Was the catholic church an Enemy of scripture?

by gumby 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Navigator
    Navigator

I'm not aware of many protestant churches that accept the Catholic canon of the scriptures. Most protestant bible use the Masoretes text rather than the Septuagint. Although not a catholic, I prefer the Jerusalem bible which is of catholic origen and has a number of extra books that the protestant bibles I grew up with didn't have.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Gumby, thanks to Luther, 30,000 Christian sects don't have the benefit of the entire bible and many of the Traditions that were a part of Christianity since the beginning. Did you know Luther even wanted to get rid of Revelation? Too bad he didn't since so many of the 30,000 sects are "Apocalyptic Sects." What would they have based their religions on -- we'll never know!

I do agree with you that some good came out of the reformation -- like the Church's power is now in check as it should always have been. But I feel you do not have a good grasp of the history of Christianity. It's easy to go into anti-Catholic websites and just accept whatever whimsy argument they are putting forth without looking at all the angles.

BTW, the title of this thread you started and its content in your first post implies that the Church was an Enemy of Scripture. Thus my reply to you that how could it have been an enemy of the very scriptures they canonized. The Reformation and its benefits/faults is an entirely different subject and detracts away from the facts I gave in reply to your initial post.

Navigator, you are correct, most protestant bibles do not use the Septuagint canon. Too bad since it was the one Jesus himself used. And isn't he supposed to be the leader???? The fact is that they follow the TRADITION of Luther and omit seven books from the Old Testament.

Edited by - bluesapphire on 10 October 2002 18:50:30

• gumby
    gumby

Hey Blue.

Seems like to me it was you who quite a while back argued against the authenticity of the Bible.

I could be totaly wrong but it was you and William Penn and myself, and I don't remember the rest.

• RWC
    RWC

Gumby, to answer your questions, I don't think that everyone should become Catholic. There is a benefit to different ideas. However, the world would be a better place if everone followed the doctrine of the Chrisitan Church the way that Jesus taught it. With its emphasis on grace anad mercy and walking daily with Christ, the Catholic Church is the closest I have found to those ideals.

God Bless

• gumby
    gumby

the closest I have found to those ideals.

The sad thing is....ask hundreds of people...what the closest thing to truth is......how many answers would you get?

Too bad the God of the Bibile.....who gave this to his kids on how to live and what to believe.....had such a hard time making it simple enough that there would be no confusion about matters. What happens instead? Judging, killing, discord.................why??????????????

Edited by - Gumby on 11 October 2002 13:16:2

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Gumby,

Re: "Hey Blue.

Seems like to me it was you who quite a while back argued against the authenticity of the Bible.

I could be totaly wrong but it was you and William Penn and myself, and I don't remember the rest. "

I honestly do not remember this at all. Can you point me to the thread?? However, let's assume it's true and I argued against the authenticity of the bible. What does this have to do with the title or the subject matter of this thread that you started? What does it have to do with the fact that I proved to you that the actions of the Catholic Church reveal that it is NOT an enemy of scripture? I'm curious why you cannot bring yourself to admit that you are dead wrong.

This thread did not have to do with my personal feelings about the bible. It had to do with the Church's feelings about the bible. I left my personal feelings out of the thread and don't recall ever having let my feelings known on this public forum.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

http://www.hti.umich.edu/r/rsv/ I think that this is the one that I had at catholic school - for those who want the other bits that the reformation took out - at church I think they have even more pieces and paragraph versions. I must look into it.

The jws could well have done with the story of Susannah.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 17 October 2002 3:49:0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit