Arranged Marriages by Jehovahs Witnesses

by Atlantis 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I suggest that there is some 'journalistic licence,' in the way the author of the article presents this story. The author's 'twist' may sell some more magazines, but does not seem to be based on facts. 

Never heard of anything like this in Australia.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Where I was living ( in the 1970's in St. Louis, MO), if you dated someone you were "expected" to marry them.  If you dated someone and broke up with them you would be accused of toying with your brother/sister's affection and you got a bad reputation.  If one broke an engagement...forget it!  We were told dating was for the purpose of marriage.  

They were really hard on Ministerial Servants and pioneers.  One of the young brothers was dating an elder's daughter and after the third date was asked by the elders, "you are going to marry her, aren't you?". He had just gotten out of Bethel and she was the first girl he had ever dated!  He did marry her quickly but they never seemed happy to me.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    The article is from Macleans magazine. Take it with a grain of salt. The print media in Canada does not hold the esteem it once did. News papers and magazines here are fading out.
  • Kanon
    Kanon

Arranged Marriages really have nothing to do with the witnesses. I have heard of cases, but they were connected to cultures where arranged marriages are common place. 

Maybe there is high pressure to marry a spiritual gazelle in the hall, pressure to end relationships with someone is in people eyes spiritually weak. Those situations are a lot more regular. 

But arranged marriage for the most part has no connection to the witness faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit