Secrets of JW Elder Power

by Amazing 45 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty
    O.K. ....ANYTHING could happen

So true. It amazed me when I was an elder just how much power one had over the individual lives in the congregation. I know that statement doesn't come as a surprise but it was equally amazing just how many times the elders simply didn't follow the Society's rules and just made up things as they went.

When I was called before a JC for apostacy (I joined the local YMCA) the 3 brothers turned to the Question From Readers article in the January 1, 1981 WT and basically used it as a guide. This was a big "no-no" because the Society always stated that the local elders, not the boys in Brooklyn, were giving the individual the boot. I just laughed to myself because two of the guys had been serving as elders for some 20 years each and should have known better. They should have also known that this meeting wasn't needed because by joining the Y I had basically DA'd myself. But I just wanted to mess around with them (which was a blast).

Now at the appeal meeting, those brothers whom the CO had appointed, knew what they were doing. They used only the Bible (and the Society's twisted reasoning) to establish that I was an apostate. They even made the comment that I wasn't df'd but rather Da'd and that this meeting wasn't even needed (DUH!). The second meeting was also fun but I enjoyed play mind games with the stupid elders even more. Jeez, so many of these guys just don't have a clue on the rules of the game.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    They even made the comment that I wasn't df'd but rather Da'd and that this meeting wasn't even needed (DUH!).

I know what you mean. Us too!

Ozzie

• Amazing
    Amazing

Minimus:

Let no one ever ask the question,"Can you get disfellowshipped for this?" ever again! The answer is YES, YOU CAN GET DISFELLOWSHIPPED FOR ANYTHING!.....another "secret" of JW elder power.

Why go to extremes and now say that no one should ever question the issue. Why not just admit that in some areas some JW Elders did things with a different understanding of the inconsistent oral training and let it go at that. Whatever, the Society allows such things to take place anywhere and everywhere, so these acts become defacto policy.

...btw, How do any of us know that some who claim to be "in the house" were ever? How do we really know who was or really wasn't an elder, m.s. or pioneer? Who really cares?

I think that those who comment about their Elder experiences pretty much demonstrate the facts ... but if you must know, I will be happy to give out a location where I was a well known Elder and you can follow it up to verify it. How about you and Dino?

Who really cares? I do. I think it is important that we represent matters as honestly, truthfully, and accurately as possible.

• minimus
    minimus

"why go to extremes?"....very good question! In case you missed it, I was being a smart alec.I know you do enjoy that type of humor too.The bottom line is: who cares about beating this thing to death? "Can't we all just get along?".......As james would say....s m i l e .

• blondie
    blondie

After reading all this, I wonder how long after a reinstatement then would the individual have to attend meetings regularly (any time allowed for being sick?) and be regular in the ministry before they would be off the hook for not showing proper repentance....6 months, 12 months, longer? How many meetings would you have to attend (all five every week)? How many hours a month would you have to put in (10 or more?)? Would the elders tell the individual that they could be DF'd for not meeting these goals?

I can remember a little process called "probation" in days gone by. The individual would be not be disfellowshipped by "put on probation" and required to show "works befitting repentance" for a year before the "probation" would be lifted and they would be off the hook.

Is this a holdover from that?

*** w67 2/15 127 Avoid the Snare of "Saving Face" ***

A man who takes some false step before he is aware of it does not fall into the class of such incorrigible sinners. However, there may be occasions, due to the seriousness of the sin, when the congregation committee finds it necessary to place a person on a probation of surveillance, as a helpful, corrective measure. Such probation is not to be viewed as some adverse judgment, something destructive of ones "honor," a penalty to be bucked against. Rather, it is a loving provision affording him opportunity to prove the sincerity of his repentanceand at the same time to help the repentant sinner recover his spirituality and to make him strong again. Kindly counsel given during the probationary period will build the person up so that he will not make a practice of sin. Rather than try to "save face" by protesting a probation, and getting others involved emotionally, one who has committed a sin should welcome this loving arrangement leading to his recovery.
    *** w63 7/1 410 What Disfellowshiping Means ***

If the sin has not caused public notoriety and does not endanger the congregation, the one involved may be placed on probation. The terms of the discipline would be made clear and the one under such surveillance would report to the overseer once each monthfor the specified period as a loving arrangement to assist the individual to regain himself.

Edited by - Blondie on 22 September 2002 1:7:9

Edited by - Blondie on 22 September 2002 1:12:29

• minimus
    minimus

Surveillance-----they even admit that! WOW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit