trying to understand

by DixieDarlin07148 29 Replies latest jw friends

• DixieDarlin07148
    DixieDarlin07148

I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 16 and an active JW.I'm a Baptist and very stong in my belief and Love of God.My boyfriend and I haven't been together that long but were very serious and plan on getting married (When the time is right).We both know that we have no intentions of raising our children JW but as Baptist and he tells me that he wants to get out of JW but right now its very hard for him because he still lives with his parents and His mother and oldest sister are very active JW.And i understand all that its just that because I Love him so much I want to understand about his life and the way he was raised and what he was raised to believe but hes made it very clear that he doesnt want to explain it or talk about it hes told me some stuff but very little.I'm just wondering about their beliefs and what the JW's have to say about us dating and just any information anyone can provide!!!!Thank-you very much!!!!!

• justbeingafriend
    justbeingafriend

Hello Dixie! Well I have friend in another country that is a JW.I can understand you wanting to know about your boyfriends beliefs..I was raised a Baptist..so I asked my friend, after I found out he was a JW, that it would be good to discuss our beliefs..He said sure..it would be..but he has yet to do it..I want to know..but yet I don't want to scare him off..my friendship is unconditional..I want him to believe the same as me..and I pray that I will say the right thing whenever I e-mail him.He never would talk about it..so I looked up various websites to answer my questions concerning JW.Go to this website..
    http://kpjournal.homestead.com/testimonies.html.This is a good website..and I hope it will help you..Take care..
    justbeingafriend

• unanswered
    unanswered

dixie-just by reading many of the posts here you can learn a lot about the jws(albeit from a sometimes biased perspective). many different views are expressed here. IMHO at just 16, your boyfriend will have to make a lot of decisions-the decision to stay with or leave the witness org. being just one.

• TR
    TR

Hi Dixie, Welcome!

Hey, now I know I'm not your dad, but you guys are young, especially your boyfriend. He's only 16, barely old enough to drive a car. keep some space for the next 4 years or so. He's just a kid. If I were you, I would not think about marriage until after college. You are planning on college, aren't you? You have lots of time to live, so don't get all hyper over a 16 year old boy. He needs several years to mature, and you being a girl are probably ahead in the maturity department by several years. He needs about 10 more years.

Love is not enough, Dixie. This boy has to prove to have good character, morals, ethics, etc. He has to show that he can take care of a family, and not be a deadbeat. If he remains a JW, there are going to be problems. There are many years ahead before he can prove to be a suitable marriage candidate. Just some advise that I hope you listen to.

Check out http://www.freeminds.org for more info on JW's.

TR

Edited by - TR on 22 March 2001 12:31:5

• Tina
    Tina

Hi TR,
    Well said,I agree!!
    Dixie TR has given very sound advice here,cheers,Tina

• trevor
    trevor

Dixie,

A snowball in hell has more chance of surviving than this relationship.
    If you thought otherwise you wouldn't be asking.
    You need a man your life but I am spoken for.
    You gotta-liva-your-life baby.
    It's a big world out there!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Dixie,
    I am a former Baptist, now a JW elder. Dixie, it would be good to understand your friends religion. We stand out as different from the Baptist in that we teach Jehovah is the creator and father, Jesus is his son who came to offer a perpetual sacrifice in exchange for our lives, the holy spirit is simply a the power of God in action, and this loving God does not torture people in eternal torment for disappointing him. The earth will eventually become a paradise as God intended, where man will live without death, illness, pain, or war. Look at Psalms 37:10+29, Isaiah 2:4, Revelation 21:4 for a start.

Now reality! On this site you will find some negative comment about Jehovah's Witnesses and many disserved. While I for one believe we have many basic truths lost by my former affiliation, the Baptist, we have many flaws. You will hear of corrupt leadership, tolerance of child molestation, needless deaths due to refusal of blood transfusions, lost opportunities due to a strange attitude toward higher education, marriage, childbearing and a host of subjects in which I regret to admit we should never have got involved. You may hear so much of this about JW's it is easy to forget that the Catholics, Baptist and all other denominations have similar if not worse histories. We though stand out as having one of the most arrogant and controlling leaderships you will ever find. I regret this yet we still have a body of basic beliefs that is hard to find anywhere.

But you have bigger issues with which to concern yourself. Your probably tired of being told you are too young, but you and especially your boy friend are in the process of change. Like it are not you will become a different person in the next couple of years. What you like or love now will be different in many ways 4 or 6 years from now. You may love your boy friend today, but who and what will he be 6 years from now? Its likely he will not be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact there is probably more likelyhood you will be a JW years from now than your boyfriend, unless you hang around here too much.
    Please be patient, and keep an open mind.
    Love
    jst2laws

• mommy
    mommy

Hey Dixie,
    I will get to you in a minute.
    jst2laws,
    I agreed with you up until this point

and this loving God does not torture people in eternal torment for disappointing him.

He doesn't eternally torture like so many believe in the hell theory. BUT your religion does torture the ones who choose not to believe. Everyone but JW are going to die right? If a family member leaves the org they are rejected by their family, treated worse than dog crap. So in my eyes this is the eternal torture.
    Ok Dixie back to you,
    I enjoyed chatting with you today, and am glad that you are willing to check out your boyfriends religion. I think the others have given you good advice. You know us older ones forget how it is to be young and in love You have years ahead of you to figure out what is right fo ryou. And I hope all the best.
    wendy

• JT
    JT

Just2laws says:
    You may hear so much of this about JW's it is easy to forget that the Catholics, Baptist and all other denominations have similar if not worse histories.

so my dear friend j2

if you have "Similar" histories as the rest of Babylon the Great then that makes you no better or worse than them

all the things that you pointed out that wt should not have been involved in points directly to their problem

to claim some special relationship with god and at the same time have the same history as the rest of the religons wt condemns is a double standard

how can one faith be dogged and another not when they in fact are doing the same thing and what is that?

"Making the claim that thier information is from god/based on the bible/not the opinion of men and with the passing of time is revealed to be neither from god/ nor based on the bible and entirely the opinion of men"

so while your counsel for her to reconsider marriage at this time is excellent- your comments about wt are not "Completely" accurate

just my 2 cents

james

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

jst2laws,

Quote A

we have many flaws. You will hear of corrupt leadership, tolerance of child molestation, needless deaths due to refusal of blood transfusions, lost opportunities due to a strange attitude toward higher education, marriage, childbearing and a host of subjects in which I regret to admit we should never have got involved. You may hear so much of this about JW's it is easy to forget that the Catholics, Baptist and all other denominations have similar if not worse histories. We though stand out as having one of the most arrogant and controlling leaderships you will ever find.

Quote B

The earth will eventually become a paradise as God intended, where man will live without death, illness, pain, or war. Look at Psalms 37:10+29, Isaiah 2:4, Revelation 21:4 for a start.

So, as a JW elder, you spend time teaching others, and preaching to others, that they should join a truly mixed up bunch of arrogant people (quote A, and yes, the arrogance does include all the DO's, CO's, Elders, Pioneers, and even at heart, the loyal Rank & file), in hopes of being in the only frat house that gets to take advantage of a reward (quote B) perhaps implied, but not explicitly stated, by the Bible.

If your Bible based concience isn't getting to you, at least you ought to listen to the God given concience you were born with. You know the one, the little voice of common sense in the back of your head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit