• avengers
    avengers

Is all religion wrong?

Yes

Religion is opium for the people.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Is all religion wrong?

No. The walking braindead need a place to belong, too.

Farkel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Religon is a snare and a racket. -- Judge Rutherford, 1940

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

"Beware of "organization". It is wholly unnecessary. The Bible will be the only rules you need. Do not seek to bind others consciences and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God's Word today and so continue to grow in grace and knowledge day by day."~Watchtower 1895, page 216

"There is no organization today clothed with such divine authority to imperiously command mankind. There is no organization doing this today; though we are well aware that they ought to be permitted to do so; and many more would like to do so. This was the fatal mistake into which the church began to fall in the second century; and the effort to realize this false conception culminated in the boastful imperious counterfieting of the coming kingdom in Papcy, which for centuries sought to dominate the world by claimed "divine authority." This idea more or less pervaded and poisoned the ideas of all the protested "clergy" as well; who copying the Papacy's false ideas of the Church, claim also that the church of Christ is now organized though they now make less boastful claims to "divine authority" to teach and rule mankind in general, than the Papacy does." ~Watchtower 1893 p. 266

Good question, but I don't really know. Just thought you might like to see these quotes from "God's Only Visible Organization on Earth". They really blew me over. Funny thing is, these quotes make a good point. The question is, how did JWs go on to build a multimillion dollar corp after stating thus?

• Buster
    Buster

Not necessarily wrong, I think. It seems there are enough people on this planet that seem to need the structure, something to see, hear, and obey. Somewhere they can go for assurance and guidance. Neither is there any shortage of people that want to do the assuring, and guiding. But I think it is a weakness nonetheless. Just because many/most people want/need it, doesn't mean God requires it.

I don't know where I got this, but I don't think I thought of it myself. But I equate the human urge for organized religion to the Israelite demands for a king. We don't need it, but if we must, it is there. But it comes with the overhead, the good with the bad. The good: buildings we can enter, people we can hear and who can hear us. The bad: they are peoplethat like to make rules, get in petty squabbles, and have selctive judgement as to when, where and how to deal with other.

One more boring point: I swear I think the bible is a test in and of itself. If you want to believe that the bible is god-given, then I think it was given to see what a mess we can make of it. How closely we we would scruitinize the trees and lose the forest. Building huge organizations as the guardians of the good book is the evidence we failed the test.

• JT
    JT
    The earliest forms of religion were meant to explain the unexplainable like the movement of the planet around the sun, the location of constallations in the sky, earthquakes, eclipses, and any other natural occurence one can name. This slowly evolved into something not only political but a means of controlling the parishioner, which is a far cry from worshipping any sort of diety IMO. As well, there are only a couple of reasons people follow religion anyway...one, they are born into it and guilted into staying, they seek spiritual validation in their lives that they can't seem to find on their own, or they do so for the social aspect (which is not so bad). So I guess my answer would be yes...they all suck, just some more than others.I could

I could not have stated it better

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit