I don't often initiate posts. Instead ...

by JWinSF 16 Replies latest jw friends

• nita6368
    nita6368

I have looked at all of the recent posts and I guess I just don't understand.....a couple of weeks ago Bill Bowen was everyone's hero. I suggested in a post that he didn't have super human powers but was doing all that he could do as a man, and one poster said...oh no he is a super hero. Now we have people saying that silentlambs shouldn't be associated with the personality of Bill Bowen. Well from where I sit...Silentlambs wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Bill Bowen. He and Shelia have given up their life for the cause, I don't think anyone has an abuse hotline ringing in their homes 24/7. I don't , I really don't have to think of the problem till I look at the posts on the board, I am one of the lucky ones I know. I am not trying to minimize anything anyone has gone through.Bill may not be the most politically correct, he may not sugar coat everything like some speakers, but he is zealous when he puts his heart in something and he has moved mountains with this organization.Again I am not trying to start a war here...just confused I guess.

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((((((((John)))))))))

It was a pleasure to meet you and I understand your concerns. I wish you continued success in your endeavors and *know* you will find some way to continue to help victims of abuse.

Andee,

I agree it would be a good idea if the Silentlambs organization increased its level of professionalism. Bill (and Barb!) need help to attain that. Let's hope they will listen to their advisors and make whatever changes will most benefit the lambs.

Mulan and Princess,

I had the same thought re: the screen names. Bill might want to consider posting personal opinions under his own or another screen name and save the silentlambs persona for official communications on this board. It would help to separate the two... Organizations who depend on all sorts of people for support do not have the same leeway in expressing opinions as individuals do. Alienating your public, whether you are the American Cancer Society, Ronald McDonald's House or Silentlambs is not good business.

Speaking of two... my $ .02

outnfree

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Hi John,

My feeling has always been that its exactly Mr. Bowens personality traits that were the very thing that got Silentlambs off the ground in the first place. Those very traits are what provided the "catalyst" or "critical mass" to get the WHOLE WORLD's press involved in exposing the JW coverups....I have NEVER EVER seen this done before by anybody.

Its like owning a Porsche which can do maybe 300 kms per hour on an autobahn. The same power which can propel the car to such a speed can also be the cause of the car ending up in a ditch in the side of the road. You can't blame the Porsche for that! Don't give up on Porsche cars because sometimes they occasionally spin out!

Same with Silentlambs! I think we should all allow a bit of leeway and forgive, even expect maybe, the occassional spinout.

Pope

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

.....my 2 cents ......

I think Bill is a good person. I think Silentlambs is a good cause. Silentlambs goals are important and I would hope they would be realized.

So, I will continue to support this group.

If the goals of the movement change to goals that I dont support, or if Bill Bowen starts breaking the law or something like that, I would, of course withdraw my support.

His personal feelings about Ray Franz, his personal religious views are irrelevant to me.

I support Silentlambs because SO MANY people have been given a voice and the pressure is being put on the Org, and lawsuits are coming out everyday, and stories are in the press now, and the policies of the WT will be forced to change if these things continue.

I think Bill has done a great job so far. I support this effort.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Sorry to see you remove support from SL, John, but that seems to be the "In" thing to do this week.

Kelsey asked a second time:

where are the ones that are seeking to help the victims get beyond this? Where is the network of professional therapist that can make a diference in the quality of life for the victims?

May I direct your attention to: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=38186&site=3&page=4

Pope: I LOVED your obvious compassion and your analogy of the Porsche with all the power, that, yes, can do a spin-out now and then, especially when pushing the Metal to the Pedal (pressure, stress, trying to accomplish more goals than there are hours in a day, etc.)

LisaBObeesa, I'm with you.

GRITS

Edited by - Grits on 12 October 2002 5:0:7

• abbagail
    abbagail
    User Profile
    Username: silentlambs
    Email Address: [email protected]
    Forename:
    Surname:
    Homepage: http://www.silentlambs.org
    Picture URL:
    Biography:
    Member Level: Master Member
    Registered On: Feb 5, 2001

Who came up with the name silentlambs? Was it Bill alone? Or did he and Barbara Anderson think of it together? (I sincerely do not know the answer to that). Does she have a problem with Bill using "silentlambs" as his handle? Hopefully someone who knows her personally can find out.

Since I have not been around since February 5, 2001, I have not read the content of ALL prior Topics/comments by silentlambs. But from what I've seen in my few months here, all of the silentlambs Topics/Comments have to do with silentlambs, The Group. When Bill "attacked" Ray Franz (whether right or wrong), he did it speaking on behalf of the lambs, past-present-future. It looks to me like everything he posts is either as spokesperson for silentlambs, The Group; and/or to disseminate information about silentlambs, The Group. So why shouldn't he be able to continue using the silentlambs handle? Because he is a Maverick, and ruffles the feathers of some people by his rough-rider approach to things?

Everybody knows when "silentlambs" posts that it is Bill posting. We also know whenever we see "silentlambs" that he is posting regarding something to do with silentlambs. Keeps things simple and recognizable. Why change mid-stream?

JWs, The Religion, have ruffled lots of feathers and how many have asked them to change their "handle"?

Each of us are what we are.

Keep your handle Bill. To the best of my knowledge, you created the name, so use it as you see fit; that is, until you start that "new religion" many are anticipating. THEN a "new handle" might be in order.

GRITS

• Mulan
    Mulan

I heard from Barb Anderson on this subject. I hope she doesn't mind my telling this. Part of what she emailed me, was this:

"Yes, I think the idea of Bill speaking for himself and not for silentlams is an excellent
    one. He's out of the country right now, so I can't point him to all the good advice found on the thread. Yep, you're correct, Bill spoke for himself and not for the Anderson's or anybody else when he posted his opinion regarding Ray Franz."

She was very gracious about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit