occasions where giving is expected, and "present days" are discouraged as they're viewed as a sneaky way of celebrating Christmas or whatever. Material possesions in general are discouraged, as is anything that could take time away from meetings, field service and bible study.

• blondie
    blondie

Will jws be at your bowling alleys?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I wish just once when a JW claims that they give presents all year round that someone would follow-up with the questions: What was the last present you gave and when was it? Also, what was the last present you received and when was it?

If it is a JW kid, there would probably be no answer because it just doesn't happen. An adult *might* have given or gotten an anniversary present from their spouse. A single adult JW would have the same answer as the kid: er, um, my worldly grandma gave me some socks a few years ago...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit