Is the Org Putting Elders in the Firing Line?

by The Searcher 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

In view of the Conti verdict of negligence by the Org, are elders who are selected by the C.O. now in a precarious position?

"Charity trustees face potential liabilities in a number of ways. Probably the area where charity trustees face the greatest risk of personal liability is where they act in breach of duty or in some way negligently or fraudulently."

http://www.ppowers.com/info/How%20not%20to%20fall%20for%20the%20pitfalls%20_Jennifer%20Chambers_.pdf

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Hope so. Elders need to feel what it's like to sit in front of some Judicial review and sweat it out

• millie210
    millie210

At some point in life, I have been the daughter of, the sister of, the wife of and the mother of

an elder.

They are either men that are of the greatest integrity and character or they are small town cops who finally found a job.

Then there is the occasional crazy but they are self limiting to a degree.

I couldnt write enough about the good ones (a great many of them are here amongst us)

the bad ones?

Make me believe firing squads.are a good idea.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I believe they are and they will only get away with it for a couple of times before word spreads. They absolutely made the C.O responsible for appointing elders to create a layer of legal separation between them and the elders if something goes wrong. What these elders have to remember is that it will be their names (and public reputation) that will get splashed across the headlines if they implement of do the wrong thing, and I'm pretty sure Wt won't be helping them out when they are ostracized in the street.
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    What goes around comes around even for those who obediently/thoughtlessly carry out divine edicts of his majesty the faithful and always right discreetly slave.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Let's just say this, while YOUR ass ( Eldubs ) is being interrogated, while YOU are spending sleepless nights wondering why Jeehoober lets YOU be tested, while YOU get YOUR face plastered on YouTube, while YOU look like an idiot to the world, Gerrit Loesch will be dodging HIS court appearance.

DD

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If a governing body member ever finds himself facing charges or a lawsuit, they will spend every dime they took away from the congregations to keep him out of jail and to keep him from paying.

If they every feel it's easier to throw local elders under the bus for following their orders, they will do it.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The elders will now face the same legal challenges and responsibilities that a main stream's clergy and pastors do. The appointment is a reflection on the organization's change over to a "religious" structure - the elders are the clergy. The JW elders would do well to educate themselves on the legal culpability their positions will place on them.

Whatever applies to the "clergy", in terms of liability, will probably apply to them. If so, I wonder if it will go both ways? Will the WTS be held accountable for provision of certain benefits to their "clergy"? Will the elder position eventually become a paid position, like a pastor or minister or priest? Or will the elders just continue to be the unpaid clergy for the WTS? Would that be considered a taxable donation to the WTS - volunteer hours given back to the "charity"?

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    If a couple of elders lose their shirt in a lawsuit over one of their decisions, the WT will be hard press to recruit any new elders. It is a double edge sword here. They can't distance themselves from the body of elders without supporting their judicial decisions and expect that more will step up to put their necks on the line.
  • Village Idiot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit