Therapy

by Moxy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hi Moxy, Nice to see you post again

I went through a few therapists and got to a point when I believed it was a BS and not worth the time and trouble. In fact in some cases I believe it made matters worse. But I didn't completely give up and through a friend I found 2 excellent therapists just about 2 years ago and WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

I went back to college and enrolled in some psychology classes and in the process made a few friends in the profession.

I see both a physiatrist and a dream therapist. (actually the dream therapist is more along the line of senses, as in extra oneslol)

I am glad that I didn't give up now. It has been a tremendous help. I thought I could deal with the issues myself but I only managed to bury them, which only created more issues in other areas and kept me from tapping into my potentials in many areas that effect my life, positively rather then negatively.

I think if you can be determined to keep looking for a good therapists that meets your personal needs you will eventually find the right one for you and it can be a great benefit in may ways.

There are some real doozies out there that shouldn't even be allowed to feed monkeys at the zoo, but there are just as many and more excellent ones. Just keep on keepin on.

Wishing you all the best.

Plum

Edited by - plmkrzy on 20 October 2002 12:38:59

• Francois
    Francois

I hope it's ok if I vote for Jan's remark that you shouldn't have to be struggling with problems alone as being one of the more germane and useful comments in this thread. When I was running a ex-cultist support and deprogramming group, I was surprised to see how many people thought that they were the only ones who where having the struggle they were experiencing. Just the realization that they weren't alone seemed theraputic to many people in the group.

My two.

francois

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I did therapy with a professional psychologist but it ended up being of short duration. Was it helpful. Yes. Did I benefit from it? Yes. He was bright in that he didn't care to explore my childhood or try and sort through myriads of feelings. With all the extraneous material cut, his method of therapy was:

1. What do you want?

2. How can I help you get it?

You'd be amazed how people stay stuck not acknowledging what they want and making a plan and taking action to make themselves happy.

For myself, I wanted answers to questions that a professional psychologist could not answer such as was there a God, how do I find truth, what is the meaning of life. I had to get those answers on my own.

• Moxy
    Moxy

thanks guys. still digesting comments. i especially wanna say hi and thanks to jan and ginny. i respect and miss u guys.

one thing i want to comment on is the theme of friends. yes, friends are vital. someone to talk to. (altho if you really just want to vent, get a journal--also therapeutic.) the problem with friends is that they are your friends. they are unable to see things clearly because they see thru their own biases about you and their own personal fears, concerns, etc. they cannot identify underlying causes like a trained professional (depending on the professional i assume.)

i think i need to explore things that i cant get to on my own.

mox

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I will tell you something that I never told anyone, not even my best friend,

I was once persuaded to accept a referral to a psychiatrist and on to a psycologist (Spelling?), after a particularly bad time at home and in the congregation.. He did not say anything very revealing, but was reassuring. I think now that a lot of the "Blues" was the realisation that the truth could not stand up questioning . But I supressed those feelings for a few more years before I finally woke up - thanks to the afore mentioned friend.

Of more help were self help books ,which were frowned upon by the org but I still used them .

"Your Erroneous Zones" and "Pulling Your own Strings" by Wayne Dyer, helped me a lot to put things in perspective . They say broadly the points that Francoise said earlier in the thread , but put in in way that I could relate to.

Ginny Tosken pointed out that the special propblems J W's encounter are not easily understood by therapists.

Good luck Moxy, whatever you decide ,you will be pulling your own strings.

• frogit
    frogit

Hi Moxy

I'm having counselling for my stress and situation in life (its working), take the advice from proplog2, or go buy the book "A guide to Rational Living" ISBN 0-87980-042-9 by Albert Ellis and Robert Harper.

It cuts thru all the crap you have in your own belief system (life rules), and shows you how to get on with your life and happiness.

Do it now and dont suffer any longer with self induced mental pain

Take care

frogit

Ps everyone should have a look at Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy, (R.E.B.T.) it really makes sense

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit