When brothers don't reach out

by Sadie5 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Same story. I was a natural public speaker. I could have 'em rolling in the aisles one minute, and wiping away tears the next. I could make 'em believe that JC and all 12 of the boys were going to show up for a covered dish any evening and we'd all better be ready.

But I was also in college and that was a no no, even though the congregation overseer was a college graduate AND my uncle.

And like most JWs, I despised going in service. I'd do the usual, like get a territory card as far away as I could find. Go by a laundromat and slow down to about 80 and throw in an old book, like the LG. Then I'd drive to this remote territory at 12 miles an hour, make one call at one door, and drive back to town at 12 miles an hour. I usually did this alone, or with my main squeeze at the time, so frequently after we got our time started, we'd find a secluded little nook somewhere and grouse in the goody for an hour or three.

"You're a natural speaker," they'd tell me. You could be giving talks at district assemblies if you'd just get on the ball. Well, that was the last thing I wanted. I had other agenda to deal with at assemblies and it had nothing to do with giving any damned talks. Not with all that new, fresh, strange, squeeze walking around all over the place.

Screw 'em.

francois

• LB
    LB

Sadie it sounds like you married a man that followed bible principles such as putting the needs of the family first. That just doesn't wound like a sin to me.

• jack2
    jack2

This is an excellent thread, and having been through the whole process - nobody, MS, elder, and back to nobody, I can relate to the initial post and replies totally.

Sadie, good post!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

You need to reach out!! I was told. I was asked to be an elder by the oldest coldest dogmatic elder in the KH.

I don't think I am ready or capeable to be an elder, I said.

To not accept his offer of being an elder is a "SIN OF OMISSION" he said.

Well ok you must be right, I said.

They made me an elder and then this same old fart tells me I am not service minded enough. He said.

I am going to have you removed, he said.

The CO tells him you can't do that.

But I can remove myself, I said. I refuse to remain and elder, I said.

Now the ones who wanted me in and the ones that wanted me out were all pissed at me.

I got confused. Oh well. Outoftheorg

• minimus
    minimus

Brothers that wouldn't reach out were considered spiritually weak. Once you get that tag, you'll always be looked down upon. Congrats to your husband for ignoring the uneducated window washers.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Boy, the Elders hate it when a brother has his life together and does not live and breath to just be an "official" MS or Elder!

The best Christian service is one that does not require you to be a MS or Elder: Help and encourage one another and look after widows and orphans. True "Sacred Service" that is acceptable to God!

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Thanks everyone for the comments. Looks like this was an issue that was everywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit