Do you have a JW hero?

by Island Man 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Island Man
    Island Man

When I say JW hero I mean a JW who courageously did what was right despite the indoctrination and peer pressure to conform to cultishness. I have an unknown JW hero that I've never met but only heard of from an experience relayed to me about an incident at a JW funeral.

I was told that at a JW funeral internment, a non-JW put a wreath in the shape of a cross on the grave. Shortly thereafter a JW elder came up and removed the wreath. But not long after another JW - a relative of the deceased - came up and put the wreath back on the grave! That's my JW hero. Who is your JW hero? What did (s)he do?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Elders who put brotherly love before organizational rule keeping are all heroes in my book. I've known plenty.

Frank

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    The only ones I've known that would do something heroic have all left the religion. I can't name one that is still in that has ever done anything even remotely heroic.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

I'm still in and know quite a few brothers who have either bent or broke a rule in order to help someone in the congregation. They are in the minority but are there nonetheless. Speaking casually to a disfellowshipped brother or sister at the KH is a heroic act, imo. Displaying mercy even when the Watchtower is against it is also a heroic act. Saying nothing when a parent is secretly associating with a disfellowshipped son who does not live at home is loving and, in the JW religion, also heroic.

Frank

• Clambake
    Clambake

Year ago I had a JW work for me and sometimes I would ask him to unload some trucks after hours. The truck drivers would pay him cash. Usually 50 dollars for 45 mins work. Over a period of a year he would do this maybe 50-60 times. End of the year he would declare this as income and pay tax on it. I am like dude, its cash , don’t worry about it. He was like “ pay to Caesar with is Caesars “ . He was literally the most honest person I ever knew. I later found out he was inactive.

I have seen he out later on Sunday morning in a suit. I think he was might be going to another church now. No disassociation, doesn't care.

I knew another JW that wouldn’t allow his children to even consider becoming baptised till they were legal adults even though they wanted too. Even had words with the elders over this. Only one child out of three become a JW. I kind of had a weird respect for him.

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

Hold Me-Thrill Me

Jehovah knows what is happening in the Christian Congregation. Do you need to tell Him?

• oppostate
    oppostate

Ray Franz, Ed Dunlap, Rinehardt Lengtat, Chris Sanchez, Nestor Kuilan and their wives are all heroes in my book, even martyrs who suffered the abuses of a religious publishing house and real estate corporation that insists on placing themselves between God and men, and seeks to drain people out of their youth, their labor and their meager means of living.

Anyone who suffers from the abuses of the WT religion is a hero in my mind.

I won't share my personal view of the WT hierarchy since Russell down to the current GB7, but it ain't very pretty and I'd have to use words better not said in mixed company!

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown
    Jehovah knows who you are.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Acts of true heroism that are not motivated by some personal agenda to appear more righteous than others (which IMO cancels out the hero factor) by a JW is so rare I don't recall ever witnessing it.

Your cross wreath story is a good one though.

I now consider anyone who left to be courageous.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

sparrowdown; "I now consider anyone who left to be courageous". All of you here

are my heroes. The ones I looked up to are now gone, there were a few in the 60's and 70's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit