Question for Biology students/teachers/majors

by Crazy151drinker 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Crazy, it looks like our in-house professor (District Overbeer) found some interesting info for ya.

Happy reading!

j2bf (munching on some glow-n-the-dark bacteria)

• Valis
    Valis

fireflies are not poisonous, so it might be reasonable to assume that the chemical that causes the light emission, luciferin, isn't either. OK just a guess, and I thought this site might help as well on the question of poisonous or not.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

why is it that whenever I have an Idea, someone is already working on it. Thanks Valis for the Info. I need to contact the company and see what they are up 2. Ideally I would used a chemical reaction as the Alcohol would probably kill the Bacteria.

• JeffT
    JeffT

One of the guys on my other board has access to a data base that will answer the question, but he needs to know specifically what you want to use.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Valis,

I emailed the guy from Biolume to see how much the stuff costs. If it got FDA approval, it would make a killing in the Bar Scene.

Jeff T,

I would like to use it to light up Alcoholic Beverages.

• Realist
    Realist

hello crazy,

the stuff is not toxic. its an absolutely harmless protein...green fluorescent protein (GFP). its in use for quite a while already...used in transgenic animals...there are glowing fish, frogs etc.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Thanks Realist,

The folks at Biolume already have a PATENT!! @%@#%# Thats ok. I'll work for them! We shall see. They geneticly altered the yeast in the Champange. Maybe they could alter some sugar or rice so we could make some booze. Ohhhhh the money! *drool*

• Realist
    Realist

crazy,

yeah damn them!!! let me know if you have another good idea!!!

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Realist,

Biolume modified the yeast in the Champagne. To work in Rum I presume you would have to modify Sugar. Maybe you could instead add the various components to the Rum. I bet they already tried that. Im thinking of flying out there in march when my financial aid come in. I would like to talk to them and find out the status of their FDA approval.

I have many idea's Realist, the problem is either A: Someone is already doing it, B: It takes a lot of money or C: I do not have the know-how so I would have to hire someone which then leads back to B. I need to win the lottery.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

"One way you can do it is to clone the luciferase gene into the yeast that makes champagne," he said. Then, when the cork is popped, a seal breaks and drops luciferin into the champagne. The champagne begins to glow when the two agents react.

This is how they did it with champagne. You could either A: Sell the modified sugar to the various Alcohol producers or B: Make it yourself. Tricky Tricky Tricky. I need to talk to these people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit