Hairy Porter and the Chamber of Demons

by comforter 49 Replies latest jw friends

• LB
    LB

Well I for one loved the movie. We saw the first showing this morning in our area and found it a blast. In fact at the conclusion the audience applauded.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

We just got back, it was great! The audiences applauded at the end too - and at the beginning. The theater was packed. I can't wait for the DVD so I can catch all of the details.

gsx1138 wrote:

The only thing that could make it better is the addition of smurfs. ;)

If Dobby were blue - he'd be pretty darn close, don't you think?

Silverleaf

• Celia
    Celia

Just came back too... We went an hour early, and there was a long line outside the door. It was packed. Loved it. Funny how the boys' voices are changing (Harry and Ron). Can't wait to see it again

• NewSense
    NewSense

Dear Spanner:

The word "copasetic" is not used very often. In fact, the first time that I ever heard the word was in the lyrics of a song entitled "L.A. Fade-away" by the Grateful Dead - "...But the pay was pathetic, I wish those boys could have been more copasetic." So, in this context, it could mean "generous" or "kind" or "nice." Basically, the word has a broad range of meaning and can find its gneneral equivalent in the term "cool," which - as every American knows - is the opposite of "sucks."

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Thanks, NewSense!

Oh, you mean "copasetic," not "coposetic" ? Of course I knew the meaning of copasetic!

Spanner

• NewSense
    NewSense

Dear Spanner:

Being highly interested in morphology and etymology myself, I consulted a 1969 desk-top edition of the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. According to my dictionary, the origin of this strange word is unknown. Moreover, according to this same dictionary, this word has three variant spellings - "copasetic"; "coposetic"; and "copesetic." It's interesting that my dictionary offers three variant spellings of the same word. I'm going to check my much larger Webster's Third International Dictionary, and maybe I'll do some on-line research.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

That's very cop(a)(o)(e)setic of you NewSense!

I await the results of your interesting research!

Spanner

• NewSense
    NewSense

Dear Spanner:

Regarding the word "copasetic," I went to the best search engine - Google.com - and typed in "etymology of the word copasetic." It came back with a slew of interesting information. However, when "boiled down" to its essential core, we get the same info: namely that scholars are unable to definitively provide a true etymology. This word is of highly disputed origin. Some say it comes from Harlem gangster slang via Italian. Others say it is of Louisiana Cajun origin. While still others say it comes from Hebrew. Moreover, there are many different ways of spelling this word. Anyway, if you are interested, go to Google.com and type "etymology of the word copasetic." You should get about two pages worth of websites.

Cheers.

• JT
    JT
    I think that instead of seeing Harry Potter, maybe I'll sit around with all the old Watchtower pubs that advocated astrology, pyramidology, phrenology and other forms of occultism. Then, for kicks, maybe I'll re-read Darek Barefoot's book, Jehovah's Witnesses and the Hour of Darkness, about all the demonic images hidden in the various WT publications during the 1980's and 90's. Then I'll look up in the Revelation book one more time - the part about how the organization gets communications from the dead.

And since the organization gets its "new light" from angels...well, maybe I'll try to figure out just what kind of angels give them all those dates for Armageddon that don't come true.

See? You don't need to go to the movies to see a fantasy about the occult and spiritism, you can get the real thing right at home in your Watchtower publications!!

o you are sick- I LOVE THIS POST

GREAT POST you could not have said it any better'

just think you go to see harry for entertainment value, jw turn to the wt for life values and guidance

you got to love it

• Mulan
    Mulan

My youngest son (23) and his wife, are both Four Square Christians. They are apalled at the thought of Harry Potter, and speak out vehemently against it. Of course neither has seen it or read a page of a book. But they heard at church that it is the Devil's work, and believe it lock, stock and barrell. I tried to reason with him about how he sounds like a JW, but it hurts his feelings. Oh well, some people need Kings to tell them what to do and how to think. (he is a very sensitive young man)

I prefer to be a King and think for myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit