Consequences of staying on the recommended Hotel list

by Samaritan At the Well 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Samaritan At the Well
    Samaritan At the Well

I wanted to share an experience I had and see if anyone else had encountered this same matter.  We always tried to make an extra effort to ensure we stood on the approved hotel lists when going to our special day conventions or District conventions or what they now call Regional.  We use to stay many nights a year and I would save up my hotel points to use at a later time.

I remember checking in at popular chain hotel and asked the hotel clerk how many points would I earn for the 3 night stay? They informed me I would not get any points as all the points that are earned are given away to the society.  I said "what do you mean my points are to be given away".  

They explained since I was getting the discounted witness rate the arrangement from the society was all hotel points would be donated to them.  I don't know if this was a local arrangement or an international one.  I was told by the hotel that if I did not agree I could call the rooming department and speak with them.  Of course I could not call because hubby was one of the speakers on the convention and we dare not make any waves.  Anyone else have this similar experience? 

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I've heard similar from the grapevine. For some years we started to stay at a hotel on the list but used a different discount ( such as ChoiceHotels) rather than the Watchtower discount - and usually got a better rate. At one place it was $12.00 USD a night better.

The last few years I just make reservations where I want. Watching the friends gather around the list on the board looked more and more like cattle gathering together around a lump of straw thrown from a pickup truck.

Bobcat

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep
    This is interesting I never knew this
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

I have heard of this happening. 

We always stayed where we wanted (not obedient). Shame shame!

Typical Watchtower....all take and no give!!!

• 7Starz
    7Starz

What really chapped us was that we were not even asked if you wanted to donate your points. It was just expected!  There was no letter in advance explaining this would happen. 

I could see the society getting the points if THEY were paying for our stay, but such was not the case.

The hotel seemed to have expected the guests to complain and already had preprinted forms explaining the situation.  Basically the issue was not theirs but that this was part of the negotiations in advance to obtain the room rates.

This was a four star hotel.  We asked friends who were staying at other hotels (not 4 star) if this was the same policy and were told that the hotels did not take their points.

Later, I asked and was told the society uses the points for bethel brothers, etc. to pay for their hotel stays.  

I guess they only like to stay in nice hotels while the rest of the flock has to settle for less if they could not get a room with a finer establishment.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    In the US the WT received money for holding conventions in certain cities who have a dedicated fund to promote tourism. In my area the WT benefits from special rates to lease the arena because we do a great job cleaning it....including a free clean up after a massive renovation of the building several months before the first assembly was to be held. So in the end these conventions are profitable for the WT even before counting the donations.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    Interesting; I didn't know that. I do know that the org gets complementary rooms and that it rents those complementary rooms to JWs who need rooming. So it makes money off the hotel arrangment. I've been involved in the process and seen the checks written to the org. The org is looking to make a profit or at least benefit itself in anything it does.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Membership has it's privileges!

We have witnessed this all our lives.  The rank and file gets treated like the cattle.

If you are not a Elder, CO, Bethelite, Pioneer or a GB member you are nothing.

The thing that "upper management" forgets is who pays the bills. That will be the downfall of this organization!

Vote with your feet & Wallet!!!  We have! Yippie!!!!   

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are good options.  First, you are not getting the best deals.  Go online and book your own motel rates.  You keep the points, you get a better price on the same quality room or a better room at the same price.  And you can get a room where you want--there are advantages of being closer to a store of your choosing as well as being closer to the venue of the Grand Boasting Session.  Do not donate any of the savings.

The other good option is not going at all.  You save the whole amount you would have spent on motel rooms (including whatever time and tolls you waste trying to book the rooms), the gas you would have wasted traveling to and from the city, whatever it would have cost you to dine out, and whatever you would have been coerced to donate because they created their deficit.  Their deficit, their problem.  This can really add up.  And, if you really want to rub it in their faces, you could spend the money on a tub of silver rounds, wait for the dollar to become toilet paper, and then have the wealth to remind you of the real cost of attending.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The last few years I just make reservations where I want.

The past few years we've just skipped the Conventions/Assemblies.

I'm convinced that is the best decision.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit