Legal question

by kenpodragon 27 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I work in a business that sometimes has teenagers purchasing or renting items from us. When they do so, we have to have a parent or legal guardian make the arrangements or sign any binding agreements. If we didn't, nothing would be worth the paper it was written on, as people under 18 can not enter into a legal arrangement on their own.

So here is my thought, how many of you were baptized under the age of 18? If so, does your agreement or commitment to the religion actually stand legally. Can they really say that you were old enough to know what you were doing? Because if a woman marries a man, and signs a "prenuptial agreement" it is void even 50 years later ... if she signed while underage.

Now here is my question, could you actually fight a disfellowshipping based on the fact that you were to young to ever really enter into a agreement legally in the first place?

What do you think?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I doubt the courts would touch it... free exercise of religion and all. Courts are VERY skittish about touching such things.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Disfellowshipping have been over turned in courts many times. We had it happen once in our local area.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

WOW!

I would love to hear more details about that!

• LDH
    LDH

ME TOO!!!!!

Lisa

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

It has happened all over the country. We even had a meeting as elders on how to treat people who got it reversed, how we should still see them as restricted ... even if the court over turned it. Just know this, a good lawyer can just about fight anything.

• Swan
    Swan

I have often wondered about that myself since I was only 15 when I stupidly made that decision. I was so young and foolish. I always figured that because it wasn't an actual contract on paper, only a verbal agreement at D'strict Convention, it wouldn't hold up in court. Also, as a religious organization, they have the right to choose to associate or exclude any person they want.

One thing I have wondered about though, and that is religious discrimination in the workplace. If a JW coworker treats you poorly in the workplace because you are shunned, isn't that a form of religious discrimination? I worked at a place with JWs before. At my current worksite, I tend to keep it quiet that I was raised in a religious cult, but a few friends do know. If a JW should come to work there and it should become common knowledge that I was an xJW, would I have any recourse if that person started treating me in a hostile manner in the workplace?

Tammy

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Swan

Hostile treatment and harassment at work, is very illegal!!!!!!!!!!! You could sue if they did not settle it for you. I spent over three months settle up all the legal info for our company to follow. Trust me, if it happens ... do not put up with it!

Dragon

• Farkel
    Farkel

: So here is my thought, how many of you were baptized under the age of 18?

We've argued this idea ad nauseum over the years. I was baptized at age 12 (in 1960 LONG before the NEWER vows) and even I won't touch it. There are better ways to skin the WTS. The WTS argues that this is a religious exercise and not a binding legal agreement and the courts have deigned to interfere with Cult religious "exercises."

Such an approach is not the way to attack the Achilles heel of the mighty Watchtower Printing and Lying Corporation(tm).

I'll repeat my mantra again: hit them in the pocketbooks. Only THEN will almighty God Jehovah get interested in them again and give them new light. Silentlambs et. al. is on the right track to do that. Trust me. I know.

This is all Bible-Based(tm).

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 7 September 2002 0:47:58

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Farkel

I agree ... I was just wondering if this was a loop hole. Basically saying, "I can not be DF'ed ... because I was never legally baptized"

Just wondering

Dragon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit