• silentlambs
    silentlambs

silentlambs

September 10, 2002

Branch Committee

Watchtower

The Ridgeway

Dear Brothers,

I wish to request a meeting with the Branch Committee on September 16, at 11 am to discuss Watchtower Policy on child abuse in the UK. I also would like to see how we might work together to assist the Governing Body in the USA to adjust policy for better protection of Jehovahs Witness children.

I realize this is short notice but I am traveling several thousand miles to be in your area and feel our meeting could be very productive.

Below as you will note are the added sentences that did not appear in the letter to all congregations in the USA dated May 24, 02. It has given many of our American brothers and sisters pause to see the difference between these two letters. The U. K. letter seems to go one step further than the counterpart. It states:

Our position is that the secular authorities deal with crime while elders deal with sin. To avoid a miscarriage of justice elders must not interfere with, prevent, or impede any secular investigation into child abuse. They must ensure that secular laws are adhered to. (Romans 13:1)

To that end they are instructed to contact the legal dept at whenever they receive information from even one person who alleges that child abuse has occurred. When a report is received guidance is given by the legal dept to ensure that:

1. The alleged victim and other potential victims are protected from possible abuse.

2. The council is given to report crime to the proper authorities and to comply with any additional legal requirements.

The elders know that it is the absolute right of the victim, his or her family or anyone else to report the matter to the authorities, if they so wish. (Galatians 6:5)

This difference gives credence to the following questions:

1. Why are U. K. brothers and sisters informed that all child abuse is reported to the authorities when in the USA they are not?

2. Why did the recent Panorama program in July, have several cases that indicated exactly the opposite occurred when U. K. Jehovahs Witness children were molested?

Page-2

3. Why has there been no acknowledgement or apology to the victims who were hurt by Watchtower Policy?

4. Why did various police officials acknowledge that Jehovahs Witnesses did not cooperate with them when child molestation was investigated in the U. K.?

Questions like these deserve an honest and Christian answer to help the public know where the truth lay. It also serves to help fellow Jehovahs Witnesses see that the local Branch has nothing to hide and is willing to do what is right by their children.

In good faith I look forward to our meeting. As the Governing Body stated in the letter to all congregations; The moral cleanness of the congregation continues to be of vital concern to the "faithful and discreet slave. (Matthew 24:45) This gives me hope we can find a productive basis to encourage the Governing Body to take the Christian course by placing the protection of our children as the highest priority in a religion that claims to be the only channel to God.

Thank you for your consideration and along with this letter goes my warm Christian love.

Very truly yours,

William H. Bowen

silentlambs

Edited by - silentlambs on 10 September 2002 1:59:39

Edited by - silentlambs on 10 September 2002 2:10:48

• Simon
    Simon

That should put the fear of god into them ! lol

"Bill, Bill, he's our man, if he can't do it no one can"
    "Go Bill ... Go Bill"

• Farkel
    Farkel

Bill,

I love a man with a mission, and you are a man with a mission. Men who don't want to make a difference are cowards. Go for it, Bill, and send all your naysayers to hell!

Farkel

• JEMIMAH
    JEMIMAH

Uk Branch Committee Members

John Andrews

Dennis Dutton

John Wynn

Bevan Vigo

Peter Ellis

Jack Dowson

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Bill,

This is an eye opener. With all the pressure to change their policies coming from the US. why did the US branch NOT include statements such as these in their May 24 letter?

Jst2laws

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

jem,

Ron Drage

Stephen A. Hardy

??

LL

Edited by - loyalleon on 10 September 2002 8:39:16

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord. He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored. His truth is marching on."

• scumrat
    scumrat

Paper Trails....Don't ya just love 'em............

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Re: the UK letter.

I like it!

Joseph

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Great job Bill! Do you remember what you told me Sat. night when I was talking to you about my j.w. brother? I ask what your comeback would be when he would tell me that *it was still the truth*. You had a killer reply and for the life of me I can't remember it. I'd also like to drive up one day and help out at Silentlambs, I'm just a hop-skip away. Could you email me your number so I can call ya?

Edited by - Tinkerbell4125 on 10 September 2002 8:50:38

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit