I've been meaning to ask what other terms are used for lawyers in the US

by barry 10 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

Ive been for holidays to California and I didn't get in trouble with the law but there is a question I would like to put to our American friends are there other names you use for a Lawyer.

Here in Australia mostly a Lawyer is called a Solicitor and I herd of a businessman who visited the states. He went to an event where there were a lot of Lawyers and he called the Lawyers Solicitors. His American friends thought he meant Prostitutes.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    Her in the U.S. Lawyers prefer to be called "ambulance chasers".
  • adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    Not sure of all the terminology in reference to lawyers, but I know Counsel and Attorney is also used here for lawyer. A prosecutor is a type of lawyer here too.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sharks

Snakes

Assholes

How do know if a lawyer is lying? Their lips move.

95% of US politicians are lawyers too.

Doc

• Magnum
    Magnum
    "lawyer" and "attorney". The term "solicitor" is never (as far as I know) used.
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

aww DOC not all of them.

Some call them just "someone to represent you" or attorney or lawyer.. Some describe as "legal representation".

There are some sleezey lawyers out there, and some inept and lazy ones. But in the midst of those you will find the gems. I can only hope there are some rising to the expert level of professionalism and ability as AS, and BCGs lawyer.

• tiki
    tiki
    Lawyer..attorney...Esquire title after name...DA= district attorney.....counsel....solicitor term is used for the lawyer hired by the town or city to care for municipal legal matters...city solicitor...
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Litigator

counsel

or in my experience, shysters

Shyster /ˈʃaɪstər/ is a slang word for someone who acts in a disreputable, unethical, or unscrupulous way, especially in the practice of law, sometimes also politics or business.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

shysters

Thanks, RIP. Forgot that one.

aww DOC not all of them

That's true. It's unfair to lump all of the good ones in with the bad.

It's also true that it's the 99% of them that make a bad name for all the good ones, too.

Doc

• Giordano
    Giordano

What's the difference between a lawyer and a leech?

After you die, a leech stops sucking your blood.

What's brown and looks really good on a lawyer? A Doberman.

Why does the law society prohibit sex between lawyers and their clients?
    To prevent clients from being billed twice for essentially the same service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit