My landlord is such a complete dork

by lauralisa 31 Replies latest jw friends

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

If there are any real estate agents out there, or people who know about such matters, I would really appreciate some opinions.... if not, I could really use some plain old sympathy. !

I am having a cow.!!! Just 8 months ago, my mate & I moved over 1000 miles to a new state . We found a house to rent. It's been great. We were planning on renting for awhile until money started miraculously started showing up on the kitchen table, and we could actually buy a house.

THEN! Ten days before Christmas, the owner (billionaire developer who bought this house with cash hoping to acquire adjacent properties totalling 50+ acres upon which to build monopoly houses) decides to PUT THE HOUSE ON THE MARKET, since the neighbors won't sell.

We are in the position of having to allow complete strangers access to our home... while still under a lease... which is supposed to terminate April 1. I've at least forced the listing agent to require a 24 hour appointment notice, but the first "appointment" is like FREAKIN TODAY at 4:30. When I got the call my head just filled up with hideous sniper fantasies, and I'm not like that. I swear. Between trying to get christmas stuff packed up and mailed, working our butts off, and cleaning up after my new kitten who has 'irritable bowl syndrome' and who barfs 20 times a day, I need to have my privacy invaded on a regular basis like I need to have my teeth yanked out with pliers. -------->(insert really really bad word here)

Is this legal, his requiring us to accommodate his majorly demented demands? He's asking at least $100,000.00 too much for the place, which means most people will just get pissed off when they actually come in the door. What a dork.

Merry f**g Christmas...... I guess.....

Thanks for listening....... lauralisa

Edited by - lauralisa on 20 December 2002 14:58:12

• rem
    rem

As far as I know, this is completely legal. Just another disadvantage of renting or leasing.

rem

• Valis
    Valis

Laura, your landlord sucks complete dorks? As opposed to incomplete ones? *LOL*

hey laura...as far as I know he has to inform you at least 24 hours before granting access to your home. Its probably in your lease agreement if you can stand to trudge through all that...and yes a big pain in the ass...

Have a good Christmas dear and tell Evan I send my regards and that I miss you both.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LB
    LB

Yep he's allowed to sell it, show it or even ask you to leave. Some states will require a 24 hour notice to show as you have, but others only require a phone call an hour before showing.

• LDH
    LDH

Poor LL!!!

I once had a landlord do the exact same things and after a couple of months of being inconvenienced by people traipsing in and out constantly, I finally decided to take the upper hand.

I insisted on being present when the realtor showed the property, and pointed out to the prospective tenant ALL of the problems with the property, and which problems I had documented that he refused to fix.... LOL.

Then I gave HIM thirty days notice. He was afraid to show the property to anyone.

Lisa

Turnabout's Fair Play Class

• caligirl
    caligirl

Unfortunately, it is probably in your lease that they have the right to show it provided they give 24 hours notice. Check the lease laws in your state, but I know that here, even if a property is sold, the new owners are required to honor the lease. Sorry you are going through all of this right now! Hang in there! If they are really asking way above market value, maybe you will not have to worry about too many people looking at it.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

(((((((((lauralisa)))))))))

I will give you complete sympathy! That is over the top for a landlord to do but I do believe it is legal. Get out your rental agreement and check if there is anything that says otherwise. Some thing for you to consider is if you have to move before your lease is up will the landlord pay your moving fees? Is he obligated to buy you out of the lease like you would have to do if you moved before the lease is up? Check into these things, and voice them with the realtor it just may be the straw that breaks the camels back, lol.

Word of caution, put everything of value that could be taken away, out of sight! It is real common for people to steal during a showing. The realtor can't be with them at all times and if you are there never let anyone wander off away from your view or presence.

Also don't worry so much about how "clean" it is, heck with the new kitty messing up the carpet it's just one of those things that would go against anyone wanting to buy and replace carpet so it means a longer time for you to be there. The prospective buyer is looking for conditions of the house not how the tennants live.

Good luck!

Merry Christmas!

Katie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I recommend calling a local lawyer who will know for sure what is and is not legal. You can sit there wondering and speculating all day, but that will do you no good. Call a lawyer.

If the lawyer tells you that they have the right to do that, then do this:

1. Go to a gag shop and get some stink bombs
    2. Before the people arrive, make sure the house is nice and tidy
    3. Just as they arrive, set off the stink bomb and leave.

Oh yeah... make sure the stink bomb is not the kind that leaves a permanent smell.

• LB
    LB

heck with the new kitty messing up the carpet it's just one of those things that would go against anyone wanting to buy and replace carpet so it means a longer time for you to be there

That would also mean a trip through civil court and a bill for you to pick up the tab for all carpet damage, court costs and lawyer fees. I advise against doing anything of the revenge nature. Also if you blow a sale for the landlord you may be held responsible for that too. This could get very expensive. It's best to either deal with it or move out.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Also if you blow a sale for the landlord you may be held responsible for that too

Spoil sport!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit