reading different versions of the bible

by showme 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• showme
    showme

What is the rule for a JW on reading different versions of the bible besides the NWT? Can they compare between them?

• Matty
    Matty

There has been a lot of comment here about the flaws in the New World Translation, but a witness can happily distort and twist most bible translations.

Before the full NWT was launched in 1961, Witnesses generally used the King James, or Authorised version. They also used the American Standard Version extensively.

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

I wonder how they would twist this scripture from the NIV

Colossians 2:16
    Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religiousfestival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
  • RevMalk
    RevMalk

It doesn't matter what version you read, they're all mistranslated, misquoted and misrepresented. You can only take it for what it's worth. God's message is there, but you can't read too closely.......I think it's a test. A test of our faith, a test of our intelligence, and a test of our willingness to seek. Personally I believe all of this, in this world is a test of these things. How hard do we search? How much do we care?

Don't forget the Silent Lambs march
    September 27, 2002 - A day in History, Will YOU be there?
    Brooklyn, NY

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Here's something I just noticed, the New World Translation OMITS the following Verse:

Matthew 18:11: For the Son of Man came to save that which was lost.

Interesting, eh?

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Back in the summer of 2001, I began an adventure into different translations of the bible. I wanted to prove to myself once and for all that JW's were not just incorrect, but that they were very wrong in how they have twisted the scriptures.

I didn't know what I would find, since the only bible I had owned for years was the NWT. I found total caos among translations. I spent so much money on these translations, and I wasn't learning anything. Each translation had it's own "authorized" rendering. Everyone had an opinion.

When I read the book called The Isaih Affect, I was so enlightened to discover that the bible does not contain all the books, and that more books had been discovered. Then I remembered that King James commissioned a bible to be translated for the masses, and yet, he would not even "sign off" on the final copy. To me that is a statement. He knew the great religious scholars of the day were only giving the people what they wanted them to have. And, they were distorting the translation to make it appear as if MAN was ever dominate over WOMAN.

It didn't take long for me to realize that all these translations are just like the "words of people". Words can be changed and manipulated to serve a purpose. The bible is just a history book. It is a mixed up rendition of the history of mankind. It's filled with inaccuracies and contradictions. It excludes the dead sea schrolls and books written by women. Because the King James Version was the beginning of the translations, it was just a starting place. But simply enhancing a corrupted product does not make it "god's word".

I'm not saying that there is nothing good in the bible. I say there is. I say, as with everything else, including the Koran, the Morman Book, etc., that we have to learn to take the good from what is available to us. We have much to learn from the great teachers (the enlightened ones) that have walked this earth. Great teachers, not just Jesus.

Some "history books" are easier to read than others, and that's the way I view reading the bible. I found a translation with large, easy to read print and in modern English, and when I want to find a verse I go there. Nowhere did Jesus refer to a "bible". This is something that mankind has done. If you have love, then why would you need a whole book(s) of instructions on how to live life. It doesn't make any sense.

I live in Virginia. We have the code of Virginia. Every state has it's code. Then there is the Federal Code and the Code of the United States. These are the standards by which we live, in an established "christian" society. Other places in the world have developed their standards. These are our guides for getting along with each other on this planet and interacting as human beings. We monitor our behavior nation to nation as we do man to man. We do this to co-exist.

But, the underlying theme of all societies everywhere is love and compassion.

Only our universal creators know our destiny. We were created to live life and to be loving. Love simply takes care of everything else. It's so simple. Man has made it complicated.

Love and Light,

Sentinel/Karen

Edited by - Sentinel on 22 September 2002 10:40:59

Edited by - Sentinel on 22 September 2002 10:42:0

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I just looked up that in Matt. 18:11, it is ommited in the NWT and the NIV.

It is in the KJV,,,, this is just like what Karen said. There is good in these books. But to base whole truth and what they mean is pointless really. Even going back to the very first know manuscripts of the Bible would be just a man's interpretation of what he thinks God's ideas are.

IF the Bible is inspired by God, then why are we so left in the dark? Why are things missing, why was it allowed to be so flawed.

I can go for the idea that we must have faith,,,,,,,, it is hard to have faith if things are so screwed up thou. How can we hope on things that could be just a dream of some man. It might be a pretty dream and wonderful thing, but it doesnt make it true.

I am sure we can try to study and find truth, but I am convinved we can never find God's purpose by such an old , cross translated book wrote by imperfect men.

Does anyone know what the lost books of the Bible are called , and have any of you read them. I know there are some , just forgot the names. THe Macobies or something like that????

• blondie
    blondie

It is a job to get the average JW to open up the NWT and read it. Occasionally, the WTS will quote from other Bible translations but these are carefully selected. JWs are strongly discouraged from quoting from anything other than the NWT at meetings and on Bible studies. Even public speakers are cautioned not to quote from other Bibles. For awhile, a certain CO quote often from the Amplified Bible and quite a few elders copied him. The next CO came through and put a stop to that.

Here's my favorite Bible comparing site (no NWT though)

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible

• Navigator
    Navigator

The thing I can't figure out is why everyone thinks that God no longer reveals Himself to mankind just because a bunch of guys got together and "canonized" the Bible.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

I believe that there most certainly are Translations that are quite accurate to the original texts.

I am curious, hasn't anyone compared the Dead Sea Scrolls to today's Translations?

I would think that would be a good way to make sure how much the text has changed over the Millenniums.

The NWT was INTENTIONALLY CORRUPTED by the Governing Body to support their own teachings.

I am not a big fan of the NIV.

I do really enjoy the King James Version (however, it is definitely hard to understand some of those old words).

I have found some Translations I like, which seem to be pretty un-biased Translations, such as the "Literal Translation of the Holy Bible" and the "World English Bible".

I do think that the NIV is WAY BETTER than the NWT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit