JGnat Says Hi

by jgnat 71 Replies latest jw experiences

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

JGnat with all your obvious ability at writing, have you ever considered putting this all down in an anonymous story and submitting it to a publisher?

If you were to add to it and have a beginning and an end It would make very good reading.

You already know this don't you?

Outoftheorg

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Thank you Big Tex for bringing this back up. I missed several of the last chapters.

WOW (((((jgnat)))) what an inspiration you are. A stong woman who has faced and continues to face life head on and learn from it.

I love to read people's epxeriences. It brings out the humannes in us all.

Thanks for sharing, Jgnat.

j2bf

• jgnat
    jgnat

Holy thread resurrection! You guys are making my JWD anniversary very special.

Big Tex, I am so touched that you followed my roller-coaster story through.
    This is a subject on which I know nothing, so all I can offer is empathy and a listening ear.

Ditto for me, Big Tex, when I think about your story. And, yes, that is a wedding shot. And yes, my daughter is very much like me. I was complaining to my boss the other day that my girl is so headstrong, I need a two-by-four to get through to her. He smiled, “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, huh?” I asked, “Whatever do you mean?” Her strength carries her through many of her battles. I am very proud of her.

happyout,

There is something about having a mentally ill person in the family that makes for great stories. I am slowly learning to be a mom to my boy, but I am still uncertain how much good I do. After a half-hour negotiation (over the menu and what we may or may not do for recreation), he did come over for supper the other day, and he left with a hug. In-betweens he shared some hair-raising stories that still get my hackles up thinking about it. My son has provided plenty of story material the last few months, but I wonder if I do him justice by telling about it here.

The other day one of my staff asked why I am always smiling. Things had been rough in that office lately. “The irony of life”, I replied, “The irony of life. Working for the government, you just gotta laugh.” I do have a laugh (privately) when a staff person cries “You couldn’t possibly understand.” or when someone tries to manipulate me. I am battle hardened, yes, but thank God He has kept me gentle. I am such a great boss (I still remember my poor kitty), and it is just a huge waste of effort to try and take me head-on.

I pulled the photo off the ‘net because I liked it, and it looks a bit like the country around Smalltown. Though I am back in the city, my heart still yearns for that country. The photo itself looks artfully modified.

Centred spiritually? I don’t always feel so. Sharing on this board has alternately shaken then modified my beliefs. I will always be a Christian, because to do otherwise would be a betrayal of my salvation. And I use that word in the literal sense rather than the biblical. I will be forever grateful to the coachman. My thoughts on the bible have changed. I wonder if God supervised it’s creation with a light hand. After all, Jesus did not write down his instructions, he lived them. I do believe Christianity is best imparted by example rather than by rote, as Jesus did with his disciples.

SheilaM

, your first paragraph is confusing in it’s use of my and yours. Could you give it another try? I want to respond appropriately....and I can’t tell you how touched I am when you say, You come through with such a true honest voice. As a fellow writer’s club member, you know what a huge compliment that is. I do struggle to be honest in my writing. To be honest demands a thorough self examination of my motives and feelings. When I hit the mark, my writing does carry the ring of truth. Then I am successful carrying my readers along, as they can see themselves in the story. A side-benefit of becoming a good writer, is becoming a better human being. I can’t lie to myself as much. And do you think my writing has ’voice’? Really? So cool. Re-reading, I find the writing kind of flowery, poetic. Nice to read, but not my real voice, of course.

Outoftheorg,

I do aspire to write and be published. Learning about the industry is an education itself. I still have to learn how to accept rejection slips with grace. I don’t know how marketable this story is to a mass market. You guys understand, because of the JW connection. Also, the story is not satisfactorily finished. Perhaps when my honey “comes out of the closet”. That event itself should create some good material.

Hey, (((((joy))))) we never did chat about boats! Perhaps next time you sail through.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

JG: I think it is a very strong piece. Not too flowery at all

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

jgnat excellent reading and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Life is a journey and so it goes.........may yours be long and filled with contentment.

Kate

• Banshee
    Banshee

(((((((JGnat)))))))

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.It was quite moving and I must say that I think you are one courageous, strong, intelligent, witty woman. It has been a pleasure reading your posts here as well as chatting with you. You have a wonderfully bent terrific sense of humour that I appreciate!

Thanks again for presenting us with a beautifully written portrait of your life.

---Banshee

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Jgnat: nothing surprises me more than an old thread being resurrected, and I'm not immediately aware of its original date.

Wonderful story, and the picture of your daughter, son-in-law and grand-daughter, brought a big huge to my face.

As for your son: I see you being the MOM as you have always done. You do what you do, and what you can do, with what you have; if that's nothing more than love and some wits: that's not bad at all.

I enjoyed the read. I had zero background as to who JGNAT is/was.

Some threads are worthy of being resurrected.

This one, exudes humanity.

• Odrade
    Odrade

JGnat,

Holy thread resurrection again! I got curious about what brings a woman like you to the board. You know as much about this stuff as any JW, though your perspective is different... and I just wondered.

This story was great, and I was glad to find it here.

Odrade

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks Odrade for resurrecting the thread--I'd not read it before and it was wonderful to read.

I find the writing kind of flowery, poetic. Nice to read, but not my real voice, of course. I find the writing kind of flowery, poetic. Nice to read, but not my real voice, of course.

Not your voice in one sense, but a reflection of the way your mind is thinking. Those reflections are so enriching to us all.

Hippie hygiene days... I almost got caught up in that kind of thing in college...

I suspect that your character and understanding have been deepened by not having all your prayers answered as you wanted. And you are certainly proof that "suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Rom 5:3)

How is your son these days, Jgnat? How is your daughter and family?

bebu

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

I clicked on the link of your 10,000th post...I had never read this before.

What an amazing story. I am so glad you are still here four years later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit