Quick Build , Remember those!

by Beans 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Beans
    Beans

I was wondering when the next quick build was happening in Ontario, I think it is a great oppourtunity to spread some Apostacy.

After I left the Cong my employer was a JW and my Dad worked there also and they asked me to go to one and help out with the electrical, so I thought that it was kinda my duty to help out as it would be a kind jesture and keep my job. I think it was also my Dads last attempt to bring me back and let me see the love again.

So the funny part was that I was working inside the hall and then all of a sudden I am the only one left and I`m thinking where the hell did everyone go! So I walk outside and there they all were a flood of JW`s heads bowed down thanking JEHOUBIE, I had to control my laughter and man did I feel out of place. The bastards didn`t even have the balls to tell me the food was ready, they just wanted free work.

Beans

Canadian Overbeer

Edited by - Beans on 20 October 2002 15:50:31

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I always loved the kingdom hall builds. My dad had his own construction business and to this day is involved in all the local K.H. .buildings, so as a kid I was always with him. We would do them in a weekend back in the 80's , and my dad didnt know what the word "rest" meant. We stayed there the whole three days, I slept in the my dad's truck when I could sneak away. I was very young but I was always there to hand him something.

As I got older I noticed a couple of things that got on my nerves, this also went for kingdom hall clean up days, or other minor kh reconstructions. One was the great multitude of no talent brothers that went around in orange hard hats telling everyone eles , especially the sisters , what to do. They never did any manual labor. But the sisters should could dig a ditch. That made me sick.

Others who were there and didnt work, would be first in line for the food. Then the ones who , had to be told to stop and take a break , get some food, wouldnt even have a chicken leg or a sandwich left to eat.

• Preston
    Preston

Well, despite my zealous reputation in the congregation, I successfully avoided every single quick build in my area from start to finish.

So the funny part was that I was working inside the hall and then all of a sudden I am the only one left and I`m thinking where the hell did everyone go!
    You inadvertingly described one of the best dreams I ever had.... Wouldn't it be great if there was a meeting and nobody came...
  • shera
    shera

Yeh,I remember.I helped tar the shingles down on the roof

I purposely stayed away form the kitchens.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Another recent Quick Build thread can be found at

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=38967&site=3

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

How could I forget?!

They used to call them 2-day (or was it 3-day) Kingdom Halls, then changed the term to Quick-Build. New Light?

There's a lot more than a weekend involved. Site-prep, laying the foundation, plumbing and electrical, etc. I was at ours from start to finish at 16. Digging, hauling, doing whatever. There's just so much "congregation politics" at quick builds. Some elders never once got dirt on their clothes, all the while ordering everyone else around and very quick to bully.

Quick Builds would be a great place to hand out SL flyers to passerby on the street.

Mike.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I use to like to quick builds, my father was the septic man, he built all the septic systems for so many kingdom halls i lost count. his expertise was in constant demand as my father did a real beautiful job. he wasn't one of these who slapped a system down and a year later you'd have problems with it. the last kingdom hall he was called to do was in the town of Aurora, but he guided the brothers, he was told not to do the work himself as he had cancers and died later that year.

And yes Bendrr it was no two or three day affair for some it was weeks of work. I remember hearing an elder screaming at a young brother for having not completed a chore that was necessary prior to the build. His behaviour was abhorant and I seen many a temper flair up. Such kindness. Do you think the mennonites or amish do that when they raise a home or a barn for their neighbour??

• Satanus
    Satanus

I worked on quite a few. I did plastering, stuccoing, spraying, vynaling. Then they raised the standards for qualifying to work. Since i was a poor publisher by that time i was disqualified.

SS

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Quick Builds would be a great place to hand out SL flyers to passerby on the street.

What a great idea! You can be just off their property and still be right in their face. I must think about this one when our local cong. starts its quickbuild.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Well me being a weak little woman, i was only fit to distribute water at the building sites. And oh yes, nothing finer than being "chaste"=not wearing shorts in 120 degree heat because brother oldfart might get turned on...WHATEVER!!

When we had hall picnics we got to wear shorts...sheesh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit