Farkel gave me an Idea!

by CC Ryder 13 Replies latest social physical

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

I just read about Farkels 1959 Corvette he drove out in service....LOL. That gave me an idea to start a thread for us gearheads (women included) who love Hot Rods and to brag about the ones they have/had!

I owned two '66 Chevy Impala's one with 283 C.I. and 300 HP. The other one was a '66 Implala SS with 396 C.I. 450 HP. 4:11 gears dual feed 1150 CFM Holly with electric fuel pumps mounted in the trunk. Headers, slicks, T10 Tranny. Got in alot of trouble with this one!!..LOL

The last one I owned was a '84 Mustang GT. 5.0 Hatchback with hoodscoop and spoilers.

We raced on RTE 8 out of Waterbury,Ct towards Torrington after midnight. Also raced at Ct, Dragway in Colechester, Ct.

How 'bout it all you gearheads....start bragging....You too Farkel....I hope the Vette wasn't the only cool car you owned....LOL

CC

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The other one was a '66 Implala SS with 396 C.I. 450 HP. 4:11 gears dual feed 1150 CFM Holly with electric fuel pumps mounted in the trunk. Headers, slicks, T10 Tranny

Over-carbureted, just like my 'Vette. I tried a 1150 Holly on mine, too. If 700 CFM was good, then 1150 must be better, right? We back-yard mechanics thought so back then. Fastest street-legal carbureted big-block Chevy I ever saw was a 454 cu with a 650 CFM Holly. The guy who owned and built it was formerly a professional road-racer. He had it in his Silverado pick-up truck and could blow away 928 Porches up to about 110 mph. He was the one who showed me that over-carburetion is a big mistake with a lot of racers.

I also had a 55 Pontiac with a 389 tri-power set-up (GTO motor) and helped a friend put a 260 small-block ford in an Austin Healey Sprite!

I raced dirt bikes after that. They were a lot cheaper than hot rods and it was a real kick to ride them. For me motos, hair and hounds, enduros and desert racing was way more thrilling than a drag strip.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 6 September 2002 1:21:13

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hey Farkel...I agree...I raced about four times at a drag strip...most racing I did was on the Interstate after midnight. We had quite a crew. Lookouts with two way radios on both ends of the run. Your right about the carb. But with a full race cam and solid lifters and high compression I didn't have too much bogging down...LOL..

The Hottest car I ran into was when my buddies and I went out answering ads for cars for sale. We went to this one place where the guy's mother let us in to see the car. It was a 1970 Chevelle. Completely looked stock. Until we opened the hood... 454 balanced and blueprinted, twin 4's on a tarantula manifold....Chrome EVERYWHERE!!!....This was in 1972. He was asking $2,000 for it!!!.....Wish I had that same offer now.

CC

• musky
    musky

I can top your cars. Get this , I got a 4 door saturn. Yaahh baabby! That things really has good pickup.

• Farkel
    Farkel

CC,

I forget to mention something significant. I bought my last 'Vette engine new from the factory in 1968 and immediately took it still in the crate to a machine shop in South Gate, California to have it balanced and blueprinted. It was a rather well-known machine shop in those days. Guess who owned it, and who did the work on my engine? My former wife waited on him all the time at the bank where she worked. Keith Black himself. That's a fact! A lot of Long Beach area guys owned their own shops those days and were just becoming famous at the time. I bought my hardened axles from Henry himself. If you're a racer, you've heard of Henry's axles!

My wife also waited on Gary Lewis (Jerry Lewis' son) who's group the "Playboys" had some hits back then. She was like a giddy girl every time he came into the bank!

Farkel
    Waxing Nostalgic Class

• LDH
    LDH

With a few minor modifications, I would've had a muscle car!!!!

Upon my graduation from high school I was gifted (cursed!!!) with a 1976 Chevy Nova. Quit Laughing. It was the ideal pioneer car for a 16 year old.

1. The heater handle was broken. I kept a screwdriver handy to jam in there and turn it on.

2. It was that hideous sky blue metallic color, but had 4 doors.

3. The Owner's Manual referred to the dashboard as "The Omega Cluster." I am laughing so f*#&$ing hard right now. That gave my sister and me a million laughs.

Just thought I'd share.

• TR
    TR

Farkel,

I raced dirt bikes after that. They were a lot cheaper than hot rods and it was a real kick to ride them. For me motos, hair and hounds, enduros and desert racing was way more thrilling than a drag strip

Dirt biking is my fave activity. I've got a '01 KDX 220R and my monster '96 Husaberg FE501. Also have a vintage '80 Yamamha IT125.

Hey Lisa,

I had a '76 Nova, dark blue with shiny chrome Cragar wheels on low profile 60 tires, 2 door hatchback with a manual 3 speed on the floor. My wife and I first "met" in that car.:)

TR

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hey Farkel...No I wasn't a hardened racer. Just a back yard gearhead who spent every penny on parts, gas and oil...oh yeah wax too..LOL. I heard of Kieth Black but thats about it. I also heard about Henry's axles but know little about that too. I have a red 4 x 4 Ford F150XL pickup truck. Nat drives a Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

Farkel, I was wondering if you bored out the pistons as well on that engine? Didn't recognize the desplacement size in your other post?

Lisa.....that was tooo funny....LOL. Sounds like the cars my sister drove, She quit High School to pioneer. She had a Nova, and a Chevy Impala. Then she wised up and faded out of the Borg. She got herself a Camaro and then a Dodge Laser.

TR...Tink would relate to Dirt Bikes...she had started riding them around 8 or 9. You never owned a Hot Rod? The one with wheels I mean......LOL

Musky...almost, but not quite!

CC

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

In 1985 I bought a '68 Cougar. It WAS in mint condition. It was black with maroon inteiror . Not a scratch on it inside or out.It purred like a kitten. I bought it from a little old lady that just drove it to church on sundy(totally serious)She sold it to me for just $900.00 dollars because that was how much her eye operation was.I let my boyfriend drive it to work and one day he was showing off for his friends and lost control of it and rolled it 3 times.It was totalled!!!I am still sick about it to this day!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

HA! Laughing at Lisa for having a Nova, lol. Oh wait, my best friend in high school drove a blue Nova six cylinder. That's funnier, cuz he's a he.

*note to self: keep Ruby away from mom and mom's car titles*

My first car was a 71 firebird. It had a blueprinted and balanced 350 big block, two barrel, but was, very fast. I knew the car so well that I could smoothly shift w/o using the clutch, thru all 4 gears going up, and also going down. There's no doubt a whole click & clack episode talking about whether it's ok to do that or not, lol.

By the time I sold it, I was over the big, heavy American cars; I thought they were junk. They were, but I guess the fun was in improving them. Now I get kinda nostalgic when I hear the muffled but unmistakably V8 sound coming from my truck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit