Russell v Russell: the 1908 court transcript

by Londo111 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Londo111
    Londo111

Does anyone know how to obtain a copy?

I have poked around Pennsylvania websites, attempting to figure out how to obtain the transcript, but recently, I have it on good authority that the transcript went missing from the Pennsylvania archives over 30 years ago. It is likely that there is vested interest (JWs, Bible Students) to keep this hidden.

• Giordano
    Giordano

If you haven't already found this ....... Here's a web site that might be of interest as it reviews the trial. http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com/decisions/ctrdivorce.html

It seems to have all the details.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Same web site:

The following excerpt from one of Maria Russell's testimonies in 1907 is highly revealing. To fully understand the context of such, readers should have first read our FINANCIAL BIOGRAPHY OF CHARLES TAZE RUSSELL webpage.
    Q. Mrs. Russell, after you separated from your husband in November, 1897, where did you go live?
    A. I went to my sister's. [80 Cedar Avenue] Q. And how long did you live with your sister? A. A year and a half. Q. Did you receive any support from your husband during that year and a half? A. None whatever. Q. At the expiration of the year and a half, which would be about April, 1899, where did you go live? A. The house next door to my sister [79 Cedar Avenue], which was owned by my husband, which was left vacant, the tenant moved out and I went in and took possession of it and notified Mr. Russell I was there. Q. How long did you live in that house? A. I remained there for four years. Q. During those four years, did Mr. Russell contribute anything to your support, outside of permitting you to live in this house? A. Nothing. Q. And during those four years, how did you make a livelihood? A. I rented furnished rooms. Q. I believe during this time Mr. Russell gave you some furniture? A. Yes, Sir. Q. And that would bring us down now to April, 1903? A. Yes, Sir. Q. And did you leave that house on Cedar? A. On April 16, 1903, Mr. Russell and these men who are with him today came over to my house, and with some others from the office, they were persons connected with the Watch Tower Society and also the [United States] Investment Company and they came over and took possession of the house, and turned me out of the house; he kept the furniture and even retained my pocket book which carried the money that I had received from the rent of rooms. (Maria Russell either misspoke when she said, "April 16, 1903", or the court reporter got it wrong. The correct date was March 16, 1903. According to the police report, at around 3:00 P.M., Charles Taze Russell, accompanied by 4 males and 2 females from the Bible House, arrived at the home of Maria Russell and began evicting her 7 boarders, whom CTR had previously notified to be out by that date. Russell and his thugs brought along their own personal property, which they placed inside the six rental rooms of the large residence. Maria Russell had summoned the city police for their help, but the police refused to stop CTR under the laws of that time.) OBJECTION Q. And then I believe shortly after that eviction from this house you instituted these proceedings for divorce? And also proceedings in the court of Quarter Sessions for non-support. A. Yes. Sir. Q. In which the court sentenced him to pay $40 a month? A. Yes, Sir. Q. Which has been done from that time down until the present? A. Yes, Sir. Q. Have you had any financial aid from your husband except this $40 a month which you have received since about April 1, 1903, down to the present time? A. None whatever. Q. Mrs. Russell, have you any means of your own? A. I have no means of my own, excepting a very small legacy from my mother, just a few hundred dollars, and that has helped to eke out life with that $40 a month which I have been living on since that time. Mother just died just before I was evicted from that house. Q. Mrs. Russell, prior to the time you left your husband, did he ever propose a separation? A. Yes, Sir. Q. When was that? A. That was just before we moved down to the Bible House. It was in 1895. Q. And at that time you were living on Clifton Avenue, Allegheny? A. Yes, Sir. Q. Did or did not Mr. Russell at that time make any threat as to what he would do with his property unless you acceded to his demands? A. Yes, Sir. Q. What were they? A. He proposed that on the ground of incompatibility that we agree to separate, and if I would do so he would give me that house in which we were living, and when I broke down at the suggestion, he said if I did not agree to it, that I would not get anything. Q. After this proposed separation and threat, Mrs. Russell, where did you go to live, you and your husband? A. We moved down to the Bible House. Q. At whose suggestion? A. Mr. Russell's. Q. And I believe you continued to live there until the final separation in November, 1897? A. Yes, Sir. Q. And I believe you continued to do work in the Bible House for Mr. Russell? A. Yes, Sir, down to the time I took sick; and after that I kept on with the work all the time I was there.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Thank you. Yes, I've seen that site recently and it was very interesting. I've sent a message, so hopefully they may be able to guide me where I can get the source material.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hi Londo111,

If you get a reply, would you post a web link if it is online somewhere?

I do seem to remember I read vast tracts of the transcript many years ago. I think it was in pdf format if I'm not mistaken. I should have downloaded it.

SB

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Rachael de Vienne, one of the authors of A Separate Identity, a history of the watch tower's early days, has a copy. She and Schulz, the other author, quote from it in their book. It's hundreds of pages long. She's very busy and is currently writing a textbook on American Colonial History. You might contact her. I'm not posting her email in a public site. PM me for it if you want. Expect a fairly long delay before you hear back.

She lives across the river from me. Nice, smart, younger (compared to my ancient self) woman. I've read through long stretches of her copy of the transcript. It probably will not give you what you want, but it's still worth a read if she will share it. She and Dr. Schulz (a Witness, very infirm and not answering any emails these days) have written a hugely important book. And a biography of Nelson Barbour (lulu.com or amazon).

They put to rest many myths and give startling details not found elsewhere. A recent post here claiming to show the influences on Russell would have benefited from reference to chapter 4 of Separate Identity. Their work on volume 2 is in abeyance until the textbook project is finished.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/b-w-schulz/a-separate-identity-organizational-identity-among-readers-of-zions-watch-tower-1870-1887/paperback/product-21546337.html

• Londo111
    Londo111

Saintbertholdt: Still waiting for a reply.

Old Goat: Perhaps I will send her a query.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Old goat, my PM does not work. But I would loooooove to have that transcript. Also, you have interested me now in reading A Separate Identity. I know that there are portions of it online, but I really would love to have the transcript in pdf form.

If anyone has it,, it would be so appreciated. Thanks!

• Londo111
    Londo111
    ILoveTTATT2: If you get it before me, send it my way.
  • diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I looked into this about 6 years ago, and the price for transcript was around 200 usd if I remember correctly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit