Attorney General: JW congregation didn't report child abuse

by betterdaze 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    Litebrite37 minutes agoJust in case they don't know, maybe we should email them to let them know about the recorded testimony of the RC which has done all their work for them.

I saw on another thread (there are so many right now, I can't find it) where some Aussie-based forum members seem to be email contact with the RC.
  • jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    It was born out during proceedings surrounding the Gilbert Simental trial in Murietta, Ca. that it is not considered a confessional when the confession is made to more than one person. In other words, three elders on a judicial committee who then contact the branch with said confession doesn't equal a priest or pastor. While laws may vary from state to state, this just seems to me to be common sense.
  • sir82
    sir82

But a lawyer for the congregation is arguing that the elders of the Jehovah’s Witnesses congregation are protected from the reporting requirements by clergy privilege, similar to the confidentiality of a church confessional.

Does the Delaware attorney general know that the "confidentiality of a church confessional" is shared with 3 elders, then sent to the branch office where it is reviewed by who knows how many Service Department goons, and the notes from the judicial hearing are filed away where any congregation elder with a set of keys can look at it any time he wants to?

I.e., unlike the Catholic church, where a confession is made to one priest who never tells anyone else, confessions in WT-world are routinely shared with a dozen or more men?

• Poztate
    Poztate

The RC was great asking if they saw a robbery or murder or such, would they call the police, to which they affirmed they would. But why on earth not a heinous crime against a child!!!!

On the contrary when elder Dino Ali was asked if he would report a crime such as murder if he gained knowledge of it he replied that HE WOULD NOT REPORT IT

Instead he would "encourage" the person to report it himself. When further asked what he would do if the person would not report to the police he replied he would have to "ring the branch" for instructions.

There was no sense of morality just legality

• Simon
    Simon

Go into a KH and disrupt a meeting - suddenly they have no qualms about calling the police. In fact you don't even need to disrupt anything - just ask some questions and stand up for yourself in anyway and they will want you hauled away.

But murder and child abuse - nothing to see, move along. What a bunch of idiots.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Based on the article, Delaware is a mandatory reporting state, and the WT lawyer is still saying they're not obligated to report.

I think that someone f*cked up. This should have been reported. It is the new WT policy to report. But it did not happen, Thus, this is the only (poor hope) of any defense that they have to offer.

Doc

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"Go into a KH and disrupt a meeting - suddenly they have no qualms about calling the police. In fact you don't even need to disrupt anything - just ask some questions and stand up for yourself in anyway and they will want you hauled away.

But murder and child abuse - nothing to see, move along. What a bunch of idiots."

EXACTLY!!!! An example of "gulping down the camel and straining out the knat."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit