Burning Bridges--a Bad, bad habit.

by LDH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Andee:

And that is the journey we see so many on here are taking. Unfortunately, there is no "one size fits all" roadmap that leads people to become who they really are. We look to others to point out a path that they found to be scenic and passable. We may find "their" road to be bumpy and ultimately, it dead ends on us. So, we seek other paths to continue to grow beyond our WTS persona.

I guess I'm describing how to leave the nest and be a grown-up and make choices.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, okay that's what happened- now what???

And each getting there in their own way. Something that was never afforded them nor allowed along the way "their own path".

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train and it's not Armaggedon either. All are heading for that light and some will get there sooner than others and they'll be in a place to be holding the lantern in the tunnel, continuing to show others the way out.

Tips hat to Andee!!!!!

XW

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for this thread. Everything you said is very true. I was very young when I was directed by my mother, a newly converted JW, to stop all association with my school friends, my cousins and not to even go over to my grandmothers house, only if necessary. My grandparents lived right across the road. Gradually, we were "disconnected". I don't remember any real discussions about it with anyone. I just stopped asking them to stay overnight or go to an event with me, and when I stopped asking them, they just dwindled away. I felt abandoned actually. Misunderstood and never accepted. Feelings that I've always had to deal with, and JW's just enlarged that problem.

Everyone in school knew that I was a JW. I was very active and proud and would witness to anyone who was curious, or at any ocassion where an explanation of my behavior was asked. I was not ashamed. I felt honored to have been "chosen" to be a mouthpiece for the true god. Everything I did, I tried to be a good little witness and set a good example.

I believe that my family was always dysfunctional. I was always taught by my dad that HE was the bad seed of the family, a disappointment to all. Therefore, he projected his feelings onto us as his offspring. When my mother became a JW, it wasn't all that difficult for her to to just "assume the position" that we were already outcast, so now we had a reason for that. Children simply don't know any better. We wondered why our cousins didn't want to play with us, or why we were made fun of, even in our family, because we didn't have a bathroom or running water in our little home. Dad could have provided better for us in those days, but he didn't. He was always so depressed and his self esteem was low. He wasn't even interested in the JW's and fought my mother after awhile, for a position "higher than her Jehovah", which didn't work. Funny, I never heard them arguing about anything other than "that religion". Dad was losing some of his hold on mom, and he felt threatened. Because he had shown so little interest in us when we were growing up, it was easy for me to discount him as "a worldly person", even though he was my own father.

So, we burned lots of bridges, that is, we helped to burn those bridges and we were too young to know what we were doing. I remember visiting my grandmother, and instead of speaking about the JW religion sensibly, they simply told me my mother was a nut. How could they have spoken to a child like that? They only made me more loyal to my mom.

We were considered just weird and strange because we didn't go to any other churches anymore, and would not attend the little Sunday School that our grandparents used to take us to. We refused to take part in any of the holiday programs, for Christmas, Easter, etc.

Later on, when I was married and a mother myself, I realized the damage that my parents had done by way of their independent actions,....my dad, with his personal attitudes, and my mom with her religion. I tried to reacquaint myself with Aunts and Uncles. A few accepted me back, but others just don't have any connection with me anymore, despite my efforts. Those bridges were burned, and I can't do anything about it. Other family members accept me but still look at me strangely. Some just opened their arms and said "welcome back", we knew you would figure it out sooner or later.

I was able to reconnect with two of my good friends from school successfully. One told me that she "knew" I would come around one day, and we just laughed about it all. Yet, I did lose a few others along the way.

But, that's life. I cannot say that my experiences were any worse than anyone else's. Mine are just unique to me.

Believe it or not, there are still many folks that do not know what a JW is. I am so used to referring to them in conversation that way and it makes for interesting situations sometimes. And, whenever you indicate that you were involved in a cultish religion, people really do LISTEN. I think it frightens them a bit.

But, now JW's are almost front page news, so they are building their own reputation, and it isn't pretty. They have burned lots of bridges along the way.

Sentinel/Karen

• teejay
    teejay

Some bridges are rickety and need to be burnt.

That's not to say that the gubment can't come in and build a better one -- concrete with reinforced steel. The end of one bridge doesn't mean the end of all possible crossings. People aren't bridges.

• teejay
    teejay

You know we cool, right Lisa?

I meant to say this the first time I came through: despite all the kudahs you got from everyone -- how great it was you said what you said about burning bridges and errah thang -- I wondered about all the things you had going on in your post: the reds, the bolds... even the italicized bolds. Gollee gee.

"What's goin' on with Lisa?" I'm thinking. This ain't her style whatsoever. She's normally way more straight up.

You okay?

• breeze
    breeze

YDH,

This sooooo true?

This is something you have put together own your own? I suppose just from your personal experiences?

I am troubled by this a lot? I never thought of this in this way?????

Relationships inside the organization were always different, they of course see everything mostly the way you do, so there is little or no resistance. But even though their inside the org some experience this problem and isolate themselves because of their constant and relentlessly judging themselves and those around them.

Burning bridges does become second nature and is very difficult to overcome!!!

BREEZE

PS: This very good stuff....keep it coming.......and your good at keeping secrets..... Thanks

• Farkel
    Farkel

Lisa,

There's no way I could ever burn any bridges, because I hate everybody!

Nothing to burn!

Farkel

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

So Farkel, how are you making any win-win situations out of that?

j2bf

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ Farkel. By now, he's on a moat with no way out, LOL. ((((((FARK))))))

Karen,

Ain't it the truth? I remember in Elementary School, a couple of times we gave a ride home to some kids who were my friends. (I still remember their names. Kathy Procino and Barbie Baker. 2nd grade. bizarre)

Anyhow, I distinctly remember being embarrassed around the fourth or fifth grade because suddenly there were no more rides home for my friends. My mom or dad would say, "Nahhhh....not today." and then we would get a lecture about having worldly association.

Barbie moved when I was in fifth grade, and Kathy (who came from a good Italian Catholic family) drifted away.

By that time, the other kids started to notice who does and who doesn't participate. They begin to ask questions, and of course our stock answer, "Because we're Jehovah's Witnesses."

Then, the death knell. The School Brochure. We were directed NOT to say the above excuse, rather we were coached into the new Politically Correct answers for why we participated in no extra curricular activities. Why, look how lucky we were! We could even cite scriptures and encourage our friends to study the bible with us!!!

There is only so much teasing and being made fun of any kid can take. Developing a hide as tough as elephant skin was your only option. Secretly being pleased that those kids would get theirs at Armeggedon.

Eventually, you learn that YOUR way is the ONLY way. This is the message that the GB gives. It trickles down to the DO then to the CO then to the Elders, then to your parents, then to you. You never have options to explore alternative methods for resolving conflicts. You only know that when there is a conflict with 'independent thinking' and the 'borganization' that you cut that person out of your life. They reinforce it with their disfellowshipping doctrine as well. One day you can be best of friends with someone, the next day they are as good as dead.

Breeze said it best, burning bridges becomes second nature.

By the time you are an adult, you are thoroughly convinced--and socially isolated. Of course, in your mind it is justified by your knowing you are a "theatrical spectacle to the world." (Which you now welcome because it serves to further convince you just how right you are!!!)

So how to know when to fight and when to let go? It is up to you to make your own barometer. Here are some of mine.

1. If I do it your way, will the safety of any of my family members be at risk?

2. If I do it your way, will I be bettering our relationship ?

3. Is there middle ground we can both live with?

4. How will this decision reflect on me? Will I be viewed as someone with high standards or will I be seen as difficult to work with?

I hope this helps you all. Breeze, if you knew all the secrets I have kept you would be blown away. Teejay, dude, you know I love you. We cool like dat.

Lisa

• teejay
    teejay

Lisa,

I'd add:

If this relationship continues in this way, will I continue to feel the way I feel or will it get better (or worse)? Will I be able to live with myself?

As Dubs, we learned to put up with--even ACCEPT--total bullshit as if it were normal. We learned to ignore those inner impulses that this teaching or that activity was, not only wrong, but downright harmful to us. Eventually we silenced that inner voice that was put there to help us.

Nowadays, because of what I just said, I'm quick to pull the trigger. Sometimes maybe too quick. But I'm tired of being f***ed with, if you know what I mean. I'm through with being made to feel that my opinions, thoughts, and feelings are secondary in importance to someone else's. We put up with that long enough.

p.s. I can relate (very well) to your experiences with your schoolmates and how you came to see them as... uh... not your friends. Brings back some painful memories of too many friendships I could have had... but never did. God... I hate that religion...

• Jourles
    Jourles

A bit of Jourles own wisdom........

If one accidentally burns a bridge, be wary that the bridge does not fall on friends. But if one intentionally burns that bridge to shield himself from the masses, then it is most likely that he will also PISS on the ashes!

I know, I know. Calm down now. It wasn't that great, I agree. Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit