Losing their best--Getting rid of good elders

by VeniceIT 22 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

In January of this year, a prominent elder resigned because he was criticized for continuing to talk to an inactive couple, who had been very close friends. This couple are being gossiped about, as being apostates, although no action has been taken, and no announcement. He didn't like the scrutiny on himself and his wife, and thought they were wrong to talk to him about this issue, so he resigned. I think it was good timing because since then, the congregations have been more reluctant to let other elders resign. Well, back to elder #1: A month ago, he was told that all of his privileges were being removed because he was no longer "irreprehensible", because he continues to talk to this couple and allows his wife to be close friends with the wife in the couple. He says this action is unprecedented because he has not been an elder for 8 months, so WHY are they doing this? Why is it required that HE be irreprehensible? He asked them if he was being reproved, and they told him "no, but that his privileges were being removed." He is still a true believer, but has cut back his field service and meeting attendance, because he can no longer read, or pray, or handle microphones. He doesn't want to explain why he can't pray if he is the only brother there, or read if the same situation is at book study, etc. Evidently he can still comment, give talks and go in service, but isn't doing those things either. He has cancelled talks, previously scheduled, and no longer volunteers for impromptu talks, something he did weekly. The CO is scheduled to come in October, so more answers may be forthcoming. His wife says he is very demoralized and doesn't understand. He is one of the really good men, who were still in the congregations. The couple are hoping he will call and ask questions now. So far, he hasn't talked to them about why they left "the truth".

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Wow Venice thank you for sharing! This is a great example of stupid the borg can be. I've always said that inspite of what JW's teach, there are still good people within the organization, but if the borg keeps this up, that may no longer be true. Only the whack-jobs that make up these half-assed regulations, pedophiles, and those who protect them will be left on the inside. And then I will be free to hate them all...hahaha!

Edited by - joannadandy on 18 September 2002 19:43:59

• Mulan
    Mulan

Unbeliveable. You would think they would want to keep the elders, not deactivate them.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Hey Ven,

It is too bad that the JW organization is so 'blind' in their rules.

They do not see it as 'losing' a good elder. They see it as keeping their precious org 'clean'. Of course... those left are usually dirtier than those that get kicked out.

(Perhaps they are blinded by that light that keeps getting brighter??)

Regards,

Jim_TX

• Larry
    Larry

When I had a show down with my mother telling her I've had enough of the organization, she said while shaking her head "It's always the smart ones that leave." So yes, not only the 'good' elders leave but the 'good' publishers leave as well. As jjrizo said:

The really good ones (biblically wise) will see the futility of it all and eventually walk.

Peace - LL

• Preston
    Preston

I'm not too quick to put on my cheerleader outfit and yell out "Rah, Rah, Rah!" One of the illustrations our elder body loved to incorporate in their talks was the one about sticking your finger in a bucket of water. You are the finger in the illustration, and you may move about at your wish, but once you leave the water the space is filled. Humilty has a strange place in the congregation. As a former M.S., I never thought of my work as important, so why would anyone care about losing their so called "best and brightest"

• Berean
    Berean

If the congregation as a whole looks at this former elder as still being an older man in a biblical sense, then the BOE, and sometimes the Society, will look at him as being a dangerous man in the congregation. This will be especially so if he is doing something that is frowned upon. A minor matter will become a major matter and will then will result in magnified reactions that would normally be overlooked if done by someone that was always "just a publisher."

Berean

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

HEY Berean!!!! Good to know your still alive! how ya been??

Ven

• Berean
    Berean

HEY Berean!!!! Good to know your still alive! how ya been??

Fine VeniceIT. I think, though, you may be confusing me with another poster with a similar screen name. I think that name was berea or something similar.

A couple months back I was being blasted for posting one thing and then wanting to know why I was questioning why I was being jumped on for the post. Never did get it across that there were two different people posting.

Thank you for being a kind attentive poster at this forum Ven.

Berean

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ohhh thought you were a friend of mine in WA, my bad!!!!!

Good to see you anyway haha

Ven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit