What Is The Hardest Thing About Leaving The Truth?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If you've left or are considering leaving the "truth", what is the most difficult thing that you must deal with? Is it losing family or friends? Is it feeling isolated? Is it a loss of faith? Is it worry that you're making the right decision???

• gumby
    gumby

The hardest thing???

Probably knowing that one day I would be coming to Apostate sites like this one, and would one day have to answer ton's of questions to a guy who would go by the forum name of minimus

• Shakita
    Shakita

The answers are: Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. Especially the "leaving family and friends."

Mrs. Shakita

• scumrat
    scumrat

The hardest thing was that I knew my family would view me as an evil apostate and that I would be alienated from them. I could not morally or conscientiously support the WT. It's so sad, they never even asked me why I left.

• freeman
    freeman

The hardest thing? I think maybe giving up the dream of eternal life. And it is indeed just a dream since I do know that all biological organisms die, humans included. Sometimes I want the delusion back, but there is no returning.

Pondering the fact that there are likely more days behind me then there are ahead of me is not fun.

And the most disturbing of all is the knowledge that my own children will also face death.

Thanks for the depression.

Freeman

• els
    els

Losing my family is the worst. One letter to my parents to tell them something I knew they wouldn't approve of and I got a letter back basically saying, if that's your decision then so be it. Same thing from one sister. Nothing from my other sister, my three brothers, any of my inlaws, or my nieces or nephews. It's been four months and it's like I dropped of the face of the earth. Makes me wonder if any of them are capable of any kind of love if they can forget me that easily. els

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Finding my way in a world that was so unfamiliar to me. Not knowing who I was anymore. Feeling so "unprepared" and "emotionally handicapped". And, yes, losing my family was also very hard.

~and, minimus, I have to say I rather enjoy your "pondering" threads......makes me think. I am getting into the habit of looking for the "reflection/question of the day" from you! LOL

• larc
    larc

For me it wasn't too difficult, because of the timing of my leaving. My wife and I faded away right after we married, so I had her support. I immersed myself in my work and in going to college, so I found new friends soon. It wasn't until nine years later that the elders decided to go after us. That was when they discovered that we were celebrating Christmas. Fortunately, I made a job move to another state at that time, and they never pursued us on the matter. Also, my mother was disfellowshipped because, though zealous, she could not quit smoking, so I was able to maintain a relationship with my parents. Occasionaly, my wife and I go back to our home town to attend a wedding or a funeral. We are treated nicely by everyone today. Of the dozens of Witnesses we have seen on such occasions, I have never been shunned, and my wife has only been shunned by one person. Perhaps some Witnesses mellow with age. The ones we know are in their 50's and 60's.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Minimus,

The hardest thing for me was the bleak discovery that all those sex-mad worldly girls were NOT all itching to have their wicked way with me. You'll enjoy this:http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=7936&site=3

Englishman.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think all of the above, minimus, but particularly wondering whether this is the right decision. Big Tex says that it takes more faith to leave than to stay, which is true. As Meg Ryan said in "Joe vs. The Volcano,": "We'll just see, Joe. We'll jump, and we'll just see."

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit