Reading Awake-Equivalent to College ?

by Searchin50 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

the w t s said that if you are currently keeping up with ALL your

awake magazines, reading them diligently then this is equal to a College Degree!

Which to me was completely absurd, they might at least compared it to a class,

however taking into consideration the audience they attract , i suppose this isn't

to absurd after all.

Just thought someone might have that info, if you do thanks in advance, if not

perphaps some will get a laugh hearing this.

Edited by - Searchin50 on 21 October 2002 8:26:31

• Amazing
    Amazing

I'll look it up, because I recall something in print. If I find it before anyone else does, I'll edit this post. A side note: Reading Awake! or The Watchtower phamplets or other literature published by the Watchtower Society will not give a person an equivalent education in any discipline, other than becoming familiar with the JW religion. The reading level is no greater than 8th grade on average, except on ocassion, the writers of these journals will introduce a word or two that is more consistent with high school level.

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

Thanks Amazing you are so right, it was not often

we had to get out Webster's Book thanks.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Perhaps this may help:

"Many times people honestly mistake me for a college graduate, and when I confess that I have never darkened the doors of a college, they are surprised. But I say: No, I am only an avid reader of the Watchtower and Awake! journals." (Awake! November 8, 1994 page 32 "What a Plethora of Knowledge!")

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 21 October 2002 9:56:27

• mindfield
    mindfield

The guy who wrote that has some serious personal issues...

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

Thanks Ozziepost;

Much obliged to you but i still think there is more printed info on this

subject might also be more recent issue of awake.

Searchin

• chester
    chester

Searchin50,

This might be the one you are looking for. Someone else may be able to find another one.

*** w83 6/15 31 An Excellent Education *** An Excellent Education

IT HAS been said that by reading the Watchtower and Awake! magazines, along with other publications of Jehovahs Witnesses, a person will receive, over a period of years, a considerable and broad education. To illustrate, one of Jehovahs Witnesses wrote the following letter:

I quit school in the 9th grade about twenty-five years ago. I have had no secular schooling since then. I should have, by all rights, stagnated mentally. Due to economic circumstancesI had to go to work full time to support my familyI found it necessary to go back to school for a high school diploma. I began school two days ago and the teacher decided to give me a test like the one I will have to pass to get my diploma. The test covered such subjects as science, law, social studies and reading comprehension. I told the teacher I didnt want to take it because I knew I wouldnt do well. But she insisted.

The result was that I scored one of the highest grades. The test grade needed to obtain the diploma is 35, which is the average score. I scored in the 55 range, or 4th year college level. Why am I telling this? Because the main source of my reading in the last eight years has been the publications of Jehovahs Witnesses. I am an avid reader of them and do quite a bit of research.

In the test that I took, I recognized that many of the answers were found in recent issues of our publications. For example, on science there were questions about fluorocarbons, a subject that had been discussed in Awake! It was similar with questions regarding physics, law and other subjects, including recent news events. Such events had been covered in the Watching the World section of Awake! Also, my reading comprehension was exceptionally good. This is due to the fact that I read so much, which is necessary in order to keep up with the large volume of publications of Jehovahs Witnesses.

The credit goes to Jehovah God for educating his people in every way. I still cant believe the results of the test, and so I had to share this experience with you. You should know just how valuable our magazines and books really are, and the work that you do in providing them is really benefiting us in every way. I thank both you and Jehovah for giving me an education I never realized I even had until it was put to the test. It has given me quite a bit of confidence in myself, which is something I needed at a time when the financial burden is going to fall on my shoulders.

Would you like to grow in knowledge, obtaining an education of even much greater value than can be received in any college? You can do so by reading regularly this magazine and its companion, Awake! Not only will these journals help you to keep up with world events but they will also help you to see how these events fulfill the Bible prophecies regarding the time of the end of this entire system of things. Yes, regularly reading these publications not only will improve your knowledge of secular matters but will also provide you with knowledge that will put you in line to live forever in Gods righteous new system.John 17:3; 2 Peter 3:13.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Here are a few choice gems. Notice the last one especially:

*** g95 4/22 30 From Our Readers ***
    I chose not to obtain supplementary education. I prefer to use that time to teach others about our Creator. People are usually amazed at how much I know about a variety of subjects. They ask, "Are you in college?" I tell them I have learned what I know from the Bible and the literature provided by the Watch Tower Society.

M. L., United States

*** g85 9/22 28 From Our Readers ***
    Vocational Guidance

Recently, as a school superintendent, I was invited by the director of a provincial college of secondary education to take part in a series of prevocational talks that professionals in the region are giving to 40 youngsters who will begin the basic course in November and who are now in the difficult period for selecting a career. For my talk, which was for a little more than an hour, I obtained all the information from four issues of Awake!, particularly the articles "Go to College or Learn a Trade?" (October 22, 1984) and "Young People Ask . . . How Do I Choose a Career?" (March 22, 1985) I was congratulated by the teachers and the college director because of the clear exposition and because the message was practical. However, I feel the credit goes to your magazine, which really edifies and teaches.

*** g83 7/22 28 From Our Readers ***
    After reading the feature articles in the May 8 issue dealing with the genuine concerns of the learning disabled, I am moved to offer this letter of gratitude. The wealth of knowledge provided through these articles offered the reader an opportunity to benefit from a similar education I received through many, many hours of college education courses. Because your presentation is so easily understandable by all who need to, I pray for the opportunity to share this issue with the many teachers and parents of my students.

M. F., Special Education Teacher, Connecticut

*** w83 6/15 31 An Excellent Education ***
    Would you like to grow in knowledge, obtaining an education of even much greater value than can be received in any college? You can do so by reading regularly this magazine and its companion, Awake! Not only will these journals help you to keep up with world events but they will also help you to see how these events fulfill the Bible prophecies regarding the time of the end of this entire system of things. Yes, regularly reading these publications not only will improve your knowledge of secular matters but will also provide you with knowledge that will put you in line to live forever in God's righteous new system.-John 17:3; 2 Peter 3:13.

• Jourles
    Jourles

I see you found the same one Chester. I think the quote from the June 83 Watchtower really hits it home for this topic.

Edited by - Jourles on 21 October 2002 10:56:8

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

Thank you all so much for the info; i read all the articles you all posted,

although i almost had to gag on them i can't help it

. wonder how many times they went to edeting, before they were put in publication!!

Educated people can't be this- dumb i'm sorry, i still feel there is a

particular article in an awake that gives all credit to just awake

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit