Former Elders Please Check IN

by jst2laws 44 Replies latest jw friends

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

18 years,

Regarding Alan's comment I have my notes from October of 89 at a Circuit Assembly.

The DO stated, "If the authorites come for the records what should you do?"

The first elder said, "Cooperate and turn them over."

DO, "What should you do?

Second comment,

DO, "What should you do?"

Third comment.

DO, "What should you do?"

Finally a brother said, "You should destroy the records before you turn them over."

The DO raised his finger and said, "I did not say that!"

Then he went on with the program. I was obvious that is exactly what they wanted up to do.

silentlambs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Alan,

I do remember a statement to the affect that the because congregation files pertain to Kingdom interests they are beyond the authority of the secular authorities but that search warrants must to be honored, though the Legal department should be called immediately. I cannot recall the word 'hide' of 'hidden' being used and my notes do not indicate this. Bear in mind that I attended the KMS in Europe which may have stressed a slightly different angle.

Best regards - HS

PS - this seems to be the official line :

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=35244&site=3

Edited by - hillary_step on 5 October 2002 0:59:15

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Alan,

Who of you remembers the Society's orally given instructions from about 1990 (give or take a year or so) to the effect that if secular authorities come around demanding confidential files, "they will not find them"? In other words, the Society said, in so many words, for elders to hide information from the authorities

As a publisher in the 1960's I knew not to divulge congregation matters to the "authorities", what is your point? We were all well versed in the practical matters of Theocratic Warfare. This is by no means anything new.

IW

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Jst2laws: Here!

Alan: I heard the instruction. The same thing is as much as stated in the BOE letter of July 1, 1989. Check the paragraph that ends with,

"...Conscientious elders will want to do all they reasonably and peacefully can to preserve the confidentiality of the congregation in harmony with the principle set out in Acts 5:29.

Edited by - Marvin Shilmer on 5 October 2002 1:17:29

• minimus
    minimus

1980---2002.....with a couple of years off for bad behaviour

• alfie
    alfie

Another "Prince" checking in

CIAO4NIAO!!

alfie

• qwerty
    qwerty

Carn't Miniscule Serpents be added to this thread?

I was one for 10 years ish! In my last cong I was a being groomed for appointment to Elder......on the verge of my first Public Talk etc.

Anyway my fellow XMS's don't feel left out.

Qwerty.

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

I was an elder for 7 years.

FreePeace

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

OK, OK ten , gee you can't hide anything around here.

HCM

• Dia
    Dia

I'm proud and happy to be in your company. Truly.

I can't wait to read your expose. I'm sure, with the right author/editor, it could make the best-seller list.

Everyone is interested to read about how good and noble intentions get twisted and perverted into cruel or evil actions.

It's the age-old story of good and evil that fascinates (and educates) us all. Or perhaps it's the story of good and evil and apathy.

Y'know, "The only thing needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing".

I hope you - and we - are joined by many, many more.

Perhaps eventually by all of them. ;-)

Edited by - Dia on 5 October 2002 8:35:36

Edited by - Dia on 5 October 2002 8:50:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit