My High School Reunion

by eyegirl 20 Replies latest jw friends

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i received and email a couple of weeks ago that there was going to be a sort of impromptu reunion the night after Thanksgiving. last year i got the same notice, but was out of town so i couldn't attend. thought about it for awhile and decided i was going to make myself go this year.

i was really nervous....the school where i went was small (for our area) and somewhat clicky--growing up a dub, i was pretty nerdy and didn't have many friends. my brother was thinking about going with me so that i didn't have to go alone, but ended up being too tired--so it was up to just me.

well.....i walked into the bar, ordered a beer, and looked around for people i recognized. started getting really nervous because i didn't really notice anyone. then i saw two people i graduated with, whom i know are married now. i walked over by them, smiled and waved--they saw me, said nothing, no smile. turned around, feeling like an idiot. figured i'd finish my beer and head out. just then i noticed some people on the other side of the bar--they looked vaguely familiar. one of them was a neighbor kid we grew up with. so i walked over and asked "is this our group?"--everyone was so great. they greeted with many smiles and hugs. needless to say, i had an absolute blast last night. there were so many people i haven't seen since graduation--we've all grown up ALOT. it was the most fun i've had in a long time.

just wanted to share it with all my friends here--i'm still smiling ear to ear this morning

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Eyegirl, sounds like it turned into a good evening. Thats great!

We had our 35th reunion last year, but I have never attended one yet. Mostly due to living on the other side of the country. Through Classmates.com, I have initiated contact with some old High School friends and receive a quarterly newsletter telling updated iformation about all who have regained contact. Simply amazing what has happened to who since 1966.

I'm happy you had such a great time. Hopefully, I will make the 40th reunion myself, saving my pennies and dimes now

Lew W

• Navigator
    Navigator

Eyegirl

I just attended the 50th reunion of my graduating class. It was a blast. We had about 85 of the 435 members represented. Sad to say that our list of deceased members is getting rather long. Every now and then, the school where I graduated holds a Mega Reunion where all the members from all of the classes come back. Since the school has been in place for 77 years, it is one heck of a gathering and you get to see folks from the classes just ahead and behind. Hotel space is at a premium when those events take place.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I missed my 10th year, but look forward to my 20th. I did however go to a general reunion for those in my 6th grade class, and it was a blast.

Very interesting to see where life takes people.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I went to my 10th year reunion with the girl who was one of the few worldlys who I could hang out with. I don't know why my mom let me, however, I think she realized that one worldly was better than no Dub friends.

Anyway, we saw lots of people we knew and one young man in particular really made an impression. I'll call him John. He publicly apologized for being so mean to me when we were growing up. I moved into the neighborhood at age 10. He and I were the same age. His brothers were 1 and 2 years older.

He and his family lived down the street and he and his two brothers were the neighborhood bullies. He would knock me down, hit me, spit on me, pull my hair, etc. He would make fun of me for being a Dub and going out in service. He tormented me endlessly during lunch, during recess and later in HS in any classes we had. He was also very cocky and well liked.

He said he was very sorry and he hoped I would accept his apology. I was floored. He said his parents were very abusive and his brothers were the same way, still. He said he was changed. He felt really bad about all the bad behavior and hoped I would forgive him. I had to. There were so many witnesses to his apology, I could not hold it against him. He did tell us that his parents split up and they (mom and brothers) went to family counseling.

At the end of the night, my friend, "Cookie" and John ended up in our hotel room (she and I got a room; I had driven in from Columbus and she still lived at home). I ended up on the couch. I was horrified that she ended up in bed with him. She was too. The next morning, after he left, she told me that if I ever mentioned his name she would never speak to me. I never have. She was dating the man she later married when she and John hooked up.

I somehow slept through most of his visit. I do recall waking up, looking over and seeing his butt in the air. He was on top of her. It was like being in a bad movie. I went home the next day to Columbus, told my husband what happened and said I was never going to my 15th or 20th reunion. He understood.

I did have fun meeting all the people who thought I was a total dork and telling them I was no longer a Dub. I got lots of pats on the back for that.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((((((eyegirl)))))))))

Very brave that you went all by yourself!!!! I'm glad you were able to hook up with some nice folks and had some fun. And just who were those idiots who went to a class reunion only to not talk to or "reunited" with others????? I don't get that.

Did you make some new friendships?? Anyone you'll hang out with beyond last nite?

Thanks for sharing this with us! Glad you had a blast!!!!

XW

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, eye. Isn't it funny how we can feel the loneliest in a crowded room? I am glad you persevered and reconnected with old friends.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I was wondering if you went, Beck. I have been meaning to call you but am on a "house overhaul"......kids are gone

So........you had fun, eh? I know that I have enjoyed every one of my reunions........even the ones where my brother and sister came to help me celebrate! LOL

Let you in on a little secret.......the "nerdy" ones in school usually end up being "cool" after awhile.....the fat ones get skinny, the skinny ones get "normal" and low and behold even the ugly ones (especially the boys) turn out to be lookers!

• startingover
    startingover

Just curious, what school did you go to? When I lived there there was Tech and Apollo. I went to Sauk Rapids.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

startingover..........I can answer this cause eyegirl is my sister! We went to Sartell.....not far from Sauk Rapids. Do we know each other?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit