I don't get it!

by Lin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Lin
    Lin

I've been hearing a big uproar in the media about schools banning Harry Potter books, and parents who refuse to let their kids read it, etc. What's the big deal?! When I was growing up, we had Bewitched, I Dream Of Jeannie, Casper, etc. So, what's the problem here? I have read a couple of the Harry Potter books, and I thought they were quite well done and very entertaining! People are freaking out about witchcraft, demons, voodoo etc with these books. People I have a news flash......it's called FICTION!!!!

• wednesday
    wednesday

Lin, if it is in this area, we are in the heart of the bible belt ,baptist rules just about everything here. Many areas around here are dry-thanks to the baptist. Also, the titles to the potter books had to be changed here in usa, the current one chamber of scerets, is called chamber of demons in the rest of the world. (per an interview i saw with him)

i love these books, since when are they worse than "lord of the rings" etc.

Edited by - wednesday on 6 December 2002 20:28:24

• shera
    shera

I don't agree with it ither..let them choose for themselves.Or even let each child have their choice of books to read,that won't conflict with their beliefs.

Freedom of choice

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I felt so decadent watching the movie. Although I felt it was well done, it's not my type of film. Not saying anything bad about it, but it's just not a subject I'm interested in.

My kids are 6 and 9, so I think the movie is a bit too scary for them. As for the books, I haven't read them. Honestly, at this point with my kids I'm not comfortable exposing them to a book about witches. But if they do express an interest, I want to investigate it further to see if it's something I have an objection to. I think I'd also be interested in hearing why they would want to read the book.

• Swan
    Swan

Lin,

I don't get it either. I was talking to my friend about this preacher in Maine in the news who looked like an absolute idiot because he was cutting up a Harry Potter book witha pair of scissors. Then she told me she wanted to buy them for her niece to encourage her to read and her sister-in-law, who is a devout holy-roller type told her no! I was floored!

How is this any worse than Mary Poppins, Willie Wonka, or the Wizard of Oz?

I don't get it.

Tammy

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

People are generaly very dumb when it comes to their versions of what's holy and of anything that threatens that vision in any way, shape, or form. That's why Harry is so hated by religous nutjobs. Think about it, if someone spends so much of their time and life pursuing something (dad and I) that can NOT be proven (other than me posting here, of course) other than "feelings" that they may have about something they'll be very protective of other imaginary things that they think may somehow hurt their imaginary friends.

• Swan
    Swan

You're so right JC! People get really touchy about anything having to do with you and your dad. Just the other day I told my therapist about some of my past conversations with you here on this board and now he has scheduled me for all sorts of extra medical and psychological tests next week!

Tammy

• glitter
    glitter
    Also, the titles to the potter books had to be changed here in usa, the current one chamber of scerets, is called chamber of demons in the rest of the world. (per an interview i saw with him)

Who said that?! No it isn't! The title that was changed was the first book - maybe the publishers didn't think American readers know what a philosopher is?

There is *nothing* wrong with Harry Potter books. There's nothing in them that wasn't in the Lord of the Rings, or the Chronicles of Narnia, the Oz books - nothing that hasn't been part of children's stories since time began. The scary and violent stuff isn't a patch on Grimm's Fairy Tales and nowhere near the horrific violence and cruelty in the Bible!

The religious types are probably just jealous kids actually *want* to read *these* books of fairy stories.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

First of all, LOTR beats the HELL out of Harry Potter. Potter is a child's toy, a complicated and interesting bit of gimcrackery fiction. LOTR is a grand and enduring mythology that put modern English literature into the classical levels of the Aeneid, the Odyssey, and Paradise Lost.

LOTR inspired Potter, and Potter borrows heavily from its liege lord. That said, I like the Potter. It has its place and is quite content making millions of people very happy.

Now, as to the preacher who cut up the Potter, didn't he realize that in this day and age all he was doing was PAYING for ANOTHER COPY which FUNDED the author's efforts to MAKE MORE?

CZAR

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Obviously these idiots would rather their kids read wholesome Bible stories, like Lot screwing his daughters.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit