I'm not a JW, but i've got some questions.

by iamtaylormh 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iamtaylormh
    iamtaylormh

Hello. I'm not a Jehovahs Witness...I dont know what I am. When I was younger and my parents were divorced, I celibrated different religions with each family, attending many differnet churches, from methodist, to catholic, to christian and so on. As a result, I was unable to seperate the beliefs of each religion and not really understand what I believed in and where I belonged. Since then, i have declared myself as 'religious' but with out a title, or name for what religion i am. I pray. And i try to live a life of honesty and doing whats right...that sort of thing.

I've become really good friends with someone, who's family is JW... they are all really nice people, and them being the only ones i know to represent the religion, makes my reputation of JW...well...good. If that makes any sense.

I was wondering, if you could give a simple explanation of your religion...what you believe in...how i would know if it could be the right religion for me...and so on.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hello I AM!

I was raised in the organization of JWs and left since I disagreed with what they taught.

Here is a hyperlink to a web site that has quotes from the JW's publications on different topics.

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/

• pincushion
    pincushion

This is an Anti-Jw site so you won't find many here still in that faith...browse through the message on this forum..read all the messages you can...it will open your eyes at what a farce the JW beliefs are. They appear nice when you first meet them..but in the end they are a bunch of backstabbing hurtlful idiots. Not to mention the abuse and molestation that goes on, but is never mentioned or reported.

IMHO

PC

• detective
    detective

Taylor,

please try reading up quite heavily on this group before you even THINK about joining.

You will find a wealth of information here about JWs.

As an outsider, I'd also recommend you check out some websites by two leading cult experts:

www.freedomofmind.com

www.rickross.com

I'll bet you weren't aware that experts in the field of cult study consider Jehovahs witnesses to be a cult, huh? Well, I wasn't either, until I started doing some research. why? Well, like you, i became friendly with a witness(es). After awhile, I heard one too many strange, uncharacteristic things come out of my friend's mouth. I got curious, I started poking around and...

let's just say I will NEVER join the Jehovah's Witnesses. That'd be NEVER! But make an educated decision for yourself by reading everything you can get your hands on related to this topic. Good luck in your research!

• iamtaylormh
    iamtaylormh

well i guess im in the wrong place. but you misunderstand me. I'm no more considering to be a JW than i am a christian, catholic, bhudist...or anything. I try to get information about religions from the followers not the disbelievers.

jehovas-witness.com : an anti JW community. hmm. perhaps i should try antijehovas-witness.com then

sorry to have wasted your time, i wont be back

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Welcome to the Board iamtaylormh!

I am a Christian, and I thank the Lord Jesus Christ for opening my eyes and setting me free from the false religion CULT of the Watchtower Society/Jehovah's Witnesses.

There are good people in the Jehovah's Witnesses, but there are also WICKED people in the Jehovah's Witnesses, and their Leaders are EVIL!

The Official Jehovah's Witnesses Website is http://www.watchtower.org

I thought I would Post some of the Jehovah's Witnesses (JW's) beliefs:

There are about 6 million JW's worldwide, and 1 million in the USA.

The JW's believe that Jesus Christ is a CREATED SPIRIT PERSON named Michael the Archangel.

The JW's believe that the Holy Spirit is NOT A PERSON, but an impersonal "active force" like electricity.

The JW's REJECT the Bible's Teaching that you cannot be saved by doing "good works."

The JW's believe that you must go to 5 Meetings a week, and go Door-To-Door preaching their "Good News" in order to be saved at Armageddon (and then only if you put in "enough" hours).

The JW's believe Armageddon is coming "very soon" (they've been saying this for 130 years, plus they have had NUMEROUS false prophecies, such as Armageddon coming in 1874, 1914, 1918, 1925, World War II, 1975, 1984, 1994, 2000), and that ALL non-JW's will be DESTROYED.

They teach that if a woman is raped, and she does not scream and/or fight off the attacker, then she has committed fornication and will be Disfellowshipped (Excommunicated) from the Congregation and will be Shunned by all friends and family (who are outside her household), and they will not even say "Hello" to her, and she is told that if she is Disfellowshipped when Armageddon comes, God will destroy her and her children (if she has any).

They also teach that receiving a Blood Transfusion is "against Jehovah God's Law", and God will destroy you at Armageddon if you take a Blood Transfusion. Also, if you allow your child to have a Blood Transfusion, Jehovah will destroy the child at Armageddon. But, now, the JW's allow certain Blood Fractions, but not others. In the past, the JW's were forbidden from accepting Organ Transplants and Vaccinations, but they are now allowed.

Also, in the past, the JW's were forbidden from performing Alternative Military / Civilian Service, but it is now allowed.

The JW's forbid celebrating ANY holidays, such as Christmas, or Birthdays. JW's forbid even celebrating Christ's Resurrection.

The JW's forbid ANY Political Activity (although I think they put out an Article saying that Voting in Elections is up to the individual JW's conscience now).

The JW's teach that only 144,000 "Anointed" People go to Heaven (God's selection of the "Anointed" began with the Apostles and ended in 1935). All other people, who are called "Other Sheep", will live on a Paradise Earth forever, as long as they obey all of the Watchtower Society's Ever-Changing List of Pharisaical Commands and Rules. JW's allow ONLY members of the "Anointed" to partake of the Wine and Bread at the Lord's Evening Meal Memorial, which is held once a year, in March or April. They teach that if you are NOT one of the "Anointed" and you partake, then Jehovah will be VERY ANGRY WITH YOU.

Charles Taze Russell, the Founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses, had MASONIC, ILLUMINATI, and OCCULT connections (he used several Masonic Symbols and Phrases in his Publications, and he also requested to have an All-Seeing Eye Pyramid built on his Grave. I believe Charles Taze Russell was also accused of molesting a girl, but I am not 100% sure on that.

The Watchtower Society (Leadership of the JW's) made their own Bible "Translation" (called the New World Translation) so they could alter and corrupt the Bible and make it agree with their own beliefs and false doctrines (they have changed nearly all Verses that showed Jesus Christ's Deity, to make it appear that Christ was NOT God. For example, John 1:1 reads "...and the Word was a god." And they inserted the word "Jehovah" several times in the New Testament where the word "Lord" should be, and also, every time that a Scripture says that Jesus Christ was being wroshiped, they changed it to say "do obeisance to" instead of "worship")

The JW's do not believe that there is a Human soul or Human spirit that lives on after death.

They do not believe in Hell.

JW's believe that the 11-Man Governing Body of the Watchtower Society is a "Prophet" of God and that whatever this Governing Body says is the WORD OF GOD!

If you break ANY of the JW's Rules and Laws, you could be brought before a Judicial Committee of 3 or more Elders, who will then pray to God and make a "spirit-directed decision" on whether or not to find you guilty or innocent. If the Elders judge you as "unrepentant" they will Disfellowship (Excommunicate) you, which means all your friends and family (who are outside your household) will SHUN you, and anot even say "Hello" to you. If you go to the Meetings and suck-up to the Elders, you might get Re-Instated in a year or so.

The JW's forbid Smoking.

The JW's forbid Boxing, Wrestling, and Self-Defense Training.

The JW's forbid carrying a Gun for your Job (such as a Policeman or Security Guard).

The JW's forbid Participating in the National Anthem and Pledging Allegiance to the Flag or to any Government.

The JW's REQUIRE all their Members to Count their Time in Preaching on a Slip of Paper and are assigned Record Cards of Activity, determining this as a "gauge to their spirituality".

Also, here is the Watchtower Society's HIERARCHY:

1: The 11-Man Governing Body of "Anointed Ones"

2: Watchtower Society's Presidents, Lawyers, Spokesmen, Bethel Elders, and other really Big-Shots at Bethel in Brooklyn.

3: Zone Overseers (ZO)

4: District Overseers (DO)

5: Circuit Overseers (CO)

6: Bethelites (People who work at Bethel)

7: Presiding Overseer (PO) (Top Elder of each Congregation)

8: Body of Elders (Leaders of each Congregation)

9: Ministerial Servants ("Wanna-Be" Elders)

10: Local "Anointed" Brothers and Sisters

11: Auxiliary Pioneers

12: Pioneers

13: Publishers

Jesus Christ (Michael the Archangel; the Word) was the first of God's creations, and Jehovah God used Jesus to create all other things.

Jesus Christ died on a "Torture Stake" NOT a Cross (the Cross is PAGAN, they say).

Jesus Christ was raised from the dead as an Immortal Spirit Person (Michael the Archangel), and He was NOT raised up in His fleshly Body! However, they teach that Jesus did "materialize" in a FAKE BODY to TRICK the Apostles into believing that He was raised in His fleshly Body. Jehovah God did away with Jesus' fleshly Body by turning it into gases!

Jesus Christ's Second Coming and Presence is in spirit and is INVISIBLE, and it began in 1914.

The 144,000 "Anointed" ones are the ONLY ONES who are BORN AGAIN!

Also, the 144,000 "Anointed" are the ONLY ONES who have Jesus Christ as their MEDIATOR! All others have the "Anointed" as their Mediator!

ANYONE who leaves the Jehovah's Witnesses Organization will be SHUNNED, and are called "APOSTATES", "SATAN-WORSHIPERS", and "ANTI-CHRISTS".

The Governing Body receives all of their Teachings and Doctrine through the following Channel:

Jehovah God gives the info to Jesus Christ.
    Jesus Christ gives the info to the angels.
    The angels give the info to the Governing Body.
    But sometimes, Jesus gives the info to one of the "Anointed" who is already in Heaven, and then he gives the info to the Governing Body.
    Also, sometimes, Jesus just uses the "holy spirit" active force to give the info directly to the Governing Body.

All Jehovah's Witnesses (since 1985), are Baptized in the Name of the Father (Jehovah), and in the Name of the Son (Jesus Christ/Michael the Archangel), and in the Name of the Spirit-Directed Organization of the Watchtower Society!

Jesus was NOT the Messiah or Christ until He was Baptized and BORN AGAIN when He was 30!

The JW's teach that all of the dead "Anointed Ones" were taken to Heaven in 1918.

The JW's teach that the Jehovah's Witnesses were chosen by Christ as His Organization in 1919!

• mark_simpson
    mark_simpson

mmm...A lot is said here that is quite, well frankly, pathetic! If you are really intereset in what Jehovah's Witnesses really believe why not ask you JW freind that you associate with. I also noticed that no-one ver posts any scriptural thoughts! Why not?

here are some basic beliefs that are different from so-called mainstream Christanity:

What beliefs of Jehovahs Witnesses set them apart as different from other religions?

(1) Bible: Jehovahs Witnesses believe that the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God, and instead of adhering to a creed based on human tradition, they hold to the Bible as the standard for all their beliefs.

(2) God: They worship Jehovah as the only true God and freely speak to others about him and his loving purposes toward mankind. Anyone who publicly witnesses about Jehovah is usually identified as belonging to the one groupJehovahs Witnesses.

(3) Jesus Christ: They believe, not that Jesus Christ is part of a Trinity, but that, as the Bible says, he is the Son of God, the first of Gods creations; that he had a prehuman existence and that his life was transferred from heaven to the womb of a virgin, Mary; that his perfect human life laid down in sacrifice makes possible salvation to eternal life for those who exercise faith; that Christ is actively ruling as King, with God-given authority over all the earth since 1914.

(4) Gods Kingdom: They believe that Gods Kingdom is the only hope for mankind; that it is a real government; that it will soon destroy the present wicked system of things, including all human governments, and that it will produce a new system in which righteousness will prevail.

(5) Heavenly life: They believe that 144,000 spirit-anointed Christians will share with Christ in his heavenly Kingdom, ruling as kings with him. They do not believe that heaven is the reward for everyone who is good.

(6) The earth: They believe that Gods original purpose for the earth will be fulfilled; that the earth will be completely populated by worshipers of Jehovah and that these will be able to enjoy eternal life in human perfection; that even the dead will be raised to an opportunity to share in these blessings.

(7) Death: They believe that the dead are conscious of absolutely nothing; that they are experiencing neither pain nor pleasure in some spirit realm; that they do not exist except in Gods memory, so hope for their future life lies in a resurrection from the dead.

(8) Last days: They believe that we are living now, since 1914, in the last days of this wicked system of things; that some who saw the events of 1914 will also see the complete destruction of the present wicked world; that lovers of righteousness will survive into a cleansed earth.

(9) Separate from the world: They earnestly endeavor to be no part of the world, as Jesus said would be true of his followers. They show genuine Christian love for their neighbors, but they do not share in the politics or the wars of any nation. They provide for the material needs of their families but shun the worlds avid pursuit of material things and personal fame and its excessive indulgence in pleasure.

(10) Apply Bible counsel: They believe that it is important to apply the counsel of Gods Word in everyday life nowat home, in school, in business, in their congregation. Regardless of a persons past way of life, he may become one of Jehovahs Witnesses if he abandons practices condemned by Gods Word and applies its godly counsel. But if anyone thereafter makes a practice of adultery, fornication, homosexuality, drug abuse, drunkenness, lying, or stealing, he will be disfellowshipped from the organization.

I also find it amazing how so many have nothing positive to say about Jehovahs Witnesses. It reminds me of the first centurary Christians who were also spoken against. Wow, Jesus was so very much loved that they impaled him!!

As I said in the begining, I we think it proper to ask and listen to your JW associates as to what what their thoughts are, for truly as regards this sect it is known to us that everywhere it is spoken against!!!! - Acts 28:22

Mark

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    (1) Bible: Jehovahs Witnesses believe that the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God, and instead of adhering to a creed based on human tradition, they hold to the Bible as the standard for all their beliefs.

Well, that's not entirely true. The standard for their beliefs is the current Watchtower interpretation of what the Bible says. For example, their belief that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 is completely unsupported by the Bible, but is a cornerstone of their belief system. They have swung back and forth between various beliefs, claiming the Bible as their source each time even when the beliefs are diametrically opposed. (e.g. will the men of Sodom and Gomorrah be resurrrected?; who are the superior authorities Paul spoke of in Romans?)

(2) God: They worship Jehovah as the only true God and freely speak to others about him and his loving purposes toward mankind. Anyone who publicly witnesses about Jehovah is usually identified as belonging to the one groupJehovahs Witnesses.

Now, that's not really true at all. Publicly witnessing about Jehovah is not enough to be considered one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It requires association with the Watchtower Society, and complete compliance with their teachings.
    The "loving purpose" spoken of here is the impending destruction of more than 99.9% of the world's population.

(3) Jesus Christ: They believe, not that Jesus Christ is part of a Trinity, but that, as the Bible says, he is the Son of God, the first of Gods creations; that he had a prehuman existence and that his life was transferred from heaven to the womb of a virgin, Mary; that his perfect human life laid down in sacrifice makes possible salvation to eternal life for those who exercise faith; that Christ is actively ruling as King, with God-given authority over all the earth since 1914.

Some of that is arguable from the bible. The 1914 teaching is not. It relies on the most bizarre interpretations of prophecy, plucking scriptures out of context, and most damning of all, demonstrably false chronology.

(4) Gods Kingdom: They believe that Gods Kingdom is the only hope for mankind; that it is a real government; that it will soon destroy the present wicked system of things, including all human governments, and that it will produce a new system in which righteousness will prevail.

Yeah, real soon now! They've been saying that for over 120 years.

(5) Heavenly life: They believe that 144,000 spirit-anointed Christians will share with Christ in his heavenly Kingdom, ruling as kings with him. They do not believe that heaven is the reward for everyone who is good.

This is a most bizarre belief, that the number 144,000 - representing symbolic members of 12 symbolic tribes of symbolic Israel, - symbolic virgins - symbolically standing on symbolic Mount Zion before the symbolic Lamb with symbolic names symbolically written on their symbolic foreheads, symbolically singing a symbolic song and symbolically listening to symbolic harps - mentioned in Revelation 14 is a literal number.

I can't even be bothered doing the rest of them. They're just too dull.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Jehovahs Witnesses are the Happiest people on earth.

Just ask them

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I'm no more considering to be a JW than i am a christian, catholic, bhudist...or anything. I try to get information about religions from the followers not the disbelievers.

That's a bit of a trap, though. The JW's themselves will tell you the same thing as what you suggest. I remember a tract they used to publish that said something like, "Would you ask prejudiced scribes and Pharisees about what Jesus believed? Then why go to prejudiced sources to find out what Jehovah's Witnesses believe? Ask the Witnesses themselves!" On the surface, that sounds like a reasonable argument.

The catch, however, is that all you will get from the Witnesses themselves (or most any other group, for that matter) is their sanitized, pre-packaged PR material that is designed to make them look good. In their two primary study books for new converts, you'll find a brief reference to the fact that "true Christians" (read = JW's) do not accept blood transfusions. But you won't read anywhere in those books that you will be expected to die or let your children die rather than accept a transfusion, and that if you violate this rule, you will end up outside the organization, shunned by all of your family and friends who are JW's. Isn't that something you'd want to know about before getting involved with this group? But you most likely won't be informed about it until you are well along the way to complete indoctrination. Unless, of course, you come to sites like this one, where such matters are exposed by "disbelievers".

Here's another one: if you study with the JW's, at some point they will tell you that they disfellowship immoral people from their organization, in order to keep their congregations "clean". They probably won't go into great detail about what this means for the disfellowshipped person. They won't mention that even his own family members - mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister - if they do not live in the same home with him, will be expected to have nothing to do with him, except for absolutely essential family business matters. Any family member who violates this shunning edict runs the risk of being disfellowshipped himself. And they also won't mention that, in addition to various forms of immorality, one can be disfellowshipped for disagreeing with the organization's doctrinal position on any teaching. Or for exposing any sort of wrongdoing in the organization publicly. They also won't likely tell you that disfellowshipping decisions are made in secretive, "star-chamber" type hearings held behind closed doors, with no witnesses allowed and no records of any sort permitted to be made by the accused - 180 degrees from the Biblical example where matters were heard 'at the city gates' in full public view. The Witnesses won't tell you these things until well along the way to full indoctrination. Many do not find out about these things until after they are baptized, and themselves subject to disfellowshipping if they object to these procedures. That is the danger involved in 'getting information about religions from the followers not the disbelievers'.

I think that anyone who is thinking about getting involved with a religion, especially an exclusivist one like the JW's, ought to also give some attention to what former members are saying. It's the only way to get a fully rounded picture of what life in the group is like. If I had done that as a teenager, I might have spared myself 30 years of bondage to a cult.

Edited by - NeonMadman on 27 September 2002 10:41:47

Edited by - NeonMadman on 27 September 2002 10:51:58

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit