deliberate deception by org

by Magnum 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

There is ample evidence of the JW organization’s being deceptive (for example, misusing quotes in publications such as the Trinity brochure and the Creation book), but a few years ago I noticed one glaring example of deception that is worth noting.

Part #4 for the Theocratic Ministry School for the week of July 21, 2008 was “How Can False Prophets Be Identified?” The material was the Reasoning Book beginning on page 132 (There was a similar Service Meeting part the week of 8-26-13).

See the Reasoning  Book section “False Prophets” beginning on page 132. But first, consider what the most obvious, the simplest, the most concise, the most black-and-white way to identify a false prophet is. Is it not that he wrongly foretells the future? Doesn’t it seem logical that Deuteronomy 18:21,22 would be the first passage of Scripture one would use to identify a false prophet? Shouldn’t that passage be at the very beginning of the section in the Reasoning Book discussing false prophets?

However, is at the beginning? Is it in the middle? Is it at the end?......  It is nowhere to be found. Those responsible for the book must be aware of the passage.  I say that because they quote De 18:18-20, but for some reason, they chose not to even mention vss 21&22 – two of the most important vss in the Bible having to do with false prophets. Why the omission?  The answer has to be that the org higher-ups know that passage condemns the org.

Suppose that I’m taking a bunch of elementary school children to a zoo.  They know nothing about zebras; they’ve never even seen a picture of a zebra.  This zoo has some zebras and the children want to know how to identify zebras.

I launch into a lengthy answer describing how zebras respire oxygen, their genetic material is DNA, the oxygen-carrying component of their blood is hemoglobin, etc., and I leave out THE MOST OBVIOUS IDENTIFYING FEATURE of zebras.  I never even mention that zebras looks like horses with black and white stripes.  That should be the first, if not only, thing I tell those children. Telling them that would enable them to clearly identify zebras.

The org leaders did something similar to my failing to tell the children that zebras look like horses with black and white stripes.  In describing how to identify false prophets; they left out the most obvious and simplest identifying factor, and they did it on purpose.  They know that De 18:21&22 identifies the org as a false prophet. If they didn’t feel that it does, then they would have included De 18:21&22, and they would have put it at the beginning of the Reasoning Book section on false prophets in the same way that I should have first told those children that zebras looks like horses with black and white stripes.

To me, this is a case of deliberate dishonesty and deception. It’s a deliberate omission of facts that should be included. If I believed the Bible to be true, then I would say it’s misuse of the Word of God. They know they’re wrong, and they’re deceptive.

NOTE: When I first realized what’s written above, I stumbled across somebody else who had the exact same feelings. See http://meletivivlon.com/2013/08/29/why-we-are-not-false-prophets/

See the paragraph shown below from the JW publication Live with Jehovah’s Day in Mind (chap 9, par 9):

Who of us has not said or done something unkind and then later been confronted about it? We likely felt embarrassed or somewhat guilty. Such feelings can lead a person to deny an error or offer some “explanation” that twists the truth in order to excuse the wrong or make it appear correct. Or in an uncomfortable situation, we might be tempted to mention only selected details, editing them to color the facts. Hence, what we say might technically be true yet give a totally different impression. While this may not be flagrant lying, such as is common in the world today, is it really ‘speaking truth each one with his neighbor,’ or brother? (Ephesians 4:15, 25; 1 Timothy 4:1, 2) When a Christian phrases things in such a way that he inwardly knows is leading brothers to a wrong conclusion, to believe something that is really not true, not accurate, how do you think God feels?

Principles from that paragraph apply to the situation described above. The org leaders carefully select information to present in order to give a better-than-actual impression of the org.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

I agree. Another one which disturbs me is the 'Millions now living will never die' subject first brought to the public in 1918,

" ... A public talk titled "The World Has Ended; Millions Now Living May Never Die" was first delivered on February 24, 1918 in Los Angeles, California. Five weeks later, on March 31, 1918 the title was changed to indicate absolute certainty: "The World Has Ended; Millions Now Living Will Never Die." The public talk continued to be delivered under that same title until 1925..."

A short five weeks later the wording was changed to a more 'accurate' understanding, as the light was getting brighter and brighter. Now we go to the jw.org library and look at the WT of Feb 15, 2015,  in the article 'The Spirit and the Bride Keep On Saying: ‘Come!’ par 8,  their  '21st century words' say the following:

"...The anointed followers of Christ have been extending the invitation since as far back as 1918. In that year, the public talk entitled “Millions Now Living May Never Die” offered hope that many will gain life in a paradise earth after the battle of Armageddon. A talk given at the convention of Bible Students at Cedar Point, Ohio, U.S.A., in 1922 urged listeners to ‘advertise the King and his kingdom.’ This appeal helped the remnant of the bride class to reach more people with the invitation. In 1929, the March 15 issue of The Watchtower contained an article entitled “Gracious Invitation,” with Revelation 22:17 as its theme text. In part, the article stated: “The faithful remnant class join [the Most High] in the gracious invitation and say, ‘Come.’ This message is to be proclaimed to those who have a desire for righteousness and truth. It must be done now.” To this day, the bride class continues to extend that invitation..."

Now it is true that the initial heading did say 'may', however, an honest and truthful recounting of this important subject would have noted the change. 

This is what really frosts me about the Watchtower and their '21st century words'.  Covering over, ignoring and intentionally disregarding important historical facts. They would be view as more honourable purveyors of history if they owned up to these facts. The effect is to stain everything they say, causing honest researchers to wonder if anything they say it truthful. The result is that, instead of people looking to their words for guidance, they closely examine everything to see if more untruths or deceptive words can be found. It is certainly doing a disservice to honest students of history.

What is further annoying is the extent the Society will go to to prove the 607 and 1914 dates, squeezing, massaging and manipulating every drop of evidence out of every scripture and historical account. Blatant covering over modern day historical facts brings a measure of guilt and adds to their accountability.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Don't put zebras in the same room as the Org's elephants - they'll block out any new light!!
  • Ding
    Ding
    "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The great and powerful Oz has spoken!!!!"
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The original revelation climax at hand book said the world would end before the year 2000 they then took it out on newer printing and there are many examples of older magazine s being changed by the time they got to the bound volumes or the cd library. 
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Let it be known the WTS Publishing house didn't get rich and powerful by being intellectually honest.

It did exploit the existing belief in the bible present within the population to support the distribution and proliferation of its own publications. 

That's why the WTS/JWS .could be correctly identified as fear mongering Charlatans.   

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Once agion, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Magnum, excellent OP!

The pattern of deception, lies and coverups all point to one conclusion: It's deliberate and the WT leadership know it.

They act very differently than the standards they hold everyone else to. There's a word for this and you know it: hypocrisy.

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses make the Pharisees of the Bible look like amateurs.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• sir82
    sir82

When a Christian phrases things in such a way that he inwardly knows is leading brothers to a wrong conclusion, to believe something that is really not true, not accurate, how do you think God feels?

In my more optimistic / delusional (take your pick) moods, I imagine that there is a mole in the WTS writing department who slips these little nuggets in, knowing that what he writes applies to the org. that employs him.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    One paragraph that is worth mentioning and that I have not seen mentioned here (and much less at JW meetings) is that of Deut chapter 13, which basically says that even if the word of the prophet comes true, you still need to be careful on following such prophet. There is no better writing to make the case for using your reasoning that this paragraph, because they were instructed to watch out, even when the prophet seemed to come from Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit