I'm being DA by my family

by reagan_oconnor 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

Wow... It's been awhile since I've posted, there are a lot of new names here. I just had to post on this...

I received a letter from my mother Friday telling me that she and my father no longer wish to associate with my husband or me. They will contact me in case of emergency but thats it. I don't know if this means that they will be "reading my name from the platform" or what, but I really don't care. Sending a letter to the elders, etc. (my Dad is the P.O. of their Cong) would indicate that I think their beliefs and practices are substantiated. Which I don't. I just don't recognize them as anything but a cult. Period.

I was raised as a JW for the first 20 years of my life. Baptized at 14, DFed at 18 and reinstated at 20, I walked away from the Organization and divorced my JW ex-husband. I became a Christian, met my husband and have been actively celebrating holidays since. After about five years of hot and cold, my parents have elected to take a stand for their beliefs and disassociate themselves from me. They, of course, tell me that this has been my decision (I dont think theyve ever taken responsibility for themselves in anything) that I have forced their hand.

Their faith is so fragile that they could be swayed in their beliefs by merely associating with someone who has a different viewpoint. Makes you wonder if their conviction could be so easily broken, maybe there isnt much substance to it? Anyone who tells you that the JWs arent a cult is either (a.) smack-dab in the middle of it and a blind believer or (b.) ignorant of cults and clueless as to what cult mentality is.

Thank God for Ray Franz. "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom" have helped me immensely in my struggle to break free from the JWs and their emotional blackmail. I am happier and more satisfied in my life than I have ever been. Although this was a shock, and it makes me very angry, I've been expecting it. I'm almost glad that it's finally over with, that I won't need to deal with them & their "beliefs" when we have kids, etc.

Cheers ~ reagan

• scootergirl
    scootergirl
    Their faith is so fragile that they could be swayed in their beliefs by merely associating with someone who has a different viewpoint. Makes you wonder if their conviction could be so easily broken, maybe there isnt much substance to it?

I have thought this so many times with the dubs stance on shunning! Exactly! I am sorry to hear of what you are going thru right now....it echos so many of our experiences on the board. Unfortunately, they are the ones missing out on life.........

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

This is probobly in leu of the recent KM and he's setting the example for the congration.

Heartless WTS rules again

TT

• outnfree
    outnfree

Reagan,

It's nice to hear from you!

Rather than this being something that your parents puzzled out and decided to do completely on their own, perhaps it's a result of the August 2002 KM which came down hard on the side of more stringent shunning. That's right ... "New Light"... of which you may not have been aware since you've been away from the board a while.

There probably will be no reading your name from any platform, but as P.O., your dad most likely feels he must set the "proper" example. Blech!

outnfree

• Angharad
    Angharad

Sorry they are putting you through this (((((((Reagan))))

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Hi Reagan

Sorry to hear that. Another case of how the cult known as JDubs destroys families.

Dismembered

• ugg
    ugg

it is nice to meet you,,,,,i am sorry for your situation,,,,losing family is so sad i think,,,keep hanging in there!!! (((((((((((((( hugs )))))))))))))

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Yep...welcome to my, our, world Reag....like alcoholics, they lay blame on everybody else for their decisions in life. My abusive ex husband used to say to me all the time, "Look what you MADE me do to you!" And for awhile I believed it...now, I know its THEM who are f-cked up and not me. Which has of course made me the bitch on wheels I have always aspired to be :)

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

Thanks, guys. I'm dealing with it much better than I had anticipated. It's kind of like when you have a friend dying of cancer... it's so slow and painful, it gets to the point where you want them to be done with the misery. Yet it's still a shock when they die. I've been waiting for this for 5 years.

She included a printout from the society of a Questions from Readers article from a Watchtower in the 80s (not sure which one, didn't feel like reading it), something about "my son is married and hasn't been attending meetings, blah blah blah..." I told my husband that I'm almost 100% certain that something came out recently on associating with family members who aren't attending/"in good standing." I guess I was right!

~Just talked to my youngest sister, who thinks my mother is on a mental limb right now. I told K that no matter what my parents think, she is still my sister and I still love her and will be there for her. She told me she can't believe my mother is doing this. I think there's hope for K. I'm not going to push, if she wants to know I'll tell her.

~reagan

• DeProgram
    DeProgram

I had the same problem, my x-wife and her family listened to the new light at the kingdum hall and thought they would shun me, I went to a tuesday nite bookstudy and announced to them how friendly everyone was there, (gag me ,yuck) the immediatly stopped there Borg mind control games and quit harrasing me, sometimes you have to beat them at there own game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit